8. Metro Last Light

7. Borderlands 2

6. Far Cry 3

5. Doom 2016

4. Bioshock

3. Half Life 2

2. Halo 3

1. COD4 Modern Warfare

I've played and beaten most of these but not all. May need to check out Borderlands 2 at some point. I remember being turned off by the first game... in fact I think it was one of few games I returned so i didn't even bother with the second. Also I'm not sure if I would put COD4 at number one although I think it deserves a place on the list. Lastly if I was going to put a Halo game on here, i would put Reach over Halo 3 although I get why they wanted to put one that had Master Chief in it. Surprised none of the Stalker games made it though. Not a bad list over all.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Is this a troll list?

CoD4 has the best campaign in a world where Titanfall 2, Wolfenstein and Doom exist?

I never even played the campaign in COD4. However it offered the greatest FPS multiplayer ever. Still hasn't been topped and probably never we will be. 

But yea, it probably shouldn't be number one for a campaign with the other games listed. But again I never played it. 

I can imagine why someone might pick COD4's campaign, but other than the presentation / freshness of it at the time, most of the other games on this list shit all over it in terms of just playing an FPS single player game. 

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Call me crazy, but the Metroid Prime games are better than most of these.  But “First Person Adventure” lock on aiming and all that.

If we were to include an FPA like Metroid Prime, we might as well include an FPRPG like Deus Ex while we're at it!

The problem is that neither of them are particularly stellar at the "S" part of FPS!

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

If we were to include an FPA like Metroid Prime, we might as well unclude an FPRPG like Deus Ex while we're at it!

The problem is that neither of them are particularly stellar at the "S" part of FPS!

Yeah Deus Ex crossed my mind too. So did Dishonered and Prey and a bunch of other games that don't quite fit this criteria.

• True 1

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

God Prey was so fuckin good. But I guess it fits the mold of FPA.

But I think Bioshock is a FPA too and shouldn't be on the list. 

BioShock straddles the line, but I think it does fall more on the FPS side because its actual shooting mechanics are given near-equal weight to the plasmid-based powers whereas in games like Deus Ex, Dishonored, and Prey, the gunplay is clearly an afterthought.

• True 1

I feel like Titanfall 2 is too low.

Personally, I'd put Crysis on there.

As always with these lists, there's also the problem of generally important vs favorite vs some attempt to define "best." Halo:CE was so good at the time, even with repetitive levels. The other Halo games might have had better campaigns, but Halo:CE stands out the most in my mind.

11 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

BioShock straddles the line, but I think it does fall more on the FPS side because its actual shooting mechanics are given near-equal weight to the plasmid-based powers whereas in games like Deus Ex, Dishonored, and Prey, the gunplay is clearly an afterthought.

Fair enough. 

1) Doom

2) Half Life 2

3) Titanfall 2

4) Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus 

5) Far Cry 4

6) Crysis 3???

7) Killzone 2

8) Resistance 2

9) Robocop

Franchises I’ve intentionally left off: CoD, Battlefield, Halo

Franchises I’ve never played: Metro, Stalker

Franchises I don’t think should count: Bioshock

10 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

1) Doom

2) Half Life 2

3) Titanfall 2

5) Far Cry 4

6) Crysis 3???

7) Killzone 2

8) Resistance 2

9) Robocop

Halo has to be on the list. Robocop? lol

20 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

1) Doom

2) Half Life 2

3) Titanfall 2

5) Far Cry 4

6) Crysis 3???

7) Killzone 2

8) Resistance 2

9) Robocop

I like this a bit better.

• Hype 1

23 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Just for the lighting and reflections. 
I’ve never understood the appeal of single player Halo. 

Halo 1 on Xbox was revolutionary for console gaming. Wait, you put Robocop on your list because of the lighting? You sick bastard! :p

• True 1

Also a reminder that the makers of the great Wolfenstein reboots, MachineGames, is who is working on the Indiana Jones game coming later this year. They are also the team that came from ex-starbreeze aka The Darkness/Ridick which holds well for their first person melee pedigree with the whip and stuff. Game is gonna rule.

• Halal 1

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Halo 1 on Xbox was revolutionary for console gaming. Wait, you put Robocop on your list because of the lighting? You sick bastard! :p

I don’t differentiate between platforms. I agree the controls were revolutionary for a controller, but were still a step back from the standard set 8 years before with Doom (KB/Mouse). 
I still think Halo’s vehicle controls were garbage, and some parts (like jumping) felt terrible. As someone who played a LOT of PC FPSs in the 90s and I was extremely underwhelmed (if that’s a word) by Halo.