Beyond Good and Evil 2 - Information Thread, update: Creative Director Emile Morel passes away "suddenly" at age 40

Pikachu

The latest Beyond Good and Evil 2 Space Monkeys stream gave us a closer look at a whole bunch of new gameplay, featuring augments, ship-to-ship combat, combat skills, the scope of seamless co-op, how you can begin recruiting characters to your crew, and more. This recap gives a small taste, but for more, be sure to check out the full Space Monkeys livestream, with Senior Producer Guillaume Brunier and Associate Creative Director Emile Morel.

• Thanks 2

I'm not feeling it.  The original game was much more vibrant and colorful than most of this, especially the on-foot sections.  Combat looks more like Force Unleashed than BG&E.  Dogfighting does look fun though.

I had the complete opposite reaction with Psyconauts 2, which seems to do a lot more to respect its source material.

• 10 months later...
BGE2_NewsHeader.jpg
NEWS.UBISOFT.COM

Learn more about recent changes to the team and the current status of the game.

Hello BG&E fans and Space Monkeys – As we said recently, Beyond Good and Evil 2 is well underway and we are currently concentrating on core development and production milestones. With that in mind, we wanted to let you know about some changes to the team and give you an update on our next milestone.

Team changes: As he said via Instagram today, Michel Ancel has decided to stop working in video games in order to focus on other personal projects, and will no longer be part of the BG&E2 team. For years, Michel imparted his creative vision and helped us remain faithful to BG&E’s incredible universe. His uncompromising passion pushed us to redefine what was possible in crafting an expansive, multicultural, and futuristic science-fiction world. As we move forward, we are all committed to remaining true to this vision.

As Michel noted, he hasn’t been directly involved in BG&E2 for some time now, as the team have been hard at work building on top of the solid creative foundation he helped shape. The team’s collective strength has us well on our way to developing a flagship next-generation action-adventure game. We recently passed an important internal milestone, delivering a build that proves our Space Pirate Fantasy and offers hours of gameplay and an incredible level of freedom in a seamless online sandbox, building upon the promise of our tech demos shown at E3. I’m incredibly proud of the team’s perseverance, dedication to each other and ongoing commitment to developing an amazing game.

We still have a lot more to do to, and we’re ramping up the size of the team to help. We recently added Ubisoft Paris as a partner studio, and in the past six months many new people have joined us here in Ubisoft Montpellier. If you’re interested in being part of the team, visit our careers site and search for keyword “Beyond Good & Evil 2.”

Next milestone: We are aiming to share more and show you the game in action sometime next year, once we pass our next internal production milestones.

We know many of you are eager to hear more from the team, get more detail on the story and universe, and try out the gameplay. We’re equally excited to share all of that with you, but we will take the time needed to get it right. We want to go beyond the high expectations you have of us, and that we have for ourselves.

Thank you for your patience, and remember we’re always happy to have your feedback, whether through the Space Monkey program, by collaborating and contributing with other fans via our HitRecord partnership, or by chatting with us in the forums.

Guillaume Brunier
Senior Producer, BG&E2

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:
shot4_bge2.jpg.jpg
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

The long-awaited sequel to Beyond Good & Evil has overtaken Duke Nukem Forever as the game with the longest-ever de…

This is probably one record that a game development team would rather not earn.

• 1 month later...

This is Ubisoft's Starcraft: Ghost. Technically that game was announced in 2002 and wasn't officially cancelled by Blizzard until 2014 (it was on "indefinite hold" until the official cancellation). Now, with Beyond Good & Evil 2, a game I very much want (or wanted, now that Ancel has left Ubisoft not sure if this game would even be good anymore), some people count from the 2008 and 2009 test trailers. But the game's real announcement was E3 2017. So going from that, it's only been 5.5 years since the game's announcement, so I assume Ubisoft will cancel the game in another six years, going by Blizzard's standard. Early development?! :lol:

21 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

This is Ubisoft's Starcraft: Ghost. Technically that game was announced in 2002 and wasn't officially cancelled by Blizzard until 2014 (it was on "indefinite hold" until the official cancellation). Now, with Beyond Good & Evil 2, a game I very much want (or wanted, now that Ancel has left Ubisoft not sure if this game would even be good anymore), some people count from the 2008 and 2009 test trailers. But the game's real announcement was E3 2017. So going from that, it's only been 5.5 years since the game's announcement, so I assume Ubisoft will cancel the game in another six years, going by Blizzard's standard. Early development?! :lol:

I think Ancel leaving is when I no longer actually anticipated every getting a real sequel to BGE and considered it basically a one and done game for all of time now. And the way that he left made me kind of not even want them to try anymore. The whole thing is soured now. 

Whatever this is, I now just want them to release whatever weird mess this is at the moment just out of curiosity.

• Halal 1

33 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think Ancel leaving is when I no longer actually anticipated every getting a real sequel to BGE and considered it basically a one and done game for all of time now. And the way that he left made me kind of not even want them to try anymore. The whole thing is soured now. 

Whatever this is, I now just want them to release whatever weird mess this is at the moment just out of curiosity.

Yeah I agree with all of this.

27 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I just want the original on the eShop, don’t think that’s much to ask for!

BGE needs to be remastered and fully released now for all platforms including PC - 4K/UHD/60fps.

• 7 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Beyond Good and Evil 2 - Information Thread, update: Creative Director Emile Morel passes away "suddenly" at age 40