New Zealand police respond to 'active shooter' situation in Christchurch

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Or watch a damn movie. Not actual footage of real people being brutally murdered. 

It's just fucked up. 

I don't really want to see it, but I don't think it's the mystifying why someone would get morbid curiosity to see something they normally don't. 

• Like 1

I find it comparatively easy to watch footage of actual war between combatants.   It's easier because you have people on both sides, otherwise equally armed and trained, so when you see a soldier die, it's not shocking.  What is shocking and difficult to watch, or even read about, is when that same type of violence is taken upon unarmed civilians. 

Just now, Jason said:

I don't really want to see it, but I don't think it's the mystifying why someone would get morbid curiosity to see something they normally don't. 

Like I said, just watch a violent movie. 

I can't understand why someone who isn't a sociopath wants to watch real people being brutally murdered. :shrug:

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Or watch a damn movie. Not actual footage of real people being brutally murdered. 

It's just fucked up. 

While I didn’t watch this video, I did watch various ISIS videos in my early 20s, and visited certain subreddits.

I won’t defend it. In fact, I regret it. Call it curiousity, or sickness, it’s both really.

Part of me watched videos like that to see if they were actually real, as silly as that sounds. Also to gain some perspective. To see ends that many of us may meet. That it’s not always old, and peaceful. Sometimes it’s sudden, and tragic, and violent, and painful.

Whether driving or praying or listening to music, it can happen at any moment.

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

I find it comparatively easy to watch footage of actual war between combatants.   It's easier because you have people on both sides, otherwise equally armed and trained, so when you see a soldier die, it's not shocking.  What is shocking and difficult to watch, or even read about, is when that same type of violence is taken upon unarmed civilians. 

Yeah, I could understand that better, even if I don't really want to watch. 

I just don't like seeing human suffering. Especially of this kind. It's especially terrible. 

1 minute ago, osxmatt said:

While I didn’t watch this video, I did watch various ISIS videos in my early 20s, and visited certain subreddits.

I won’t defend it. In fact, I regret it. Call it curiousity, or sickness, it’s both really.

Part of me watched videos like that to see if they were actually real, as silly as that sounds. Also to gain some perspective. To see ends that many of us may meet. That it’s not always old, and peaceful. Sometimes it’s sudden, and tragic, and violent, and painful.

Whether driving or praying or listening to music, it can happen at any moment.

I can't remember how, but when I was much younger, I stumbled across a video clip of Daniel Pearl's murder. 

I never need to see that shit again. 

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Or watch a damn movie.

This was nothing like a movie.  Reality is far different, and nothing like I expected. More brutal than anything I could have imagined. I watch movies for entertainment, there was nothing entertaining about this. 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yet you watched it anyway. That's what I find to be fucked up. 

Because I had never see anything like it. I wanted to see the reality of it. And it was far different then what people portray. I feel like I should be allowed to know what this shit really looks like. 

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Because I had never see anything like it. I wanted to see the reality of it. And it was far different then what people portray. I feel like I should be allowed to know what this shit really looks like. 

You're not really entitled. There's a reason things like this aren't shown on the news. 

Hopefully you scratched that itch and don't want to go for it again. 

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

You're not really entitled. There's a reason things like this aren't shown on the news. 

The only reason I think it should not be shown on the news is it can't inspire copycats. I don't get the entitlement part. I shouldn't allowed to watch something fucked up? Why?

2 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

This is a pretty American centric view tbh. 

Uhhhh, guess I don't follow. 

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

The only reason I think it should not be shown on the news is to inspire copycats. I don't get the entitlement part. I shouldn't allowed to watch something fucked up? Why?

You're not entitled to watch the deaths of others. Like, how would you feel if the brutal murders of your loved ones was being broadcast for total strangers to see? Most people wouldn't be down for that. With good reason. 

28 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Not really fantastic examples. 

Certainly doesn't point to my opinion being an American-centric one. 

American news is generally amongst the more censored in terms of graphic content. We had people upset during Katrina of images of unidentifiable dead bodies floating through the streets.

On Mexican broadcasts, they show people getting murdered all the time. Or just graphic stuff like all those people burning to death at the gas pirate explosion.

America isn’t the only place like that, but we are on the very conservative side.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

American news is generally amongst the more censored in terms of graphic content. We had people upset during Katrina of images of unidentifiable dead bodies floating through the streets.

On Mexican broadcasts, they show people getting murdered all the time. Or just graphic stuff like all those people burning to death at the gas pirate explosion.

America isn’t the only place like that, but we are on the very conservative side.

I'm not disputing that, I was just asking for examples of highly developed nations who show graphic human suffering on their broadcasts. 

I'm good with not seeing other people being murdered on the news. We know it happens. It doesn't really do any service to show all the gore. Plus, it's just respectful to the dead and their families. I see it as a decency issue. 

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to see footage of a current event like this imo. Now if you were on liveleak for hours just watching videos of random murders I’d consider that way different. The latter is you really searching these things out and the former is your curiousity of something that just happened. 

18 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

As @Chris- would say, “This thread has definitely been good in determining who on this board is a sociopath. “

Depending on who you are, that is. 

Paste as plain text

19 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

As @Chris- would say, “This thread has definitely been good in determining who on this board is a sociopath.“

Depending on who you are, that is. 

20 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm not disputing that, I was just asking for examples of highly developed nations who show graphic human suffering on their broadcasts. 

Mexico is highly developed nation :p