Anyone planning to see Hellboy this weekend?

https://screenrant.com/hellboy-2019-rewrites-issues-harbour-marshall/

A recently released report has suggested that the upcoming reboot of Hellboy was something of a nightmare behind the scenes, with rushed rewrites, conflicts between high-ranking staff members, and walkouts perpetrated by a principal cast member. This comes on the heels of a surprisingly negative reception from critics (including Screen Rant's own review) as the film currently sits at 10% on Rotten Tomatoes.

via Darkhorizons

“Hellboy” Clashes Emerge As Film Widely Panned

Media screenings and review embargoes for the “Hellboy” reboot were held back until the last minute, lifting late yesterday. As reaction went up however, the reason was understandable.

With 58 reviews counted, the film sits at a dismal 12% on Rotten Tomatoes with the film widely panned for practically every element – labelling it loud, incoherent, and empty.

In the wake of the reviews, a new report has gone up at The Wrap suggesting there’s a reason for this. The trade says the end result is due to disagreements between the film’s two main producers (out of sixteen total), Harbour, and director Neil Marshall.

The site alleges producers Lawrence Gordon and Lloyd Levin fired Marshall’s go-to cinematographer Sam McCurdy for doing his job, and the decision to do so was “to send a message to Marshall that despite being the film’s director, Marshall was not in charge”. Lorenzo Senatore ultimately served as cinematographer.

That was just one of the numerous apparent disagreements on set. Others allegedly included Levin interrupting Marshall frequently in front of the crew and gave actors different directions than the director, Harbour repeatedly walking off set, Harbour and Ian McShane reportedly rewriting their own scenes and ignoring direction from Marshall, and a prolonged dispute over the design of a tree that’s core to the film’s story.

In addition, it says after Marshall handed in his cut of the film the producers reportedly took over as they never promised him final cut. Gordon and Levin worked on the previous “Hellboy” films and are teaming up again for HBO’s “Watchmen” series.

Marshall, Harbour, McShane, Gordon and a Lionsgate spokesman declined to comment for the story, but Levin’s attorney Martin Singer responded to basically every accusation in the story and says it sounded like it was “shaping up as a puff-piece for Mr. Marshall while tarnishing ‘Hellboy’ and my client.”

The previous “Hellboy” films opened at $23 million and $35 million domestically, with the new one projected to earn $17-20 million this weekend.

TheWrap gave it a good review akin to it being a cheap horror flik, so I'm interested in seeing it

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

Nope. I am gonna see Shazam, then endgame down the road, and I think those are the only movies I plan on seeing this year. 

You aren't going to watch Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Spider-Man: Far From Home, Joker, IT: Chapter 2, John Wick 3: Parabellum, Toy Story 4, Zombieland Double Tap or Star Wars episode IX?

1 minute ago, Remarkableriots said:

You aren't going to watch Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Spider-Man: Far From Home, Joker, IT: Chapter 2, John Wick 3: Parabellum, Toy Story 4, Zombieland Double Tap or Star Wars episode IX?

Oh, well, maybe Joker. John Wick 3 is pretty iffy. I'll most likely be fine waiting for it to hit red box. 

I really had high hopes for this movie despite all the rumors while it was being made that the film was being taken away from Neil Marshall (wrote and directed: Dog Soldiers, The Descent, Doomsday, Centurion, two of the best episodes of Game of Thrones and one of the best episodes of Hannibal) and the fact the film had 16 producers and was super low budget didn't inspire confidence either.

But Neil Marshall is a great director, Mike Mignola was on board and saying the film would be even truer to the comics than del Toro's version, and David Harbour was a good choice if you had to replace Ron Perlman. I even liked the two trailers I saw. But yeah, reviews are destroying it, so I won't be seeing it now.

It's a shame, as I just showed the wife Hellboy and Hellboy II: The Golden Army (her first time with both) and she really liked them (more than I was expecting) and I didn't even mean to time showing those to her in preparation for this one but then when I realized how serendipitous this was I showed her the trailers for this one and she got hyped too. Now with reviews being this bad I'll just show her the two really good Hellboy animated films instead with the del Toro cast voicing the characters. Probably better than going to this. 

8 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I enjoyed the del Toro movies (at least I vaguely remember liking them, haven't watched them in over a decade), but Hellboy as a property doesn't really excite me. I guess I'm saying that I'm not all that disappointed that this one is a turd. 

del Toro's were enjoyable as hell and seeing this abomination only makes me appreciate them more

I saw this tonight. I've never read a Hellboy comic, but I've seen the previous 2. This film has a lot of problems, most glaringly (to me) being rough CGI...but hell, I had fun. Certainly no game changer & pretty forgettable, but if you have A-List or Sinemia & want to kill a couple hours with some dumb fun, I'd say check it out (unless you haven't seen Shazam...then go see Shazam lol). 

I should add that I did not know the RT score before walking in, and I had read no reviews...so if you're someone who has their opinions a bit pre-painted by that stuff prior to seeing a film, then you may not even get any dumb fun out of it. I find if I walk in with no, or little, review knowledge then I'm able to better decide if I like something. So YMMV. 

7 hours ago, TheRealSmallville said:

I saw this tonight. I've never read a Hellboy comic, but I've seen the previous 2. This film has a lot of problems, most glaringly (to me) being rough CGI...but hell, I had fun. Certainly no game changer & pretty forgettable, but if you have A-List or Sinemia & want to kill a couple hours with some dumb fun, I'd say check it out (unless you haven't seen Shazam...then go see Shazam lol). 

I should add that I did not know the RT score before walking in, and I had read no reviews...so if you're someone who has their opinions a bit pre-painted by that stuff prior to seeing a film, then you may not even get any dumb fun out of it. I find if I walk in with no, or little, review knowledge then I'm able to better decide if I like something. So YMMV. 

reviews never influence if I like or dislike a movie, and often I enjoy the heck out of poorly reviewed movies and don't enjoy those that get rave review, but I seriously considered getting up and walking out of this one. And you are indeed right, that CGI was rough as hell. Almost seemed like it wasn't finished, like the special effects guys had tossed some stuff together to give the director a rough idea of what it was going to look like and then never went back and finished.