New Zealand police respond to 'active shooter' situation in Christchurch

Just now, SaysWho? said:

Nah, there was just the 1 (the others I bailed way quicker), which was excellent, entertaining, and gave something for you to masturbate to while counting your theater bills.

You should say Thank You. :talkhand:

March has been excellent :dancing:

12 hours ago, fuckle85 said:

To clarify, at the end of the day where I'm coming from is this:  I think it's possible to enjoy exploring the natural world without any plans/intent of taking on the added risk of bringing weapons for the purpose of shooting animals for sport, and having the opinion that this is preferable to spending outdoors time via hunting is neither wrong, nor as weird as wanting to let children shoot guns.

This is a bad argument.  It only takes a five minute google search to prove there are several hunting accidents, sometimes involving children, that happen, and your "only the city types are the sociopathic shooters" reasoning has no backing at all.  There are multiple incidents of people living in/coming from rural areas killing people via guns, intentional or otherwise, and it's pretty dumb to deny that.

I get how there can be a thrill in hunting game and that it can be a bonding experience with friends and family, but saying there isn't an element of risk to the lives of humans while using boomsticks is just false, buddy.  It's your hobby and a tradition, possibly a food source, and if you want to ignore there's an inherent danger/risk involved in using any using tools designed for violence you have the freedom to take that stance, but it's just a weird hill to want to die on and not a very logical statement to make. 

Again, there is nothing dangerous about responsible use of guns. You keep saying there is, but can’t provide an example. 

People are dangerous, not guns. What’s my kid going to do? Shoot a tree?

hell, I’m far more concerned about him riding horses than I am of him hunting. It’s obvious you know nothing about responsible gun ownership, so it’s ridiculous that you are choosing this hill to die on.

15 hours ago, sblfilms said:

You don’t go hunting simply to get meat, you’ve described yourself the thrill of hunting. The notion that hunting in developed nations is not primarily driven by the sport of it is obviously false. Enjoying the fruits of that labor in the products of the kill doesn’t diminish that truth.

Killing an an animal for entertainment is a moral failing, even if you cook it’s delicious body for dinner.

Yes, there is a thrill to hunting. There’s also a thrill to a quick kill. What is gut wrenching is a bad hit that lets an animal get away. 

Ill say say it again, EVERY state in this country has Wanton Waste laws with huge fines. 35 years I’ve been alive, I’ve never, even met one of these sport hunters of yours in North America. It’s generally an African hunting thing that 99% of us want no part of. In fact, the only time there isn’t a salvage requirement is in the case of depredation permits, which are only awarded to protect livestock from predators.

and again, farming elk/deer/beef is far less humane than hunting it. It’s funny to hear you talk about moral failings while also advocating caging animals for their whole life so you can eat.

now again, I have cattle, pork, chicken and turkey on my hobby ranch, so I’m no more moral than you, but at least I’m not pretending to be.

10 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

The NRA is evil and actively working to make the world a worse place. Everyone would be better off if they ceased to exist.

The NRA isn’t evil, they are doing what they were created to do 

Like me I said, gun owners are worried about death by a thousand cuts. It never ends with just Arcalites.

Now, I’ll tell you what I’d be fine with them ridding us of, which is open carry, and more restrictions on concealed carry (where and when, nobody needs a gun at work, the bar, the coffee shop, or in a store, for example). 

Im also for mental health competency. Make gun owners see a psychiatrist twice a year to ensure they are still mentally fit to own weapons. And make the gun owner pay for it. Miss your scheduled appointment, you get a notice with 30 days to have it done, then if still not in compliance, come get their fucking guns.

6 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

The NRA isn’t evil, they are doing what they were created to do

Maybe, just maybe, their goals are nefarious.

Also just lol at that whole post. "We're worried about death by a thousand cuts" "here's one of those cuts, and it's deep, and clips the jugular"

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Maybe, just maybe, their goals are nefarious.

Also just lol at that whole post. "We're worried about death by a thousand cuts" "here's one of those cuts, and it's deep, and clips the jugular"

No, their goals are to protect the 2nd amendment, which would be in much worse shape without them.

1 hour ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Again, there is nothing dangerous about responsible use of guns. You keep saying there is, but can’t provide an example. 

hell, I’m far more concerned about him riding horses than I am of him hunting. It’s obvious you know nothing about responsible gun ownership, so it’s ridiculous that you are choosing this hill to die on.

Yes, there is a thrill to hunting. There’s also a thrill to a quick kill. What is gut wrenching is a bad hit that lets an animal get away. 

Ill say say it again, EVERY state in this country has Wanton Waste laws with huge fines. 35 years I’ve been alive, I’ve never, even met one of these sport hunters of yours in North America. It’s generally an African hunting thing that 99% of us want no part of. In fact, the only time there isn’t a salvage requirement is in the case of depredation permits, which are only awarded to protect livestock from predators.

and again, farming elk/deer/beef is far less humane than hunting it. It’s funny to hear you talk about moral failings while also advocating caging animals for their whole life so you can eat.

now again, I have cattle, pork, chicken and turkey on my hobby ranch, so I’m no more moral than you, but at least I’m not pretending to be.

I’m sorry I hurt your feelings.

1 minute ago, TheGreatGamble said:

No hurt feelings, just pointing out that you claiming you are morally superior is incredibly ridiculous 

In regards to treatment of animals, I am morally superior to those who kill animals for entertainment. If you don’t kill animals for entertainment, so are you. It’s not a difficult math problem.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

In regards to treatment of animals, I am morally superior to those who kill animals for entertainment. If you don’t kill animals for entertainment, so are you. It’s not a difficult math problem.

You eat farmed beef, therefore you are not morally superior to hunters. Again, stop trying to qualify hunting as entertainment. That’s more bullshit only non-hunters say to try to make themselves feel better about their ridiculous opinions.

in general, anyone I’ve met who claims moral superiority are fools who look down on everyone else. 

I can can almost guess you’re from the south. Only southern christians make claims of moral superiority 

Slippery slope arguments about passing additional gun control regulation are divorced from reality. Gun owners are standing on top of a bobsled track going “OH NO, THEY’RE COMING FOR US,” and people wanting gun regulation are at the bottom of the run wearing ice skates covered in astroglide. It’s fucking ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

You eat farmed beef, therefore you are not morally superior to hunters. Again, stop trying to qualify hunting as entertainment. That’s more bullshit only non-hunters say to try to make themselves feel better about their ridiculous opinions.

in general, anyone I’ve met who claims moral superiority are fools who look down on everyone else. 

I can can almost guess you’re from the south. Only southern christians make claims of moral superiority 

Where did I say all hunting is for entertainment? You are the one that keeps making that leap because I hurt your feelings. 

One more time, a little slower and a little louder, killing animals for your own entertainment is a moral failing.

If you don’t do that, why are you flailing around like this to defend those who kill animals for entertainment?

:hmm:

6 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Slippery slope arguments about passing additional gun control regulation are divorced from reality. Gun owners are standing on top of a bobsled track going “OH NO, THEY’RE COMING FOR US,” and people wanting gun regulation are at the bottom of the run wearing ice skates covered in astroglide. It’s fucking ridiculous.

When I get into conversations with my dad about guns, I become more and more convinced that there is some mental illness involved in the ways that gun nuts view the world. 

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Where did I say all hunting is for entertainment? You are the one that keeps making that leap because I hurt your feelings. 

One more time, a little slower and a little louder, killing animals for your own entertainment is a moral failing.

If you don’t do that, why are you flailing around like this to defend those who kill animals for entertainment?

:hmm:

Nobody kills animals for entertainment, so your argument is bullshit. I don’t know any hunters who do it strictly to kill, and to assert that they do is ridiculous. It’s a fairytale made by non hunters to disparage hunting.

This guy's got my troll sense tingling like crazy lol. I'm not entirely sure if they're being honest or if their posts are an attempt to be a parody of who they seem to be, but no use in giving them the benefit of the doubt just yet and unless there's a hilarious and insightful punchline moment they're building towards, poe's law should probably dictate either it's shitty basic bitch trolling and/or they are being genuine with their stupidity and delusion.

On 3/20/2019 at 7:50 AM, TheGreatGamble said:

The problem is that "I'm a responsible gun owner" tends to be a subjective statement that's often challenging to quantify.  There are lots of hot-headed good old boys from small towns that agree with several things you're saying in this thread who join police forces with subconscious biases against human beings with differing ethnicities and are given legal permission to use their weapons in split second life or death situations, for example.  Like you said, people can be dangerous.  And, uh, yes, guns are powerful weapons soooo they're also dangerous and are what make people with impaired judgement of any kind MORE dangerous. 

So with that in mind, yes, your child lacks the adult-level critical thinking and reactive training skills to use a firearm properly because they are a child. And anyone with a cable TV and/or internet connection should know by now that several ADULTS lack those skills too for fucks sake. One of many examples of things that can go wrong: Your child might not just shoot a tree, but shoot through the branches and put a bullet hole in the cheek of the person 150 yards away located behind a bush that you and your kid didn't see.  It's fucking baffling to me that anyone would want someone, a person with undeveloped emotional intelligence and reliable reactive thinking and problem solving skills no less, to be allowed to have a gun in their hands for shooting anything in the real world, even under supervision.  There's a reason why part of the process for legally obtaining firearms involves weapons training courses, and even those are arguably more lenient than they should be.  

I'm sorry but not sorry that calling you out on this seems to offending you/putting you on defense, but I've displayed more thoughtfulness in articulating my political stance on this than you, and have dismantled most of your dumb reasoning so I'm going to remain on this hill and continue taking this stance.  Hopefully on a hill far away from your ranch so your kid or an idiot like you don't accidentally kill me if I'm standing on it.

1 minute ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Nobody kills animals for entertainment, so your argument is bullshit. I don’t know any hunters who do it strictly to kill, and to assert that they do is ridiculous. It’s a fairytale made by non hunters to disparage hunting.

Humans are complex and can have multiple motives for a single action. If finding entertainment in killing an animal is part of your motivation for hunting or working in a slaughterhouse or intentionally running over a critter with your car, you should reevaluate your thought processes.

19 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Humans are complex and can have multiple motives for a single action. If finding entertainment in killing an animal is part of your motivation for hunting or working in a slaughterhouse or intentionally running over a critter with your car, you should reevaluate your thought processes.

While I'm an animal-lover as well, one bit of perspective we might be overlooking is how in several places in wilderness some animal populations can grow out of control and disrupt ecosystems (this is often the case with feral pigs near texas ranches), destroy crops, or attack and kill livestock or even family pets, so there are for sure some instances where hunting an animal for no other reason than to hunt it, even possibly even enjoying it while doing it, can be ethical imo, but overall I agree.

EDIT: nevermind, you've already made this point earlier ITT!

8 minutes ago, fuckle85 said:

This guy's got my troll sense tingling like crazy lol. I'm not entirely sure if they're being honest or if their posts are an attempt to be a parody of who they seem to be, but no use in giving them the benefit of the doubt just yet and unless there's a hilarious and insightful punchline moment they're building towards, poe's law should probably dictate either it's shitty basic bitch trolling and/or they are being genuine with their stupidity and delusion.

The problem is that "I'm a responsible gun owner" tends to be a subjective statement that's often challenging to quantify.  There are lots of hot-headed good old boys from small towns that agree with several things you're saying in this thread who join police forces with subconscious biases against human beings with differing ethnicities and are given legal permission to use their weapons in split second life or death situations, for example.  Like you said, people can be dangerous.  And, uh, yes, guns are powerful weapons soooo they're also dangerous and are what make people with impaired judgement of any kind MORE dangerous. 

Your child lacks the adult-level critical thinking and reactive training skills to use a firearm properly because they are a child. And anyone with a cable TV and/or internet connection should know by now that several ADULTS lack those skills too for fucks sake. One of many examples of things that can go wrong: Your child might not just shoot a tree, but shoot through the branches and put a bullet hole in the cheek of the person 150 yards away located behind a bush that you and your kid didn't see.  It's fucking baffling to me that anyone would want someone, a person with undeveloped emotional intelligence and reliable reactive thinking and problem solving skills no less, to be allowed to have a gun in their hands for shooting anything in the real world, even under supervision.  There's a reason why part of the process for legally obtaining firearms involves weapons training courses, and even those are arguably more lenient than they should be.  

I'm sorry but not sorry that calling you out on this seems to offending you/putting you on defense, but I've displayed more thoughtfulness in articulating my political stance on this than you, and have dismantled most of your dumb reasoning so I'm going to remain on this hill and continue taking this stance.  Hopefully on a hill far away from your ranch so your kid or an idiot like you don't accidentally kill me while I'm standing on it.

You haven’t dismantled anything. You have a ridiculous opinion, period. My son isn’t shooting through bushes, and he’s not shooting at anything he doesn’t have a clear shot at.

you also ignore the fact that it’s completely legal for my son to have a hunting license, just as legal as it is for any adult.

Millions of hunters go hunting every year. Very few are hurt in hunting accidents, and none of them by kids in recent memory.

Again, you keep asserting that it’s dangerous for kids to hunt with their parents when you have absolutely no clue what hunting actually is. Nobody is just firing off bullets into the bush.

Just now, fuckle85 said:

While I'm an animal-lover as well, one bit of perspective I think is worth considering is how in several places in wilderness some animal populations can grow out of control and disrupt ecosystems (this is often the case with feral pigs near texas ranches), destroy crops, or attack and kill livestock or even family pets, so there are for sure some instances where hunting an animal for no other reason than to hunt it, even possibly even enjoying it while doing it, can be ethical imo, but overall I agree.

I actually gave the population control hunt as an example of something that is decidedly moral and ethical earlier :) This guy is just being overly sensitive because gun people always think people are coming for their hobby.

4 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

you also ignore the fact that it’s completely legal for my son to have a hunting license, just as legal as it is for any adult.

Somethung being legal or illegal doesn’t matter in the slightest as to whether it’s a good thing or a bad thing. He is right to ignore this irrelevant point.

31 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

When I get into conversations with my dad about guns, I become more and more convinced that there is some mental illness involved in the ways that gun nuts view the world. 

There’s an extremely  nonzero chance that the gas exhaust from the combustion of bullets creates some particulate pollution that can be/is inhaled by the shooter, and I’d be absolutely shocked if there were no heavy metal (Hg, Pb,etc) particulates. And as is extremely well documented, particulate pollution(and ESPECIALLY heavy metal particulates) is extremely bad for human health, including mental heath. 

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There’s an extremely  nonzero chance that the gas exhaust from the combustion of bullets creates some particulate pollution that can be/is inhaled by the shooter, and I’d be absolutely shocked if there were no heavy metal (Hg, Pb,etc) particulates. And as is extremely well documented, particulate pollution(and ESPECIALLY heavy metal particulates) is extremely bad for human health, including mental heath. 

The heavy metal in bullets is covered by copper. The only thing burning is black powder.

we refuse to compromise because, as I said, once restrictions start, they won’t stop.

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Somethung being legal or illegal doesn’t matter in the slightest as to whether it’s a good thing or a bad thing. He is right to ignore this irrelevant point.

No, he isn’t. It’s actually best that hunters start young.

Im still shocked that anyone believes that teaching kids to hunt is bad. It’s baffling. How dare you teach a kid to feed himself!

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Meanwhile just the other day some person left loaded guns on the side of the road

http://www.cbs8.com/story/40159671/couple-walking-their-dog-finds-loaded-gun-lying-in-the-road-in-oceanside

But that's not a real gun owner. You know, the kind that is inhumanly perfect and never makes a single mistake or error or slip of mind. Real gun owners have never shot or killed anyone. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

But that's not a real gun owner. You know, the kind that is inhumanly perfect and never makes a single mistake or error or slip of mind. Real gun owners have never shot or killed anyone. 

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/customer-accidentally-shot-inside-lake-wylie-restaurant-gun-owner-wont-face-charges/932040009

“It shows a man, who had just made a purchase, walking toward the door to leave, when suddenly there’s a flash.

A concealed gun fell out of another customer’s pocket, hit the floor and discharged. The bullet hit the other man in the leg.”

4 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

No, he isn’t. It’s actually best that hunters start young.

Im still shocked that anyone believes that teaching kids to hunt is bad. It’s baffling. How dare you teach a kid to feed himself!

Once again, it being legal or illegal is irrelevant to whether it is good or bad practice. You wouldn’t argue that teaching your son to hunt was a bad practice if it were made illegal tomorrow.

24 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/customer-accidentally-shot-inside-lake-wylie-restaurant-gun-owner-wont-face-charges/932040009

“It shows a man, who had just made a purchase, walking toward the door to leave, when suddenly there’s a flash.

A concealed gun fell out of another customer’s pocket, hit the floor and discharged. The bullet hit the other man in the leg.”

But that man was a city-dwelling moron, not a real hunter who understands the responsibility and historical weight of owning a firearm.