Is a Nintendo Switch still worth buying?

I stopped buying Nintendo consoles after the Wii, but before then they were always my preference. I'm disappointed in my Xbox and want to try out Nintendo again, would you buy a Switch (OLED) this late in its life cycle ($350???? 💸💸💸💸) or wait till a new console comes out. 

Well Switch 2 won’t be until March 2025. So what you will have to ask yourself is this. Spending $350 for what amounts to one year of fun. Good news is the Switch 2 will be backward compatible so anything you buy in this first year will be playable on the new system. The OLED is nice and Nintendo’s first party games look amazing on it. If you have the disposal income I say go for it. There are soooooo many games you missed out on. 

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Hugs 1

@SuperSpreader I think you should probably just wait until next year at this point, it would be fun to have that huge library of new games day one with a new platform launch. Just start looking into all the games you missed and get pumped etc. 

BUT the one thing I could say that would lean towards getting one now is that the rumor is that the next one will launch as lcd. So in that case, unless there are a lot of updates, then the oled Switch could still be the best way to play og Switch games for at least another 3 years probably.

• Halal 1

I have disposable income but I'm hasty to buy things. (Which is how I have disposable income.) But when I spend money I try to get the best stuff for the value, so I'll spend more than average if the quality add is worth it to me. 

At this point I could just wait a year. 🤷‍♂️

9 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I have disposable income but I'm hasty to buy things. (Which is how I have disposable income.) But when I spend money I try to get the best stuff for the value, so I'll spend more than average if the quality add is worth it to me. 

At this point I could just wait a year. 🤷‍♂️

51 minutes ago, stepee said:

@SuperSpreader BUT the one thing I could say that would lean towards getting one now is that the rumor is that the next one will launch as lcd. So in that case, unless there are a lot of updates, then the oled Switch could still be the best way to play og Switch games for at least another 3 years probably.

:thinking:

1 hour ago, stepee said:

@SuperSpreader I think you should probably just wait until next year at this point, it would be fun to have that huge library of new games day one with a new platform launch. Just start looking into all the games you missed and get pumped etc. 

BUT the one thing I could say that would lean towards getting one now is that the rumor is that the next one will launch as lcd. So in that case, unless there are a lot of updates, then the oled Switch could still be the best way to play og Switch games for at least another 3 years probably.

Just my two cents, I would trade my oled screen for an lcd screen if it meant my UI wasn’t as if I was running it on a 56k modem remotely and I could play original switch games with better performance. YMMV tho. 

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Just my two cents, I would trade my oled screen for an lcd screen if it meant my UI wasn’t as if I was running it on a 56k modem remotely and I could play original switch games with better performance. YMMV tho. 

If the games aren’t upgraded though and you had both, and wanted to play a particular game, I could see opting for the oled. But i don’t think it’s one or the other, if that were the case then obviously wait for Switch 2. There will also be the 1” larger display apparently, which could be good or bad depending on how it handles BC. I’m sure just out of convenience I’ll fully move my old catalog to Switch 2 still but I’ll probably hold on to my oled just in case.

12 hours ago, stepee said:

If the games aren’t upgraded though and you had both, and wanted to play a particular game, I could see opting for the oled. But i don’t think it’s one or the other, if that were the case then obviously wait for Switch 2. There will also be the 1” larger display apparently, which could be good or bad depending on how it handles BC. I’m sure just out of convenience I’ll fully move my old catalog to Switch 2 still but I’ll probably hold on to my oled just in case.

Is it safe to assume the games will just run better thanks to the improved hardware tho? Like if I can play BOTW without the slowdown or at 60 fps potentially, just due to it running on faster tech, that’s worth it to me. But maybe that’s being too optimistic. 

I personally don’t think I’ll get a switch 2 until the OLED model comes out. 

31 minutes ago, Brick said:

You could always buy one now to build up a library, and then sell it when the Switch successor is out and get that, which will more than likely be backwards compatible. 

Or wait until there’s a sale like Mar10 day before spending $60 on games several years old.

• True 1

25 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Or wait until there’s a sale like Mar10 day before spending $60 on games several years old.

This is also true. Take advantage of any sale since Nintendo games don't typically go down in price even 7 years later. 

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

If nothing on the Switch has made you jump in by now Id say wait and just get a Switch 2 near release. 

I guess the question I have for you is; Is there something on the Switch you really want to get into or are you hoping you'll get a Switch and just find something to love? 

I know there's great games on it and I've been super disappointed with Xbox/PC/PS4 since last gen. I don't like naughty dog style games, I don't think FPS games these days are entertaining, there aren't any adventure games I like. It's just meh. I'll buy a game and instantly get bored of it. But I'm still a gamer and wish I could enjoy. I'd rather play solitaire on my phone than most games rn

27 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I know there's great games on it and I've been super disappointed with Xbox/PC/PS4 since last gen. I don't like naughty dog style games, I don't think FPS games these days are entertaining, there aren't any adventure games I like. It's just meh. I'll buy a game and instantly get bored of it. But I'm still a gamer and wish I could enjoy. I'd rather play solitaire on my phone than most games rn

Mario Odyssey could be a great choice to get you out of a funk.

I’m having fun personally just exploring my indie backlog at the moment.

• Halal 1