Feb 2019 NPD: Anthem #1, Jump Force #2, KHIII #3, Far Cry #4, RDR2 #5, Switch best-selling hardware

SaysWho?

https://venturebeat.com/2019/03/19/february-2019-npd-anthem-and-jump-force-tops-software-sales/

https://venturebeat.com/2019/03/19/switch-outsells-xbox-ps4/

1. Anthem^
  2. Jump Force
  3. Kingdom Hearts III
  4. Far Cry New Dawn
  5. Red Dead Redemption II
  6. Resident Evil 2 2019
  7. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  8. Metro: Exodus^
  9. NBA 2K19
  10. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII^
  11. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe*
  12. Mario Kart 8*
  13. Grand Theft Auto V
  14. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  15. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  16. Minecraft#
  17. Super Mario Party*
  18. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
  19. Madden NFL 19^
  20. Marvel's Spider-Man

* Digital sales not included
^ PC digital sales not included
# Minecraft sales include all physical & digital on PlayStation and Xbox platforms

Top 10 best selling titles (Year to Date 2019)

1. Kingdom Hearts III
  2. Anthem^
  3. Resident Evil 2 2019
  4. Jump Force
  5. Red Dead Redemption II
  6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  7. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII^
  8. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe*
  9. NBA 2K19
  10. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown

Top 10 Xbox One titles (February 2019)

1. Anthem
  2. Jump Force
  3. Far Cry New Dawn
  4. Red Dead Redemption II
  5. Kingdom Hearts III
  6. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  7. NBA 2K19
  8. Resident Evil 2 2019
  9. Metro: Exodus
  10. Grand Theft Auto V

Top 10 PS4 titles (February 2019)

1. Anthem
  2. Jump Force
  3. Kingdom Hearts III
  4. Red Dead Redemption II
  5. Resident Evil 2 2019
  6. Metro: Exodus
  7. Far Cry New Dawn
  8. NBA 2K19
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  10. Marvel's Spider-Man

Top 10 Switch titles (February 2019)

1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  2. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
  3. Mario Kart 8
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  5. Super Mario Party
  6. Super Mario Odyssey
  7. Pokemon: Lets Go Pikachu
  8. Pokemon: Lets Go Eevee
  9. Splatoon 2
  10. Minecraft

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

Yeah, arena fighters are kinda “meh” compared to more visceral 2D ones. But, it has all those recognizable manga/anime characters. It’s gonna sell.

You sir haven’t played a good round of gundam vs gundam :talkhand::)

• 2 weeks later...

The Kotaku Anthem article made me go back to this thread to read the summary, but now I realized something else...

Crackdown didn't crack Top 20. You actually had to go down the chart really far past the Top 20 to find it, despite Sea of Thieves/State of Decay 2 charting last year and the statement that GamePass increases game sales. G'damn.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

The Kotaku Anthem article made me go back to this thread to read the summary, but now I realized something else...

Crackdown didn't crack Top 20. You actually had to go down the chart really far past the Top 20 to find it, despite Sea of Thieves/State of Decay 2 charting last year and the statement that GamePass increases game sales. G'damn.

I gamepassed the shit out of Crackdown!

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

I gamepassed the shit out of Crackdown!

Seriously. Last year, the games they released charted quite well and GamePass was credited by Spencer for increasing game sales, but Crackdown didn't move any units. The critical response took its toll. tbh, I forgot it released.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Seriously. Last year, the games they released charted quite well and GamePass was credited by Spencer for increasing game sales, but Crackdown didn't move any units. The critical response took its toll. tbh, I forgot it released.

Yeah but I actually bought Sea of Thieves and never Gamepassed it.

And I account for all of the SoT sales!

Could also be a sign of more and more game pass subscribers.  They’ve been running the $1 first month promo for awhile I think, dint think they did that last year around the Sea of Thieves or State of Decay launches. 

Sea of Thieves being sold as a game as a service as well I’d think would push more to buy it rather than play it for a month. Did Sea of Thieves review well?

State of Decay 2 was only what, $30/$40?  Crackdown was a full $60 I believe. 

Gamepass will be be interesting to watch with future MS games though.  I still think they’d be perfectly reasonable to have their first party stuff come out 3 months later on the service as opposed to Day 1.

How did Forza Horizon 4 do last year?

22 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Could also be a sign of more and more game pass subscribers.  They’ve been running the $1 first month promo for awhile I think, dint think they did that last year around the Sea of Thieves or State of Decay launches. 

Sea of Thieves being sold as a game as a service as well I’d think would push more to buy it rather than play it for a month. Did Sea of Thieves review well.

I doubt there was a substantial difference between 2018 and 2019 to the point where it wouldn't even show up on Xbox's Top 10 (and well below 20 according to ZhugeEx). Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 didn't review well, either.

22 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

State of Decay 2 was only what, $30/$40?  Crackdown was a full $60 I believe. 

Gamepass will be be interesting to watch with future MS games though.  I still think they’d be perfectly reasonable to have their first party stuff come out 3 months later on the service as opposed to Day 1.

How did Forza Horizon 4 do last year?

The charts are by revenue, not units sold, so SoD2 charted number 1 despite being half price and each copy bringing in less revenue.

FH4 charted 4 on XBO and 11 against RDR2, Call of Duty, Mario, Assassin's Creed and Spidey.

Crackdown 3 simply bombed hard.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I believe it got middling reviews. It's not till they updated it a whole bunch and streamers made it popular again but a lot of reviewers will refuse to go back and play it now.

And despite that, it charted very well. Along with the delay being because MS wanted Crackdown to sit next to Halo/Gears, this is a pretty poor result. Pity because Sumo Digital is a talented development team, though they had to take over a big mess.

7 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Wasn't Crackdown also like the most played game on Xbox that month though.  So even that it didnt "Sell" well, it was being played by a lot of people through Game Pass?

Did Forza Horizon 4 chart well?

Forza did. All of them did except Crackdown. It just did terribad, especially for a game in development for as long as it has.

From Mat at NPD:

Game pass isn't a sales panacea that will make everything sell better. It's something that allows for more conversation and player touchpoints, which drive virality. The folks that are on game pass are going to be more invested in gaming, and those are the people friends and family listen to when picking games to buy. Game pass seems to amplify the sentiment of the experience people have with the participating games.

Data suggest SoT and SoD2 sales have benefitted from being on game pass because of these reasons. And these same reasons appear to have potentially negatively impacted CD3.

It's the double edged sword of banking on virality and power of influence.

Only thing I'm happy about is I can't imagine it'll negatively affect Sumo Digital, who had to pick up the pieces and make something out of the game.

4 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

Forza was also charting in months with significantly higher sales.  (September at $747 million and October at $965 million vs. February at $397 million).

It is MUCH easier to chart with a new release in February than in the holiday season.

Good point. Forza would have easily charted even higher in February of this year yet still managed to do well in a genre that's not as popular as it was 10 - 15 years ago against big games like Red Dead and Call of Duty and Spider-Man in a more competitive month.