2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

10 hours ago, sblfilms said:

How is the house?

Dry, few shingles gone and a tree down on the guest house but it didn't breach. Just ran the generator for 8 hours and it only used 4% of the 500 gallon tank so we're good for a few days but we heard the gas company trucks are out topping off tanks. On the drive home there was a massive convoy of utility trucks driving from Indiana driving into region. Current estimate is Friday. 

The yard is destroyed, about 40 trees down, house got surrounded by a foot of surge that brought in a ton of debris all the way up the driveway. Massive erosion on the beach and behind the bulkhead. Our rocks are scattered all over the place, my immediate neighbor completely lost their bulkhead (rip $50k). Our pool fence is completely gone. 

Worst areas are New Bern, Newport, and further south Wilmington. Local Base Commanders have been freed to just act so Camp Lejune and Cherry Point are sending out Marines and sheltering people. My area has had over 300 water rescues. Wilmington is the worst I think, every road in is cut off, and they've had over 500 rescues. Supplies are only able to get in by air. 

Things are coming back faster than I thought though, a few gas stations are open and grocery stores are letting people in a few at a time. 

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Itt we pretend that finding accommodation that accepts pets during a mass evacuation situation is easy and/or affordable. Don't get me wrong, the 'owners' are probably a couple of fucks, but still. Sometimes it literally can't be helped.

Especially if you're being forced to choose between your pets and your kids. 

10 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Itt we pretend that finding accommodation that accepts pets during a mass evacuation situation is easy and/or affordable. Don't get me wrong, the 'owners' are probably a couple of fucks, but still. Sometimes it literally can't be helped.

I'm sorry this is bullshit I'd sooner sleep on the street with my dogs than leave them to die. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

I'm sorry this is bullshit I'd sooner sleep on the street with my dogs than leave them to die. 

If it was just me and my dogs, sure, I'd definitely make that decision. But if I had to choose between my dogs and my kids? What an impossible situation to be in.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

If it was just me and my dogs, sure, I'd definitely make that decision. But if I had to choose between my dogs and my kids? What an impossible situation to be in.

I have a beagle, so I cannot :guillotine:abandoning ones beagle hard enough.

That said, surely letting the dogs loose and giving them a chance is a better option than leaving them caged up. But who knows, maybe they didn’t have time for even that.

30 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

That said, surely letting the dogs loose and giving them a chance is a better option than leaving them caged up. But who knows, maybe they didn’t have time for even that.

Yeah...this is a little more relevant to something faster-moving like the forest fires in places like California, but I feel like one possibility that people often overlook is that circumstances cut them off from being able to get back in time to save the pets.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

All I'm saying is it is really easy to rush to judgement on this without looking at each individual case. Maybe they are terrible people. Maybe not. Who knows.

Yeah, the assumption that these are terrible people who locked up their dogs to die in a hurricane is only one of many possible scenarios. Not sure why people leap to the worst of all scenarios.

As an example of something similar, a couple of my friends left their house during Harvey to go pick up some other friends who had to evacuate. Unbeknownst to them, the flood control authority decided to release water from some flood control reservoirs into their neighborhood which caused their home to flood. They couldn’t get to their home for 3 or 4 days until a boat was made available. Fortunately their animals were able to go upstairs and stay dry.

Natural disasters cary a high level of unpredictability, including in regards to flooding. We simply can’t know outside of the owners telling the story as to why the dogs ended up locked in the kennel while they left.