Any insomnia sufferers here or suggestions for one

Triage

1 minute ago, atom631 said:

I have and I do have it. esp when im overweight (my weight is like a roller coaster - i drop tons of weight fast, keep it off for a few years then put it back on for a year, etc.). but even when im in shape, i still do it. 

there is definitely a correlation between the two, but its also very much to do with being such a light sleeper. we have two guinea pigs that are in another room about 20' away from where i sleep and if one of them take a drink in the middle of the night, i wakes me up. my wife shifting will do it. my dogs, one of my kids even shifting in the next room over will do. 

funny story (but not really).... sometimes if i do go into a deep sleep and i hear something... it will startle me enough that i jump out of bed ready to fight. 

I guess you've gotten used to it, but man that sounds terrible. :( If I were in your position I think I would make a separate bedroom, completely sound-proofed and hamster-free. :p 

Have you tried a white noise app?  My mom’s house is next to a really busy street and the traffic from the trucks can wake me up when I spend the night. I found that having a circulating fan on which generates white noise drowns out the other noises and allows me to sleep through the night. 

30 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Have you tried a white noise app?  My mom’s house is next to a really busy street and the traffic from the trucks can wake me up when I spend the night. I found that having a circulating fan on which generates white noise drowns out the other noises and allows me to sleep through the night. 

I'm a great sleeper once I'm down but even heavy breathing from the missus is too much.  Hence, my rain app!  Game changer!

I too have had sleep problems. It would take me forever to fall asleep at night. Then I would eventually fall asleep and wake up at 2:50am almost constantly for a week or 2. I know I have some anxiety and I have tried melatonin, cutting back electronics/caffeine and going to bed earlier/later. Nothing really worked and it wasn’t until my buddy I’m working with suggested weed. Bought myself an Arizer Solo II vaporizer and have tried at least 50 strains to find the magic bullet. I have a few Indica strains that seem to work well for me. I’m no longer 2 hours sleep and restless the rest of the night before work. I’m now getting 5-6 hours of solid sleep almost every night. I still have the occasional night where I’m a bit restless but some strains that worked great for 2-3 nights in a row will do nothing the next and will switch to another. 

1 hour ago, The def star said:

I never understood this. I have always had a TV in the bedroom and never had trouble sleeping. Putting something on that I have already seen or some youtube play throughs make me fall asleep comfortably. 

Yeah, there can be something said for having something you aren't interested droning on to fall asleep too.  But use that sleep timer; don't let the TV stay on after you are asleep.  The light emitted by a TV has been shown to suppress melatonin and fuck with your body's natural sleep rhythms.  Even if you have no problem falling asleep with a TV on, the quality of the sleep you're getting is compromised. 

7 minutes ago, Slug said:

Yeah, there can be something said for having something you aren't interested droning on to fall asleep too.  But use that sleep timer; don't let the TV stay on after you are asleep.  The light emitted by a TV has been shown to suppress melatonin and fuck with your body's natural sleep rhythms.  Even if you have no problem falling asleep with a TV on, the quality of the sleep you're getting is compromised. 

I sleep a usual good 6-8 hours. I usually turn it off right before I knock out. It just puts me in a sleeping mood then I shut it off. If I knock out before my Xbox has the timer on it to turn itself off after an hour of no activity. I just don't get that rule of no TV in the bed room but I guess to each his own.

14 minutes ago, The def star said:

I sleep a usual good 6-8 hours. I usually turn it off right before I knock out. It just puts me in a sleeping mood then I shut it off. If I knock out before my Xbox has the timer on it to turn itself off after an hour of no activity. I just don't get that rule of no TV in the bed room but I guess to each his own.

Because of the scientific reasons Slug just told you about. It's not really debatable. 

14 minutes ago, The def star said:

If you're shutting it off before you're actually sleeping or shortly thereafter via sleep timer then you're probably OK.  A lot of people don't. 

11 minutes ago, Jose said:

Do not use your cell phone one hour before bed. Cell phone in bed is an absolute no. Definitely try Melatonin before artificial garbage like zzzquil or Ambien, but use a low dose, like 3mg. 

I told her to stay far away from the narcotics. 

I had a coworker once who did insane things while on Ambien. One time, she literally drove to Home Depot to buy a washer and dryer for her neighbor whose boyfriend had just dumped her and had taken hers away when he moved out. She had no idea what she'd done til her neighbor was talking to her the following day and thanking her over and over.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Because of the scientific reasons Slug just told you about. It's not really debatable. 

He says if the TV is on emitting light doesn't help you sleep. TV can't emit light if its off so I still don't see why it's a thing for people to say TVs in the bedroom is a big no no. Don't have the TV on when you sleep.

Just now, The def star said:

He says if the TV is on emitting light doesn't help you sleep. TV can't emit light if its off so I still don't see why it's a thing for people to say TVs in the bedroom is a big no no. Don't have the TV on when you sleep.

The problem is that many people who have TVs in their bedrooms do leave it on when they sleep. If you leave yours off, good for you. But a lot of folks don't have that kind of self control. I work night shift in a hospital and it's insane to me to see the vast majority of patients with their TVs on all night long. It's not even good to lay in bed and watch TV right before sleep. If you have your own place, there's really no need for a TV in your bedroom. You've got plenty of other more appropriate rooms to put it in.

It's not hard to understand. 

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

The problem is that many people who have TVs in their bedrooms do leave it on when they sleep. If you leave yours off, good for you. But a lot of folks don't have that kind of self control. I work night shift in a hospital and it's insane to me to see the vast majority of patients with their TVs on all night long. It's not even good to lay in bed and watch TV right before sleep. If you have your own place, there's really no need for a TV in your bedroom. You've got plenty of other more appropriate rooms to put it in.

It's not hard to understand. 

It's not hard to understand that you can also have a TV in your bedroom and not have sleeping issues. That's why I said to each their own. 

The science says watching TV in bed is harmful to your sleep cycles. https://www.sleep.org/articles/is-it-bad-to-watch-tv-right-before-bed/

I mean, this stuff is pretty easy to research.

That didn’t answer my question.  That article doesn’t show any of the data used to determine the sleeping issues.  My question was “what does the science say about people who have TVs in their room but turn them off before they go to bed.” 

Dont worry about finding anything for me, as I will do it myself.  I was just curious if you have read any peer reviewed papers that included turning off the tv?  

I have and this is not controversial stuff. Most experts will agree that electronics of any kind right before bed is disruptive to your sleep. This has been known for quite some time. I'm not really sure what you're trying to argue.

It's because I've done some research in the past that I've made efforts to cut this shit out of my life. I still struggle sometimes with checking my phone in bed, but I've gotten better. There's a TV in our room, but it's really only there because the bedroom is where we keep our treadmill and I watch it while I'm exercising sometimes. It never gets turned on otherwise. 

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I have and this is not controversial stuff. Most experts will agree that electronics of any kind right before bed is disruptive to your sleep. This has been known for quite some time. I'm not really sure what you're trying to argue.

It's because I've done some research in the past that I've made efforts to cut this shit out of my life. I still struggle sometimes with checking my phone in bed, but I've gotten better. There's a TV in our room, but it's really only there because the bedroom is where we keep our treadmill and I watch it while I'm exercising sometimes. It never gets turned on otherwise. 

I don’t understand why people think asking questions is arguing.  That’s not what I’m doing.  I’m simply asking questions in hopes for an answer.  

Ive read most of these studies but have not read anything in regards to watching tv before bed and turning off the tv and going to bed shortly thereafter.  I’ve also read studies on why certain types of shows are worse than others when it comes to sleep, as well as, the types of books you read having a similar effect.  

I mean, there are a lot of factors. Most people are just better off leaving the TV out of the bedroom. Most people aren't like how def star claims to be. I definitely wouldn't have one in my room if I didn't sometimes exercise in there. But we really don't have another good place to put the treadmill, so that's that.

You have a pretty argumentative nature, so I guess I'm just conditioned by it and assume you're trying to argue. :p 

I mean, there are a lot of factors. Most people are just better off leaving the TV out of the bedroom. Most people aren't like how def star claims to be.

You have a pretty argumentative nature, so I guess I'm just conditioned by it and assume you're trying to argue. :p 

NO I DON’T!!!  ?

10 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

We do have an app we use that helps falling asleep initially. Otherwise I would wake up to mice having sex in the basement. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, The def star said:

I never understood this. I have always had a TV in the bedroom and never had trouble sleeping. Putting something on that I have already seen or some youtube play throughs make me fall asleep comfortably. 

What is there to get, exactly? The thread is about people that have issues sleeping. You dont have issues sleeping. Ergo it does not apply to you lol.