2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

Republicans on my Facebook feed are blaming Hollywood for the massive housing crisis in Eastern NC "guess they don't think we deserve help since we voted for Trump". Houses are still being condemned left and right, no hotels within 2 hours, no storage units, and FEMA is pretty useless. 

Regarding Flood Insurance, you'd have to abandon everything east of Raleigh. Flood Insurance really doesn't kick in for the big homes, it's mostly for the poor here. Wind and Driving Rain are the policies that the big homes are using. The big homes are almost all high up on pilings so we don't really flood. My parents are thinking about dropping it. All you'd do is further hurt the poor here and they aren't ever leaving. 

Republicans in NC are slowly coming around to the fact that global warming isn't just nonsense, but is actually affecting their lives now, lol.  Still plenty burying their heads in the sand though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-north-carolina-hurricanes-do-what-scientists-could-not-persuade-republicans-that-climate-change-is-real/2018/10/17/45136c56-d0ac-11e8-8c22-fa2ef74bd6d6_story.html?utm_term=.4f6f020042f7

“I’m not a scientist. I just know what I see,” said Carl Marshburn, a Republican who has operated tour boats along the Cape Fear River for three decades. He said he’s had to start coating the bottom of his river boats with antifouling paint to prevent barnacles and other marine organisms from growing amid saltwater intrusion.

An Elon University survey taken in early October, after Hurricane Florence hit, showed that 37 percent of Republicans believe global warming is “very likely” to negatively impact North Carolina coastal communities in the next 50 years. That is nearly triple the percentage of Republicans — 13 percent — who felt that way in 2017.

The percentage of Republicans who felt climate change is “not at all likely” to harm the state’s coastal communities dropped by 10 points over the past year — from 41 percent in 2017 to 31 percent now.

Plenty of residents in North Carolina’s southeastern corner still reject the science, attributing changing weather patterns to God and the cycle of nature. A group of college students fishing off a pier on the barrier island of Wrightsville Beach last week called climate change a “load of crap.” A surfer taking advantage of Hurricane Michael’s turbulent waves dismissed it as “propaganda.” A sunburned construction worker said it’s not worth worrying about because “God takes care of it.”

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

The administration probably didn't realize that Panama City is in Florida and was hesitant to help those foreigners out by the canal.

Why should we give foreign aid to the canal Mexicans? Did you McCain was a canal Mexican?