Any insomnia sufferers here or suggestions for one

Triage

Throughout my life I go through weeks sometimes months of being unable to fall asleep or more when I fall sleep but wake up 3 hours later and I'm wide awake/cannot fall back asleep 

This past 4 weeks or so every night I fall asleep just fine but wake up 3-4 hours later and I'm wide awake. Falling back asleep is impossible but I do sometimes an hour before it's time to get up. I'm worried one day I'll crash and burn due to all the lack of sleep 

Should I talk to a doctor or are there natural remedies or safer ones? I read anxiety is main cause but I have had anxiety all my life and majority of my life I have slept fine. Are there other health reasons that would cause insomnia? 

I've been dealing with insomnia for weeks now, on new meds. Wish I had some advice, I've been told to try lavender tea, no electronics on at night, take a shower before bed...None of that helps for me. 

I've only been getting like 2-3 hours of sleep a night. Hope you have some luck getting rest soon. :( 

1 hour ago, DuesEXgame said:

I've been dealing with insomnia for weeks now, on new meds. Wish I had some advice, I've been told to try lavender tea, no electronics on at night, take a shower before bed...None of that helps for me. 

I've only been getting like 2-3 hours of sleep a night. Hope you have some luck getting rest soon. :( 

Good luck with that one. 

1 minute ago, Slug said:

If you have a TV in your bedroom, get rid of it.

Easy there... that's PS4 Pro territory there. 

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

I dunno, I sleep like a baby. But I do love sleeping to white noise.  I use an app called Simply rain as I've tried a few.  If I can detect the sound loop its a no-go so this one is perfect.  No stupid birds and you can turn off the thunder.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KUHFGM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

1 hour ago, Slug said:

Your call.  But better sleep > electronic entertainment in the bedroom.  TV in bed is bad for you.

The TV is only ever on when I'm gaming... and she's not in the room. 

52 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

wait, are you trying to sleep with someone using electronics in the bed at the same time???  Yeah, that aint cool.  I cant have any other sounds/distractions when going to bed.

Lol. No. The only electronics that are on when she's trying to sleep is her iPhone... that she's using instead of going to sleep. 

On a side note, I doubt she uses Night Shift, so she's staring at the bright blue screen in darkness for a good few hours before trying to sleep. 

11 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

The TV is only ever on when I'm gaming... and she's not in the room. 

Lol. No. The only electronics that are on when she's trying to sleep is her iPhone... that she's using instead of going to sleep. 

On a side note, I doubt she uses Night Shift, so she's staring at the bright blue screen in darkness for a good few hours before trying to sleep. 

so the tv's not the problem.  Triage is the problem!!!

1 hour ago, Captain Pickle said:

so the tv's not the problem.  Triage is the problem!!!

Not at all.. I will get on the phone occasionaly after fighting to fall asleep for 2-3 hours. Just gets frustrating and the 2 or so hours feels like lifetime. 

TV is never on before bedtime 

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Sometimes when I can’t sleep I get up and drink some cold water then go back to bed and I can sleep.

I tried that or warm glass of milk. I toss and turn try to meditate after 2-3 hours I give up. Now I fall asleep at bedtime it's I just wake up after about 3 hours and I'm wide awake cannot fall back asleep 

Non-medical remedies before sleep:

-Avoid caffeine and alcohol before bed.  If you wake often to go to the bathroom during the night, you may want to limit all liquids.  

-Have a nighttime routine and regular sleep schedule

-“unwind” before sleep

-keep a journal that allows you to log your sleep and track the good and bad days. Maybe a pattern will arise. 

If I have trouble falling back to sleep, I usually read a book on the Kindle at the lowest light setting. 

8 hours ago, Emblazon said:

This is one of the easiest places to start. Assuming the amount red shift is adjustable like the Android version of the is, have it set to crank up to the max when it's on. 

If she's using a regular computer as well, either turn on Night Shift on it or get f.lux. I personally like f.lux because it lets you go REALLY red. Movie Mode is also very good for not being overly red while still giving you benefit if you're watching a movie or TV show (it's obvious when it's cranked all the way up but Movie Mode levels aren't really obvious until you contrast it by disabling it). 

Everyone is different, as someone who has suffered from a combination of sleep apnea and insomnia.  What has worked for me:

1) No caffeine after noon

2) I wear Breathe Right strips at night

3)  I use the "Sleep Genius" app to  help me get to sleep, stay asleep and wake up.  This made a HUGE difference for me

4)  I have a BedJet to control the temperature of my sleep

5)  I exercise 2-3 times per week at the gym

Combination of these brought me from being constantly exhausted, waking up at 2 AM every morning for 2-3 hours to getting more-or-less "normal" sleep.

On 10/31/2018 at 4:22 AM, Triage said:

Throughout my life I go through weeks sometimes months of being unable to fall asleep or more when I fall sleep but wake up 3 hours later and I'm wide awake/cannot fall back asleep 

This past 4 weeks or so every night I fall asleep just fine but wake up 3-4 hours later and I'm wide awake. Falling back asleep is impossible but I do sometimes an hour before it's time to get up. I'm worried one day I'll crash and burn due to all the lack of sleep 

Should I talk to a doctor or are there natural remedies or safer ones? I read anxiety is main cause but I have had anxiety all my life and majority of my life I have slept fine. Are there other health reasons that would cause insomnia? 

is this actually considered insomnia? 

Ive done the same thing pretty much my entire adult life. Ill fall asleep for 2-3hrs, then wake up. Im a super light sleeper a pin drop will wakes me up. Then i cant get back to sleep for 2-3hours. Rinse repeat pretty much every single night until its to get up and go to work. I dont know if Ive ever sleep more than 4 straight hours. 

It does suck too. At around 2pm I am nodding off or need to take a nap. I hate it but, whats funny is Im known to fall asleep almost anywhere at anytime...I could be chilling at a friends house and one minutes Im engaged with everyone, next minute Im sleeping. lol. 

47 minutes ago, atom631 said:

is this actually considered insomnia? 

Ive done the same thing pretty much my entire adult life. Ill fall asleep for 2-3hrs, then wake up. Im a super light sleeper a pin drop will wakes me up. Then i cant get back to sleep for 2-3hours. Rinse repeat pretty much every single night until its to get up and go to work. I dont know if Ive ever sleep more than 4 straight hours. 

It does suck too. At around 2pm I am nodding off or need to take a nap. I hate it but, whats funny is Im known to fall asleep almost anywhere at anytime...I could be chilling at a friends house and one minutes Im engaged with everyone, next minute Im sleeping. lol. 

Out of curiosity have you ever been tested for sleep apnea?

7 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Out of curiosity have you ever been tested for sleep apnea?

I have and I do have it. esp when im overweight (my weight is like a roller coaster - i drop tons of weight fast, keep it off for a few years then put it back on for a year, etc.). but even when im in shape, i still do it. 

there is definitely a correlation between the two, but its also very much to do with being such a light sleeper. we have two guinea pigs that are in another room about 20' away from where i sleep and if one of them takes a drink in the middle of the night, it wakes me up. my wife shifting will do it. my dogs, one of my kids even shifting in the next room over will do it. 

funny story (but not really).... sometimes if i do go into a deep sleep and i hear something... it will startle me enough that i jump out of bed ready to fight.