The William Barr confirmation and Big Dick Toilet Salesman thread.

7 minutes ago, elbobo said:

even if Trump/acting AG or anyone else ends the Mueller investigation the House can just start it up again with all the same investigators in January 

Sort of. Far easier to exert executive privilege when it isn’t the executive doing the investigation.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

If Mueller delivers his report and materials to Congress they can just hand it back to him when they rehire him.

I don’t think he can. He works under the direction of the executive.

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

Two months feels so far away now. :(

Hopefully Sessions is now interviewed by Mueller though, maybe he knows things. 

That would actually be not a bad outcome given the spectrum of possibilities here. It stalls things for a couple of months, but it keeps everything intact until the new House is sworn in.

• Guillotine 1

1 minute ago, Jwheel86 said:

Rod Rosenstein is on the way to the White House. 

Until he is fired, Rod is still in charge of the Mueller investigation. Whitaker isn't in charge of the DOJ until he is confirmed, correct? Or is he acting AG right now until he is confirmed? My real question is if Whitaker can fire Rod.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Until he is fired, Rod is still in charge of the Mueller investigation. Whitaker isn't in charge of the DOJ until he is confirmed, correct? Or is he acting AG right now until he is confirmed? My real question is if Whitaker can fire Rod.

Whitaker doesn't need to be confirmed, he's the Acting right now. His power might be limited though. The Vacancy Act might not apply since Sessions wrote his letter in a way that he got fired. 

1 minute ago, Jwheel86 said:

Whitaker doesn't need to be confirmed, he's the Acting right now. His power might be limited though. The Vacancy Act might not apply since Sessions wrote his letter in a way that he got fired. 

I'd have to dig it up, but I remember reading a Lawfare analysis that said Senate confirmation is required.

• Guillotine 1