~*Official Iran/Israel War Watch Thread*~ update (04/18): Israeli missiles target military airbase in Iran

1 minute ago, Air_Delivery said:

I think there is a difference between supporting Iran and taking a pragmatic approach to avoid a full regional conflict. 

Then Iran shouldn’t have attacked israel

i know high gas prices would supper inconvenience us.

we went to war for 20 years cause two buildings got knocked down and a wall in the pentagon got destroyed so Americans telling Israel to let someone attack them without responding is interesting.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

20 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I am generally against Israel, in terms of the government and actions of the nation state. I'm not anti-Israeli population, however. I am also generally anti-Iran government, and anti-PLA government, etc. I don't think there's a single good nation state in that region, tbh. Israel gets a few points for being more democratic than its neighbours...but it also basically has imprisoned millions of people. The neighbouring countries have also helped with this. Basically, I think all sides are to blame, and all sides are victims, and it's a cycle that will never end because no one is willing to be the last person to take a punch in any given situation, mainly because of how egotistical humans are.

It’s almost as if there is no moral government because the nature of government is violence by definition 

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Then Iran shouldn’t have attacked israel

i know high gas prices would supper inconvenience us.

we went to war for 20 years cause two buildings got knocked down and a wall in the pentagon got destroyed so Americans telling Israel to let someone attack them without responding is interesting.

TBF Iran responded to them killing Iranian leaders.

Israel would be smart to just let Iran save face a bit and let things calm down. 

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

TBF Iran responded to them killing Iranian leaders.

Israel would be smart to just let Iran save face a bit and let things calm down. 

That leader who orchestrated attacks against Israeli interests?

remind me, how many drone strikes did Obama carry out against leaders of our opposition too? I forget the number now

wait, enemy combatants at wedding parties “80 enemy combatants killed”

Just now, Air_Delivery said:

I'm not exactly a drone strike supporter.

Just because the US did it doesn't mean its right.

I can’t take Americans seriously on this topic is my point. They see the world through a myopic lens where all that matters is their comfort and connivence. Whereas we have the monopoly in military power, Israel doesn’t, we fight Iran it just inconveniences us for a little bit. 

Israel fights them it’s a threat to their existence.

But I am so tired of Americans and Europeans criticizing others for doing the exact same thing they/we do and have done. 

• Halal 1

45 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

I can’t take Americans seriously on this topic is my point. They see the world through a myopic lens where all that matters is their comfort and connivence. Whereas we have the monopoly in military power, Israel doesn’t, we fight Iran it just inconveniences us for a little bit. 

Israel fights them it’s a threat to their existence.

But I am so tired of Americans and Europeans criticizing others for doing the exact same thing they/we do and have done. 

I hope this doesn’t come across like me being a dick, I can understand where your emotions and feelings are coming from. 

I genuinely think that a lot of time you’re arguing against imaginary liberals that don’t actually exist.  Like yeah, I imagine a lot of liberals are very vocal about the issue right in front of their faces that has the potential to impact their lives in a significant way.  The fact that they weren’t up in arms about a woman being executed for her clothing doesn’t mean they like that, support that, or are even indifferent to it.  In every day conversation, you’d be hard pressed to know my stance on fracking because I am a person who exists in the world and not a soundboard of my opinions stuck on replay, that doesn’t mean I don’t have one and it doesn’t mean I’m pro-fracking until proven otherwise. I guarantee that near enough as makes no difference all of the leftists arguing Israel should move on without escalating are also opposed to that woman’s killing and it’s weird to argue otherwise.  

It’s the same with by saying that the US can’t throw stones because we’re all in a glass house which ignores the fact that tons of people were extremely opposed to throwing those stones and others were actively mislead into thinking it was a good idea in the first place.  Even after the heat of 9/11, the American public STILL had to be sold on the idea of invading Iraq, and we were fucking lied to in order to make it seem like we had a reason to do it.  It’s one of the few things people in this country, regardless of politics, largely view as a mistake we never should have made.  If you’re arguing that Israel should mimic the decisions we made post 9/11, then they are even stupider than we are because they got to watch us step on a rake and smack ourselves in the face over and over for twenty god damned years and now they want in on that sweet rake action.  

• Halal 1

Personally I think Biden is doing a great job. What's the alternative? Don't support Israel's defense and let them get overrun by Iranian proxies seeking revenge because we bombed their general Soleimani? Or the "same as Joe Biden" alternative Trumpism that will just obliterate Gaza.

Theres Americans who seem to think we can just turn Israel off with some switch which is a ridiculous colonialist mindset! Americans seem to be advocating for more American Colonialism on the right or left. Left = Control Israel. Right = Destroy Palestine.

"Both sides" are crazy and both those options lead to way more deaths on one side or another. I'm not talking about what Israel's options are, I'm talking about OUR options. What Biden is doing, arguing for restraint and trying to minimize the damage is the best you can do. Is it a quick result? No. Is it ideal? No. It's the slow, difficult, long term work that needs to be done. 

Another thing, yes close bridges bay area. Reach into your inner Chris Christie and show your liberal values. Keep people from being able to live their lives. Then go home and jerk off to your poster of Steve Jobs.

You have the energy for this, which only negatively affects your neighbors and not any to volunteer at so many organizations that need your help in your own back yard. It's probably because the people suffering are Black.

That's sort of where my mind has changed since leaving that awful place. Where can I put my money locally to help people here

Not making any allies;

WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

4,908 likes, 1,398 comments - oaklandstateofmindApril 15, 2024 on : "[NEWS] Chaotic video shows the moment a driver stuck on the Golden Gate Bridge clashed with a group of Pal*stine...

On 4/14/2024 at 1:48 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The question now becomes whether Tel Aviv shares the assessment that this action was "face-saving nonsense" or reacts as if it represented an apocalyptic, existential threat.

Unfortunately, I think we all can kinda guess on that one already.

Outside of Tel Aviv, what is the general assessment?

As someone with little knowledge of Iranian capabilities, I feel like the expected result of this attack is that most of those weapons would be intercepted. On the other hand, it seems like Israel got a lot of help defending from this attack, which either means they needed the help or the collective effort to defend Israel was itself a message.

7 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

As someone with little knowledge of Iranian capabilities, I feel like the expected result of this attack is that most of those weapons would be intercepted. On the other hand, it seems like Israel got a lot of help defending from this attack, which either means they needed the help or the collective effort to defend Israel was itself a message.

Also "free" defense systems testing

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

which either means they needed the help or the collective effort to defend Israel was itself a message.

Or, it means all nations who helped to intercept were trying to prevent an all-out war from breaking out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Left = Control Israel. Right = Destroy Palestine.

I got into a fight with some people about this last night, specifically US involvement. They think ending US involvement would get Israel to stop, when in my opinion US involvement is the only reason they know about Gaza and would otherwise be one more forgotten people ran over by indifference, like the 300,000 in Azerbaijan. Liberal indifference to other atrocities really bugs me. They don't hate the atrocity, they hate their hands are dirty attempting to manage it. Israel without US involvement would have killed every soul in Gaza and the world would barely notice or actively look away. Probably my frustration with disability be notably absent for DEI and other progressive projects because it would actually cost money to fix. 

• True 1
  • Halal 2

28 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

They think ending US involvement would get Israel to stop, when in my opinion US involvement is the only reason they know about Gaza

It's also white people who are responsible for creating all these circumstances in the first place. They're trying to "nanana I can't hear you make it go away" out of their collective responsibility. 

1. Israel exists as is today because white people are afraid of other races and would have rather put Jews there and arm them than live with them. 
  2. Hamas initial attack was funded by Iran who was looking for revenge for Trump killing Soleimani. Who is responsible for killing many Americans and hurting us in Iraq. Which Iran became more powerful when Saddam was taken out. Which we invaded wrongly based on our lies about WMD. Which was triggered by 9/11. Which was triggered by our involvement in the Middle East. 

Literally all white people problems. It's their system and now they get to clutch pearls and betray the people they betrayed before by siding with people they continually betray? Fuck off. 

16 hours ago, TwinIon said:

The Iranians probably figured that the bulk of the drones would be intercepted.  What they're probably far more concerned about is the apparent sub-par performance of their MRBMs and cruise missiles.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Feels like something might be happening soon, because gas in my area is said to be going up 14-16 cents a litre as of midnight.

The price of a barrel of oil dropped ~3% today as the market priced in the expectation that the Israeli retaliation will be relatively limited.