Days Gone OT - Queasy Rider (Update: Horde DLC)

Pikachu

17 minutes ago, fuckle85 said:

I honestly don't know enough about marketing to gauge to what extent strong reviews + word of mouth (on and offline) impact sales and success and for which games, but It can matter sometimes, especially long term, so generally as a studio you always hope for good reviews/impressions (that Benji guy seemed to confirm this in a previous tweet).  

Of course you hope for good reviews... they definitely don't hurt and can be tied to financial bonuses and stuff. All we were saying is that for some game, bad reviews may not mean as much and because of the general unreliability of gaming review sites these days, youtube and social media, reviews may mean even less when you can often talk to folks in real time who are playing a game in question and make up your mind yourself. I think these days most folks go by word of mouth from people they trust/know and actual user reviews than "professional" gaming reviews. The reviews for this game bear out how off reviewers can be. 

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Of course you hope for good reviews... they definitely don't hurt and can be tied to financial bonuses and stuff. All we were saying is that for some game, bad reviews may not mean as much and because of the general unreliability of gaming review sites these days, youtube and social media, reviews may mean even less when you can often talk to folks in real time who are playing a game in question and make up your mind yourself. I think these days most folks go by word of mouth from people they trust/know and actual user reviews than "professional" gaming reviews. The reviews for this game bear out how off reviewers can be. 

I'm sure there's truth to this. I'm always interested in having a bigger picture understanding of how impressions online (from both reviewers and popular streamers) impacts reactions to the game.  In real life, friends and myself would love games that might get lukewarm reviews, or weren't reviewed much or are very niche.  Or ones that nobody talks about online but we had a blast with. But that's just within my social bubble and when you look at the accumulative impressions spread across social media and forums with a large user base like Era and Gaf, you're obviously seeing a much larger scale reaction to a game.  Sometimes this is even acknowledged by developers themselves.

I don't claim that even all of this gives an comprehensive picture of a game or studio's success across the board, but over time you notice some patterns like how games which have clear issues (Red Dead Redeption 2, for example) getting near perfect metacritic scores and how the reaction seems overwhelmingly positive.  Then that might change over time until it seems like popular opinion has shifted to being more critical ("backlash", etc).  Sometimes sales and impressions seem to go hand in hand. Sometimes not. This has happened many times throughout the years and is often observable after streamers or journalists present a very convincing argument for why a game should be more heavily criticized.  The ebb and flow of that is interesting to me.

53 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I haven't had one crash yet :thinking:

EDIT: I just booted it up and there was another update. Hopefully that improves performance.

Patch 1.05
General Fixes

· A fix for a streaming issue in a certain locations

Crash Fixes

· Fixed a bug where some players experienced a crash when booting up the game

Patching now

On reviews and sales.... to me it’s clear in Days Gone’s case that if you aren’t playing it to be a critic, and more just to enjoy driving around in the woodlands being chased/playing stealth with some light story, it’s a really good time.  Reviewers will care more about aspect X/Y/X not being quite as strong as other games that focus on it.  A general populace of gamers?  I think it’s very much the game it sells itself to be, even before the reviews, and that will appeal to a lot of folks.  And many ‘gamers’ too.

If it continues to sell well, it’ll be because the marketing and setting are appealing to people.  Then maybe, on some level, because us internet gamer types like to form our own opinions and like to jump on board with the next thing, especially in slower months.

I think it’s going to do fine, definitely a few million all said and done. Bigger franchises have started out with much more flawed first entries.  I can’t imagine Sony will be disappointed in sales considering the studio size and the attention it’s getting.

Someone on Era said it reminds them of Uncharted 1: lots of unpolished stuff, but a lot of cool stuff and hard work put into the game.

I'm getting hooked just doing side stuff in the game and I've really enjoyed the trust stats for camps. Someone said it makes selling stuff more involved, and it really does. I'm not even at the point where I can take on hordes, but I imagine I'll have even more fun once I can handle them.

5 hours ago, fuckle85 said:

I'm sure there's truth to this. I'm always interested in having a bigger picture understanding of how impressions online (from both reviewers and popular streamers) impacts reactions to the game. 

At least in terms of viewership numbers on twitch and YouTube, the streamers speaking positively of the game are reaching a much larger audience than the negative review outlets, at least when it comes their video outreach.

There’s also likely an Avengers: Endgame bump.   Days Gone is featured before the the movie trailers begin.  Off topic, but I really enjoyed the movie despite its 70’s Metacritic score.

:pratt:

11 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Someone on Era said it reminds them of Uncharted 1: lots of unpolished stuff, but a lot of cool stuff and hard work put into the game.

I'm getting hooked just doing side stuff in the game and I've really enjoyed the trust stats for camps. Someone said it makes selling stuff more involved, and it really does. I'm not even at the point where I can take on hordes, but I imagine I'll have even more fun once I can handle them.

How many NERO checkpoints have you unlocked so far?

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I found three, but one I can't unlock because there's always a hoard nearby.

There have been hoards near NERO sites for me, but they usually migrate away once they're finished. Sometimes you can sneak around and activate, which is what I did once and got it to be a fast travel site.

UK Charts: Days Gone defeats Mortal Kombat 11 to claim No.1

Its launch week physical sales are 27% lower than last year's PS4 exclusive action adventure God of War. It is actually a decent performance when you consider this is a new IP - and the review scores for this new game have not been as impressive as last year's multi-award winning effort.

Mortal Kombat 11 had to settle for No.2 as a result. The game's debut performance is 43.6% smaller than 2015's Mortal Kombat X (note: digital sales are not included, and download sales have improved significantly over the last four years). However, sales are slightly up over 2017's Injustice 2, which is another beat 'em up developed by NetherRealm featuring DC characters.

Mortal Kombat 11 sold best on PS4, with 71% of sales coming on Sony's platform.

Patch 1.05

General Fixes

· A fix for a streaming issue in certain locations

Crash Fixes

· Fixed a bug where some players experienced a crash when booting up the game

Known Issue

• Audio dropping out/muted. If you are experiencing this, equip the default exhaust to your bike. We are looking into a resolution for this issue.

Did that Nero checkpoint near the traincars, that was so mean (and brilliant) to hide a horde right near:

Spoiler

The last speaker that needed to be cut below the train tracks.

Fortunately there was a way to sneak back in even with the alarms blaring, which don't seem to ever stop if triggered. (I slept overnight to see... but nope, still blaring).

I'm really liking on how these stations are mini-puzzles of sorts.  Watching all the enemies migrate around an objective point is atmospheric in a way I haven't really experienced in a game before.  I forgot to pick up the gas can the first time, but ended up starring on from a rooftop as dozens of them went to feed in a place where I left it.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

Did that Nero checkpoint near the traincars, that was so mean (and brilliant) to hide a horde right near:

OMG YES

I heard some freakers and thought okay, I'll head shot a couple, though I don't get why the music is becoming so ominous. I found out why in a heartbeat. :lol: 

I'm thinking I might do more exploring at night.  Was getting used to resting until sunlight whenever there's a bed, but I'm starting to think it's not the best way to play this game.

At night it's slightly harder to see, and weapons and healing supplies are a bit more limited due to fewer humans.  But zombie drops build up camp trust.  The two botany skills also seem pretty good for that too.  I want those bike upgrades.  Doing missions and sidequests is probably the route to that even still.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

At what level should you attempt taking on a horde? I found another one.

Whenever you think you can kill one? 

I haven't yet.  Imagine its more about what weapons, tools, and smarts you have.  Plus some of those injector upgrades out in the world too.

17 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Hide contents

The last speaker that needed to be cut below the train tracks.

Fortunately there was a way to sneak back in even with the alarms blaring, which don't seem to ever stop if triggered. (I slept overnight to see... but nope, still blaring).

I'm really liking on how these stations are mini-puzzles of sorts.  Watching all the enemies migrate around an objective point is atmospheric in a way I haven't really experienced in a game before.  I forgot to pick up the gas can the first time, but ended up starring on from a rooftop as dozens of them went to feed in a place where I left it.

I tried that one right at the beginning and wasn't sure what to do because it saved after the alarms went off. I've been stuck at that mission.

7 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

I tried that one right at the beginning and wasn't sure what to do because it saved after the alarms went off. I've been stuck at that mission.

Sneak around it from the north side, by the trash piles.  When they aren't feeding there of course.

It's optional.  So I guess if it's really bad, you can come back later when you're able to kill them.