Update: Biden administration's new "Remain in Mexico" policy is EVEN MORE restrictive than the Imbecile's

11 hours ago, outsida said:

What? They can detain her for past infractions?

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Was she arrested because of that past infraction? Or was it just found out after arresting her for some BS reason?

I really don't know what the formal charges are right now -  I'll probably have a better idea today or tomorrow.

My cousin's girlfriend's detention by ICE appears to be based on an accusation that she voted illegally as a resident alien which she said never happened.  She has the IDENTICAL name as her grandmother who IS a US citizen and voted by mail in North Carolina while she lives in Atlanta.

The hearing is tomorrow.

13 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

My cousin's girlfriend's detention by ICE appears to be based on an accusation that she voted illegally as a resident alien which she said never happened.  She has the IDENTICAL name as her grandmother who IS a US citizen and voted by mail in North Carolina while she lives in Atlanta.

The hearing is tomorrow.

Sigh. I hope she can sue the fuck out of them for incompetence.

Update on my cousin's girlfriend's ICE situation.

The pre-trial hearing in Atlanta was yesterday.  It started with the judge asking the ICE officer if they had any solid evidence that she had voted illegally in North Carolina - a photograph, a video, anything.  The ICE officer responded that they had no evidence of that sort.  Her attorney asked that the case be transferred to NC and the judge immediately agreed to the change of venue.  The judge also agreed that she could continue to travel within the US unimpeded on her green card as her job requires that.  When the case is heard in NC, her grandmother who has the same name, has US citizenship, and is the one who LEGALLY voted in NC will be present to provide testimony.

The entirety of ICE's case rests on the NC mail-in ballot.

3 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

The only positive is that the attorneys are working pro-bono on this one due to familial connections.

Something I think the US could benefit from is the common-law policy of awarding the loser all court costs. In Canada, it REALLY dissuaded frivolous lawsuits since the loser has to pay the other's legal costs. That includes the government. So you typically only see charges go forward in cases where the public prosecutor thinks they have an airtight case.

ICE Raids Targeted Company Whose Workers Won Discrimination Lawsuit

The arrests targeted chicken processing plants operated by Koch Foods, one of the largest poultry producers in the U.S. Last year, Koch Foods paid out $3.75 million to settle an Equal Employment Opportunities Commission class-action suit charging the company with sexual harassment, national origin and race discrimination, and retaliation against Latino workers at one of its Mississippi plants. Labor activists say it’s the latest raid to target factories where immigrant workers have organized unions, fought back against discrimination or challenged unsafe and unsanitary conditions.

• Guillotine 1