The Division 2 OT - Agent HQ, update: Warlords of New York - Animated Short, Launch, and Gameplay trailers

Pikachu

40 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

No matchmaking for the raid.

Getting 8 may be annoying.

this fucking blows. no matchmaking is what killed destiny for me. and TD2 was always touted as having matchmaking for every game type. 

i dont think there are even 8 of us on this board who played TD2 on xbox. no way i can come up with a group...and my days of using third-party apps and sites to get a party together are over. 

39 minutes ago, atom631 said:

this fucking blows. no matchmaking is what killed destiny for me. and TD2 was always touted as having matchmaking for every game type. 

i dont think there are even 8 of us on this board who played TD2 on xbox. no way i can come up with a group...and my days of using third-party apps and sites to get a party together are over. 

Yeah, its kind of a big turn off.  Xbox's built in LFG is quite good though, so there is that.

11 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

If Div2 is similar to how Destiny is set up the trouble here for Ubisoft is they can’t update PC independently from consoles. To make consoles easier so that it can actually be completed would make PC almost too easy. 

Clearly this is proof the developers didn’t both to test this on any console. 

20 minutes ago, Man of Culture said:

Honestly, I wouldn't care about the console versions if I were them. PC version outperformed the console version in sales by a good margin. 

I doubt that. I’m sure as in most cases the consoles still sold more copies. They just didn’t hit their sales goals. That doesn’t mean PC out sold them, because I’m sure PC didn’t have as high a goal. 

But please, show me some sales numbers by platform. I am curious. 

5 minutes ago, Man of Culture said:

Division 1 sold over a million copies at launch among PS4, XB1 and PC on day 1, 4 million within the first week. Division 2 has failed to meet target on consoles while the PC version exceeded Ubisoft's expectations, selling 10x more at launch, rivaling Division 1's launch success. This information is all over gaming sites, Polygon, Kotaku, etc. But if you want specific numbers, Ubi hasn't released any yet and we probably won't see any for a few more months. Believe it or not, Division is actually pretty damn popular on PC and given the fact that the majority of PC players had purchased the original game on Steam and hold huge disdain for Epic's game store, Ubi won out huge.

- They got them sweet Fortnite bux from their Epic deal.

- Uplay saw the grand majority of Division 2 sales on PC, which means they won over the massive Steam crowd.

Regardless, the real success is player engagement. Most live service games have the majority of their player base drop off a month or two after release. Division 2's based has remained relatively stable on console and PC.

It sold 10x more than Div 1 sold on Uplay, not in total. 

3 hours ago, Man of Culture said:

And? Let's not pretend like that isn't a significant amount of sales. Division 2 topped out around 20 million players between consoles and PC, of which around 5 million were from Steam purchases alone. The game was also purchasable directly through Uplay and Origin of which we don't really have any hard statistics for.

According to Eurogamer, Division 2 physical sales (console) were only 20% that of the first game during launch week. If console sales didn't reach target, that simply means that digital sales on XBL & PSN failed to make up the difference. If that trend has continued since launch week, it only makes sense that the PC version out performed the console version in sales thus far. That being said, the game only came out a little over a month ago. It's entirely possible that console sales will grow and the game will perform very well over it's life time.

It sold 10x as much on Uplay because Division 2 didn’t release on Steam. Show me sales numbers that has the PC version outselling consoles. All you have is vague statements based on expected sales, which we also do not know what those are. 

They could have expected 3 million on consoles and 700k on PC. Managing to sell 800k on PC, but only 2 million on consoles would still have us at the same statement that consoles did not meet expectations, but not mean PC out sold consoles. 

Mans of coarse physical sales are lower. Less are buying physical games now as opposed to when Division 1 released. As an example, in Jan Eurogamer had an article stating UK is 80% digital now. Comparing physical sales from 3 years ago when the industry is moving away from them is a false comparison. 

Regardless of sales, it would be stupid for them to not acknowledge an obvious issue with the console version.  Saying they shouldn’t worry about it bc sales on PC beat their projections is silly. Even if there are more PC players, console players still make a significant chunk of the playerbase. If this raid is impossible to beat on console, then the playerbase is going to die fast as there is no reason to continue. I’m sure massive/ubi do not want that. 

You guys still playing this shit? How? It's so fucking boring. I just can't get over how boring it is to actually play. It's really solidly built, and very pretty. And even has some varied locales. But Jesus fucking Christ is it boring to actually play the actual video game. It's so milquetoast, so unbelievably bog standard. I think I was only able to tolerate hitting the level cap because having actual content was a real novelty coming hot off the heels of Anthem.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

You guys still playing this shit? How? It's so fucking boring. I just can't get over how boring it is to actually play. It's really solidly built, and very pretty. And even has some varied locales. But Jesus fucking Christ is it boring to actually play the actual video game. It's so milquetoast, so unbelievably bog standard. I think I was only able to tolerate hitting the level cap because having actual content was a real novelty coming hot off the heels of Anthem.

I think most of us have moved on and are just interested in hearing about the new content. 

But you aren’t wrong. For all the good things TD2 has, the gameplay is repetitive and boring. It’s why at the end of the day I put almost the same amount of time as anthem. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 3:51 AM, atom631 said:

I think most of us have moved on and are just interested in hearing about the new content. 

But you aren’t wrong. For all the good things TD2 has, the gameplay is repetitive and boring. It’s why at the end of the day I put almost the same amount of time as anthem. 

Sadly this is the truth.  I think the "grounded realistic" setting holds this franchise back. Should be full on Sci-fi with crazy tech, weapons and enemies.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Sadly this is the truth.  I think the "grounded realistic" setting holds this franchise back. Should be full on Sci-fi with crazy tech, weapons and enemies.

That's what I hoped for when I saw the robot dogs, maybe some advanced warfare nonsense scifi shit could liven the game up

Division 3 should be 50-100 years in the future. Mankind has recovered since the events of Division 2 and has had decades of relative peace and prosperity. However, "the monster" has reared its ugly head again and is decimating population centers. The long-since defunct division is reformed and your are taken out of cryo-freeze to lead a team of agents to help track down the cause of the virus and also to help combat the resurgence of undesirables that are wreaking havoc on the population. 

Set in a near-future dystopian Los Angeles with all new hi-tech weapons and gadgets. Battle enemies not only on the ground, but in the sky and underwater. 

9 hours ago, Man of Culture said:

I guess this is the point where I remind people that lifestyle (live service) games are maximally repetitive by virtue of the kind of player they cater to. These games are victimized by the mere fact that people who aren't your typical gamer playing games for not more than a couple hours a week end up exhausting all of the available fresh content within days of release. These are games designed specifically for long term enjoyment, to be played over the course of multiple months, if not years. If you play any game of this nature (Destiny, Anthem, etc) like you would most single player games, you're going to be bored out of your mind very quickly.

Also, The Division 2 absolutely fits the bill for adopting a modern/near future militaristic sci-fi look and feel. More fantastical sci-fi games in the same vein already exist, or have we forgotten about Destiny 2 and War Frame already?

I completely understand this point, and generally get annoyed when people complain about "Not enough content" after playing said game for 100+ hours a few weeks after it released.  Of course you're gonna burn through the game and its gonna get repetitive.  Its why I can't get too mad at Anthem, I put a solid 50-100 hours in it in a few weeks, and then kinda did all it had to offer, and took a break.  Now of course we expect the developers to keep adding and fleshing out the experience as it goes.  

I think the main reason a game like Division fell off for me way quicker this time around, was that the content that is there, while plentiful, just all plays out identically essentially.  I know I've said it before, but every single enemy faction feels identical to me.  I have a hard time telling you which is which because honestly every interaction with them feels damn near identical.  Therefore every mission and encounter basically feels identical.  There is such little variety that it just feels old and samesy much quicker.   Every activity plays out the same with "Defeat 3 waves of enemies".  The skills in the game were a big let down as they leave little room for build variety as there are basically some must haves, and others that felt really useless.  The skills just didn't feel fun or special in anyway.

The original Destiny, while having much less content, at least fighting the Vex felt different than fighting the Fallen, which felt different than fighting the Hive, which felt different than fighting the Cabal.  The encounters and variety of gameplay at least day to day from doing various missions felt different enough, and the gameplay being more mobile, just provided a more exciting gameplay loop.  Division having to base everyone in reality, leaves them with little freedom to make really fun and unique enemy types.  The cover to cover gameplay style just isn't exciting enough to really make the gameplay feel fun enough to go through those same encounters over and over. 

The first Division I played a TON of, but that was cause the Dark Zone, and having fun chasing down and fighting rogues.  I know thats here again, but I just didnt feel like investing the time again to really figure out min/maxing for PvP, especially knowing the history of how much each patch ruins builds.

Division 2 is a great game for sure, but this time around I just couldn't get into it like I do most games this type.

On 6/6/2019 at 1:04 AM, Man of Culture said:

I guess this is the point where I remind people that lifestyle (live service) games are maximally repetitive by virtue of the kind of player they cater to. These games are victimized by the mere fact that people who aren't your typical gamer playing games for not more than a couple hours a week end up exhausting all of the available fresh content within days of release. These are games designed specifically for long term enjoyment, to be played over the course of multiple months, if not years. If you play any game of this nature (Destiny, Anthem, etc) like you would most single player games, you're going to be bored out of your mind very quickly.

Also, The Division 2 absolutely fits the bill for adopting a modern/near future militaristic sci-fi look and feel. More fantastical sci-fi games in the same vein already exist, or have we forgotten about Destiny 2 and War Frame already?

I'm probably guilty of this. I played the heck out of it. Was consumed by it and then after slogging through the world tiers just lost interest. When I think about games like this, I think Destiny really is the only one that's had legs for me because the moment to moment combat is so good and the enemy types vary. It rewards accuracy. However, where Division 2 fails (and this has been my main complaint since D1) is the spongy enemies. You basically need to use the same strats for all of them which is to cover,  chip away, and make sure you don't get flanked.

Now, if they'd have made the games combat a little more like R6, or wildlands then we'd be talking. That and release another survival mode.

52 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm hoping to high heaven they do another survival mode. That was my favorite mode in the first game.

Mine too. It was just the right mix of survival... no dying of thirst/hunger in 10 minutes but tons of incentive to scavenge. Most encounters completely manageable but deadly if you made a mistake.

I think my clan beat it. If they didnt I know they made it to Razorback. I just happened to be busy the night they did it  SMH.  Gotta decent Raid build put together.  Not totally minmaxed by any means but it gets the job done.

The thing that is wrong with this game is the Hoops they make you jump through to get the exotics. Then the upgrade method is not very damn clear.  I got the Nemisis Sniper.  bought the upgraded blueprint from the blueprint vendor.  I then deleted the old Nemesis So I could craft the new one.  I now cant craft the new one cause I deleted the old one WTF!!!  I have the blueprint but cant craft the damn gun and dont know how to fix that.

The excitment from getting good drops have been removed from the game.   The good shit you need to complete projects to get.  Random Exotic drops are almost a thing of the past.  there was nothing like killing a boss in div 1 and seeing that exotic drop and you get all excited to find out what it is. 

I do have to keep telling myself that the game has only been out 4months so be patient lol Div1 should have tought me that 

On 6/11/2019 at 3:05 PM, Man of Culture said:

Nope. Everyone I know on D1P that has the PC version has dropped the game like a bad habit and my hours aren't conducive to playing at the same time as everyone else in my clan.

@Mr.Vic20 @BasemntDweller2 :isee:

Have you heard about our Lord and Savior Destiny 2? :p

On 6/11/2019 at 3:15 PM, Mr.Vic20 said:

I have not! I got tired of the Div2 and have been instead working on my backlog. 

I also would like to use this excuse  

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

I really hope for TD3 they skip 50-100 years in the future.  fix the loot pool in this game so that 98% of the hundreds of drops you get in a play session isnt junk. add some vertical mobility into this game. add in new faction enemies - maybe AI or Aliens.... something. this game got boring fast, both 1 and 2. 

1 hour ago, atom631 said:

I really hope for TD3 they skip 50-100 years in the future.  fix the loot pool in this game so that 98% of the hundreds of drops you get in a play session isnt junk. add some vertical mobility into this game. add in new faction enemies - maybe AI or Aliens.... something. this game got boring fast, both 1 and 2. 

You want Anthem?

• 3 months later...