Mitch "The Turtle" McConnell to step down as Senate GOP leader following November's election

APNEWS.COM

Mitch McConnell says he'll step down as Senate Republican leader in November.

Mitch McConnell, the longest-serving Senate leader in history who maintained his power in the face of dramatic convulsions in the Republican Party for almost two decades, will step down from that position in November.

McConnell, who turned 82 last week, was set to announce his decision Wednesday in the well of the Senate, a place where he looked in awe from its back benches in 1985 when he arrived and where he grew increasingly comfortable in the front row seat afforded the party leaders.

“One of life’s most underappreciated talents is to know when it’s time to move on to life’s next chapter,” he said in prepared remarks obtained by The Associated Press. “So I stand before you today ... to say that this will be my last term as Republican leader of the Senate.”

His decision punctuates a powerful ideological transition underway in the Republican Party, from Ronald Reagan’s brand of traditional conservatism and strong international alliances, to the fiery, often isolationist populism of former President Donald Trump.

McConnell said he plans to serve out his Senate term, which ends in January 2027, “albeit from a different seat in the chamber.” Aides said

McConnell’s announcement about the leadership post was unrelated to his health. The Kentucky senator had a concussion from a fall last year and two public episodes where his face briefly froze while he was speaking.

“As I have been thinking about when I would deliver some news to the Senate, I always imagined a moment when I had total clarity and peace about the sunset of my work,” McConnell said in his prepared remarks. “A moment when I am certain I have helped preserve the ideals I so strongly believe. It arrived today.”

• Hype 2

27 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

8 years ago this wound be fantastic news, now, I’m worried who replaces him.

12 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

We will be missing him soon. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

These are the correct takes. 

Came in here to say that I cannot believe that I think it would be better if he stayed on in the current climate. The fact that Mitch fucking McConnell is one of the "good" (using that term extremely loosely) Republicans is just a fucking nightmare.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

3 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Came in here to say that I cannot believe that I think it would be better if he stayed on in the current climate. The fact that Mitch fucking McConnell is one of the "good" (using that term extremely loosely) Republicans is just a fucking nightmare.

There, there buddy, mittens has got you!

Inside the Romney bubble: Images from the final week of the campaigns | CNN  Politics

On 2/28/2024 at 1:23 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:

The good news is none of the rest of them are nearly as effective at getting an agenda pushed through as he is.  He didn't give a shit about scoring wins on some shitty right wing vlog or Fox News, he pushed his agenda at all costs, and was good at whipping the vote.  None of the rest of them I feel can replace him on that front, a lot of preening do nothings auditioning for Trump or an evening guest slot on Fox News.