New Zealand police respond to 'active shooter' situation in Christchurch

59 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

The law literally allows prison for people reading material the government doesn’t agree with. It’s the definition of disgusting 

I’m fine with stifling the distribution of material intended to incite violence.

9 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Doesn't matter. Even if someone just wanted to carry a copy of it to be an asshole, they should be allowed.

That person should be treated as a potential suspect of a future mass shooting. Fuck anyone trying to "be an asshole" by carrying around the manifesto of a mass murderer.

17 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

The law literally allows prison for people reading material the government doesn’t agree with. It’s the definition of disgusting 

And your content ITT which kinda seems to imply you think being potentially disallowed to pew pew your guns and read a bigoted mass murderer's manifesto any time you want is equally as upsetting (if not more upsetting, given how much you've been whining about those things) as a fucking hate crime mass shooting of 50 people?  Is it possible that your political opinions might be disgusting? :thumbup:

2 hours ago, fuckle85 said:

And your content ITT which kinda seems to imply you think being potentially disallowed to pew pew your guns and read a bigoted mass murderer's manifesto any time you want is equally as upsetting (if not more upsetting, given how much you've been whining about those things) as a fucking hate crime mass shooting of 50 people?  Is it possible that your political opinions might be disgusting? :thumbup:

Don’t believe I should be able to shoot guns anywhere, just where it’s safe. Care to make up any other lies?  

Making anyones writing illegal is disgusting 

• Guillotine 1

16 hours ago, sblfilms said:

If the goal of the book is to incite violence, sure.

If you read a book that had a goal of inciting violence, would you?  

Its amazing to me what type of violence some people find to be ok and give a free pass to. It’s equally amazing to me that there are many people here who obviously haven’t read the Bible.  

I've always had the belief that there's nothing that could be written that could counter the prescription for free speech. This manifesto gets me to at least reconsider. I'm also uneasy at the idea of banning books but this isn't a book as much as it is propaganda .. And not the kind that's merely hyped up rhetoric but it's written in such coded language that poses a real risk to a vulnerable or suggestable mind. That absolutely is worth considering before anything is decided.

1 hour ago, Boyle5150 said:

If you read a book that had a goal of inciting violence, would you?  

Maybe, though unlikely. But I don’t have to myself be convinced to commit an act of violence to know that humans use written and spoken words to incite violence every day, and I’m ok with limiting such speech.

12 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Mmmkay, so let's ban the Bible and the Koran.

I can’t speak on the topic of the Koran, I am only moderately familiar with it, but the writers of the Bible don’t advocate for violence against anybody. The first 70% is mostly a history of a people group, and the rest is written by oppressed people about the cosmic justice that will come due one day via supernatural means.

People who use these books to incite violence should be held responsible for those words.

The goal of the manifesto, based on parts I’ve heard on news coverage, is specifically meant to incite violence.

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Oh, so all that genocide God commanded his people to commit wasn't really violence. Gotcha. 

Is your history book inciting violence by talking about violent history? No. Incitement is a specific and intentional action.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Is your history book inciting violence by talking about violent history? No. Incitement is a specific and intentional action.

I'm only using your logic. I don't advocate for any literature to be banned. But those religious texts have incited countless acts of violence for centuries. 

God literally commanded his people to commit genocide. There are Commandments stating the punishment for certain "crimes" is death. 

It's filled with commands to commit violence. And people have used it to justify horrific behaviors during the entire history of it. 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm only using your logic. I don't advocate for any literature to be banned. But those religious texts have incited countless acts of violence for centuries. 

God literally commanded his people to commit genocide. There are Commandments stating the punishment for certain "crimes" is death. 

It's filled with commands to commit violence. 

You aren’t using my logic because you don’t understand the word “incite” in this context.

If I tell you a story about seeing a guy in the middle of town saying we need to kill all the black folks, who is inciting violence?

Even the OT law isn’t inciting violence, it is a record of the legal system of a nation that ceased to exist 2000 years ago. It does not command anybody living today to commit any violence nor does it attempt to encourage such.

You aren’t even trying hard here :p 

Just now, sblfilms said:

You aren’t using my logic because you don’t understand the word “incite” in this context.

If I tell you a story about seeing a guy in the middle of town saying we need to kill all the black folks, who is inciting violence?

Even the OT law isn’t inciting violence, it is a record of the legal system of a nation that ceased to exist 2000 years ago. It does not command anybody living today to commit any violence nor does it attempt to encourage such.

You aren’t even trying hard here :p 

Nah, you're just cherry picking. People haven't been using history books to justify violence for centuries. But when God issues commandments through a holy book, people take it a little differently. Those holy books have incited far more violence than this nutbag's manifesto could ever dream of.

Like I said, I don't advocate for banning any literature.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Nah, you're just cherry picking. People haven't been using history books to justify violence for centuries. But when God issues commandments through a holy book, people take it a little differently. Those holy books have incited far more violence than this nutbag's manifesto could ever dream of.

Like I said, I don't advocate for banning any literature.

You literally don’t understand what I’m saying and apparently have no desire for actual dialogue. That’s fine, say that up front and save some time!

Just now, sblfilms said:

You literally don’t understand what I’m saying and apparently have no desire for actual dialogue. That’s fine, say that up front and save some time!

What are you talking about? You're really condescending when you act like this. I'm making an honest argument, but you don't like it. That's fine and all, but don't act like I'm being dishonest here. We can disagree. I don't really wanna argue about this all night, anyway.