What should be my first Final Fantasy game?

Either FFIV or FFVI would be my suggestion if you're looking at the old-school Final Fantasy games and want a really memorable narrative experience.  FFII is fine, but has a weapon/spell leveling system that can get kind of grindy/tedious and isn't really the best introduction to the series.  IV and VI are widely considered the best games of the 2D era in the mainline series.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Slug said:

Either FFIV or FFVI would be my suggestion if you're looking at the old-school Final Fantasy games and want a really memorable narrative experience.  FFII is fine, but has a weapon/spell leveling system that can get kind of grindy/tedious and isn't really the best introduction to the series.  IV and VI are widely considered the best games of the 2D era in the mainline series.

You mean the Japanese version of FFIV?

First off, II SNES is actually 4.  III SNES is actually 6.  Some of the games didn’t make it here initially, they fixed the numbering with 7.

6 (III SNES) is the 2D one to play if none else.  It sits in between classic and modern approaches to the franchise.  It can be a bit drab visually, so it’s not going to pop like Chrono Trigger or the Super Mario RPG remake would, but it’s still wonderful.

4 (II SNES) is a classic too, but awfully grindy by comparison.  And has a bit too much villian behind the curtain moments.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

First off, II SNES is actually 3.  III SNES is actually 6.  Some of the games didn’t make it here initially, they fixed the numbering with 7.

6 (III SNES) is the 2D one to play.  It sits in between classic and modern approaches to the franchise.  It can be a bit drab visually, so it’s not going to pop like Chrono Trigger or the Super Mario RPG remake would, but it’s still wonderful.

4 (II SNES) is a classic too, but awfully grindy by comparison.  And has a bit too much villian behind the curtain moments.

The first 2 Final Fantasy games came out on NES, right?

7 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

You mean the Japanese version of FFIV?

Yes, IV in Japan which yeah was released as II originally here.  If by "FF2" you meant "FFIV" then yes, start with that.  It's incredible.  Actual FF2 is a bit of a chore.

For the record, I assumed you were going to like download it on Steam or PSN or the eShop or something.  If you're actually going out and getting the physical cart for an SNES then my bad and apologies for the confusion.  FF series numbering correction hasn't been an issue for a long, long time.

8 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

I did a quick search, and of the Famicom Final Fantasy games, only the first one came to the NES.

That's a little pedantic.  The NES and the Famicom were the same thing, just with different pin connectors for the carts. It's not inaccurate to say the first 3 were available for the NES.

3 minutes ago, Slug said:

That's a little pedantic.  The NES and the Famicom were the same thing, just with different pin connectors for the carts. It's not inaccurate to say the first 3 were available for the NES.

Not really. The Famicom was smaller, was a top loader, used smaller cartridges, and had a disk system. 

• Guillotine 1

1 minute ago, CastletonSnob said:

Not really. The Famicom was smaller, was a top loader, used smaller cartridges, and had a disk system. 

For the game carts the core processing components were the same.  The only meaningful difference in the systems in terms of video games was the 60 pin vs 72 pin connectors for the carts.  You can get like a $10 adapter so that Famicom carts will fit in your NES.  They're the same console with some regional design differences, just like say the Genesis and the Mega Drive.  Nintendo games that didn't see a North American release are still considered "NES" games, that just didn't come out in the US.

4 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Why not just start at 1? The pixel remaster is really good. It’s obviously really basic by today’s standards, but it fun to see the origin of such a foundational series. 

Yep. Just start at 1 with the pixel remaster.

After you beat FF2, I would suggest playing the 3D remakes of FF3 and FF4

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

FINAL FANTASY® III, one of the best-loved games from the epic RPG series, available on Steam.
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

FINAL FANTASY IV makes its debut on PC! Lose yourself in this timeless tale of heroes, betrayal, love and redemption.

After that, go back to the pixel remasters for 5 and 6.

Mmmmmmmmm... I would say, if you're into pixel art games, start with FF6. If you're not, start with FF10. FF9 is my favorite and I don't think any of them after 12 are worth playing, honestly. But I wouldn't start with 9.

Also *ahem* @Chadatog Final Fantasy Adventure is technically a Seiken Densetsu game, not a Final Fantasy game, it was just marketed that way in the west.:nerd:

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

Mmmmmmmmm... I would say, if you're into pixel art games, start with FF6. If you're not, start with FF10. FF9 is my favorite and I don't think any of them after 12 are worth playing, honestly. But I wouldn't start with 9.

Also *ahem* @Chadatog Final Fantasy Adventure is technically a Seiken Densetsu game, not a Final Fantasy game, it was just marketed that way in the west.:nerd:

That's some final fantasy erasure right there :p

Secret of manna is the best Final fantasy, next thing you will post is that FF tactics and Mystic Quest is not really FF

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'd start with the Pixel Remaster of the first game. Or if you want to launch into a good story, then IV or VI.

VII is so overrated and X is an abomination.

Having recently beaten the OG Final Fantasy on the NES I feel like there is no reason to go back to that game outside of historical curiosity.  Tons of grinding, insanely unforgiving, easy to just absolutely bone yourself from go, the list goes on.  

I’d say if you’re interested in what classic Final Fantasy was like, VI is the best story and best game wise.  If you’re curious about more modern Final Fantasy, then VII for the history.

23 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I’d say if you’re interested in what classic Final Fantasy was like, VI is the best story and best game wise.  If you’re curious about more modern Final Fantasy, then VII for the history.

FFVI isn’t really what classic FF is like though.  It’s a pretty clear departure from what came before, both in its themes and expansion of your party.  It’s a way dirtier and grimier looking game too, more in line with where VII would take things.

V is more an ultimate evolution of what classic FF was systems-wise.  Even if people love the story and characters of IV more.

23 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Having recently beaten the OG Final Fantasy on the NES I feel like there is no reason to go back to that game outside of historical curiosity.  Tons of grinding, insanely unforgiving, easy to just absolutely bone yourself from go, the list goes on.  

That’s why I said play the Pixel Remaster. I would never recommend the NES version to anyone. 

VI is probably the best one to start with. It's kind of the quintessential FF where even if it's not everyone's favorite (though it probably is most peoples favorite), everyone will agree it is at least in the top 3. Go backwards or forwards after that depending on how the mood strikes you.

On 6/11/2024 at 7:37 AM, Slug said:

I liked 15 from a story standpoint. The world was kinda balls though. 

16 is terrific. 

15 is frustrating because it's like 75% of a great game. I really enjoyed the "cruisin' with the boys" part of the game, but as soon as you leave that part of the world it kind of turns to shit. Very disappointing. Plus the whole "wanna know what this character has been up to? Find out in the next DLC!" stuff.

On 6/11/2024 at 2:51 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'd start with the Pixel Remaster of the first game. Or if you want to launch into a good story, then IV or VI.

VII is so overrated and X is an abomination.

I've gone back and forth on X so many times over the years. I used to think it's great, then I thought it sucked (even made a massive thread on here once about how much it sucked), then I played it again and thought it was pretty good, then played it last year and thought it sucked again.

On 6/11/2024 at 11:23 PM, legend said:

It's kind of the quintessential FF where even if it's not everyone's favorite (though it probably is most peoples favorite), everyone will agree it is at least in the top 3.

1. Ain't no way 6 is most people's favorite when 7 exists. Final Fantasy VII is its own Franchise.

2. I haven't played it yet but I'm willing to be it's not even in my top 5. Maybe not even in my top 10.