GM to slash over 14,000 jobs from North American workforce

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/11/26/gm-general-motors-plant-closures-job-cuts/2113275002/

General Motors is poised to close factories in Michigan, Ohio, Maryland and Canada, and slash 15 percent of its salaried workforce in a sweeping cost-cutting plan designed to boost its profits.

The Detroit-based automaker said it would end production by the end of 2019 at its Lordstown Assembly plant in northeast Ohio; its Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly plant in southeast Michigan; its Oshawa Assembly plant in Ontario; its Baltimore Operations parts plant; and its Warren Transmission Operations plant in southeast Michigan.

Assembly plants are job juggernauts. GM has about 1,500 employees at the Detroit plant, 1,600 at the Lordstown factory and 2,500 in Oshawa.

The announcement comes ahead of next year's contract talks with the United Auto Workers union, which could potentially lead to decisions to devote vehicles to those facilities.

But there's a serious chance that the plants close for good.

The cuts will make GM "lean and agile" as the company aims to "lead in autonomous and lead in electric vehicles," Barra said.

Trump reacts!

President Trump said he told General Motors Co. CEO Mary Barra that she should stop making cars in China and open a new plant in Ohio to replace the ones where the company is planning to end production.

“They better damn well open a new plant there very quickly,” Mr. Trump said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal on Monday. He said he had talked Sunday night with Ms. Barra, who discussed the company’s production cutbacks.

“I love Ohio,” Mr. Trump said. ‘I told them, ‘you’re playing around with the wrong person.’"

“I said, “I heard you’re closing your plant,’” Mr. Trump said, recounting the conversation Sunday night. “’It’s not going to be closed for long, I hope, Mary, because if it is you have a problem.”

Mr. Trump said that Ms. Barra explained the Chevy Cruze wasn’t selling well. “I said, ‘then put a car in here that is selling well, but get it opened fast,’” the president said.

He's so tough! He gets me!