Sony confirms it will stop allowing retaliers to sell PS4 game download codes effective April 1st

Commissar SFLUFAN

For digital Sony games, PSN will be the only option.

Sony has confirmed that it will indeed prevent retailers like GameStop from selling digital download codes for PlayStation 4 games starting April 1st, 2019. The news, first circulated late last week via a leaked memo obtained by popular game deals watcher Wario64, means that players who do not want to input credit card information into Sony’s PSN platform will no longer be able to buy digital versions of games from physical brick-and-mortar stores. Sony confirmed that it isn’t just GameStop being cut out of the download code business, but all retailers.

• Like 1

I'm guessing that the only reason that this was ever an option is that retailers had some amount of leverage over Sony. If Sony wasn't going to allow them to sell download codes, maybe the Playstation would get shoved to the back of the store or they wouldn't participate in promotions or whatever. At this point it's pretty clear that whatever leverage they did have is gone. Why should Sony let anyone else get that cut?

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

GameStop and Best Buy I can see them bullying. Walmart i can see not caring. But I’m super curious how that conversation will go with Amazon haha. Like what if Amazon said, “fine, we won’t carry you games at all then”

Did Amazon sort of do that with Nintendo over something. I cant remember exactly why, but I remember Amazon was refusing to carry Nintendo products directly for a period of time. 

13 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

Did Amazon sort of do that with Nintendo over something. I cant remember exactly why, but I remember Amazon was refusing to carry Nintendo products directly for a period of time. 

Yeah I vaguely remember that. Amazon's got a lot more muscle in this department and a lot less reason to give a shit as they're obviously not reliant on having Sony's products for massive profits.

I wonder if they'll do anything? Probably not, but it's good fun to watch these little fights break out instead of people just rolling over, assuming all parties involved don't just roll over.

2 hours ago, Littleronin said:

The 3DS had dead pixel problem and amazon got tired of dealing with returns

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I always delete my card info after I get something on PS store. Sony is untrustworthy, and has had persistent "hacking" issues.

I think at this point that might be a bit extreme. They had the really bad breach what like 6-7 years ago? 

I don't think it’s any more risky to have it on there as opposed to any other big store. 

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

I think at this point that might be a bit extreme. They had the really bad breach what like 6-7 years ago? 

I don't think it’s any more risky to have it on there as opposed to any other big store. 

There was an issue with accounts getting "hacked" and people getting buying loads of fifa bucks. It happened with another game as well.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

There was an issue with accounts getting "hacked" and people getting buying loads of fifa bucks. It happened with another game as well.

That was an issue specific to FIFA and not exclusive to the PS4 IIRC. And I also think it was akin to a phishing scam, requiring the user to get tricked, but I might be wrong there. 

Anyway, your CC is fine with Sony.