Wtaf is going on in Silicon Valley

NEWREPUBLIC.COM

If Balaji Srinivasan is any guide, then the Silicon Valley plutocrats are definitely not okay.

In 2013, a New York Times story headlined “Silicon Valley Roused by Secession Call” described a speech in which he “told a group of young entrepreneurs that the United States had become ‘the Microsoft of nations’: outdated and obsolescent.”

“What I’m really calling for is something like tech Zionism,” he said, after comparing his movement to those started by the biblical Abraham, Jesus Christ, Joseph Smith (founder of Mormonism), Theodor Herzl (“spiritual father” of the state of Israel), and Lee Kuan Yew (former authoritarian ruler of Singapore). Balaji then revealed his shocking ideas for a tech-governed city where citizens loyal to tech companies would form a new political tribe clad in gray t-shirts. “And if you see another Gray on the street…you do the nod,” he said, during a four-hour talk on the Moment of Zen podcast. “You’re a fellow Gray.”

The Grays’ shirts would feature “Bitcoin or Elon or other kinds of logos … Y Combinator is a good one for the city of San Francisco in particular.” Grays would also receive special ID cards providing access to exclusive, Gray-controlled sectors of the city. In addition, the Grays would make an alliance with the police department, funding weekly “policeman’s banquets” to win them over.

“Grays should embrace the police, okay? All-in on the police,” said Srinivasan. “What does that mean? That’s, as I said, banquets. That means every policeman’s son, daughter, wife, cousin, you know, sibling, whatever, should get a job at a tech company in security.”

In exchange for extra food and jobs, cops would pledge loyalty to the Grays. Srinivasan recommends asking officers a series of questions to ascertain their political leanings. For example: “Did you want to take the sign off of Elon’s building?”

“A huge win would be a Gray Pride Parade with 50,000 Grays,” said Srinivasan. “That would start to say: ‘Whose streets? Our streets!’ You have the AI Flying Spaghetti Monster. You have the Bitcoin parade. You have the drones flying overhead in formation ... You have bubbling genetic experiments on beakers … You have the police at the Gray Pride Parade. They’re flying the Anduril drones…”

Everyone would be welcome at the Gray Pride march—everyone, that is, except the Blues. Srinivasan defines the Blue political tribe as the liberal voters he implies are responsible for the city’s problems. Blues will be banned from the Gray-controlled zones, said Balaji, unlike Republicans (“Reds”).

“Reds should be welcomed there, and people should wear their tribal colors,” said Srinivasan, who compared his color-coded apartheid system to the Bloods vs. Crips gang rivalry. “No Blues should be welcomed there.”

While the Blues would be excluded, they would not be forgotten. Srinivasan imagines public screenings of anti-Blue propaganda films: “In addition to celebrating Gray and celebrating Red, you should have movies shown about Blue abuses … There should be lots of stories about what Blues are doing that is bad.”

Please tell me this a troll. 

• Guillotine 1

9 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:
NEWREPUBLIC.COM

If Balaji Srinivasan is any guide, then the Silicon Valley plutocrats are definitely not okay.

Please tell me this a troll. 

Tech Bros are the absolute worst combination—people who got lucky (skill almost never has anything to do with it) due to timing and now think that whatever weird fetishes they have are the primary reason, so they want to force that on everyone else.

• Halal 1

Everytime one of these goobers gives a weird talk someone calls them a tech baron or a titan of industry.  They always end up being someone who started something you've never heard of that sold to a bigger company and then they turned into a finance bro at some VC firm.

Apparently this guy started Counsyl, I worked at Myriad when they bought Counsyl, the people up top got paid, the workers were all told to move to Salt Lake City and take a pay cut or no more job for them.

Oh, and of course he was in on cyrpto during that whole thing...

• True 1

12 hours ago, Jason said:

cool = :bj:?

I mean that too, but in general they’re not insufferable assholes who think they’re geniuses. They just make good money for a skill and are actually interesting to talk to, and yes lots are very promiscuous, or those are just the women I meet lol