Is a Nintendo Switch still worth buying?

41 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I always docked my Switch and used a pro controller. BTW, the pro controller is the best controller ever made imo. Better than Xbox. 

But I never owned an OLED Switch. That's unfortunate it's not comfortable to use. I never heard of that complaint. 

Ita just a little awkward, small controls, etc 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

That’s cool. Not sure why, but I was under the impression you didn’t like Nintendo games. Maybe I misunderstood.

I love Nintendo. They are my favorite. Have been for a very long time. I know you feel that way too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

That’s cool. Not sure why, but I was under the impression you didn’t like Nintendo games. Maybe I misunderstood.

I do like Nintendo games. But I rarely buy video games at full price anymore, and while MS, Sony and PC regularly see some pretty good discounts, Nintendo sales suuuuuck.

I own Mario Kart 8, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and had Mario Odyssey and those are literally the only first party titles I've been willing to buy. The Switch has been mainly a third party indie console for me.

16 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I do like Nintendo games. But I rarely buy video games at full price anymore, and while MS, Sony and PC regularly see some pretty good discounts, Nintendo sales suuuuuck.

I own Mario Kart 8, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and had Mario Odyssey and those are literally the only first party titles I've been willing to buy. The Switch has been mainly a third party indie console for me.

Oh, I see…you like Nintendo games. You just don’t want to pay for them! LOL :p 

I keed, I keed.

To be fair, Nintendo’s games are often not full price to begin with (and only Tears of the Kingdom has hit that dreaded $70 price tag so far). Don’t forget if you’re downloading indie games on Switch, you earn Gold Coins which can be used to discount games form the eShop. For whatever that is worth. 

Switch is a good spot for indies, but lately I’ve been using my Steam Deck for those. (And Elden Ring, but maybe for not much longer. I hate that game but I’m going to try to give it another fair shake. Maybe.)

13 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

To be fair, Nintendo’s games are often not full price to begin with (and only Tears of the Kingdom has hit that dreaded $70 price tag so far).

It took them 6+ years of the Switch to cut any full price game they published by 50% in an official capacity.

That’s entirely unprecedented.  People are right to be put off by it.

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

It took them 6+ years of the Switch to cut any full price game they published by 50% in an official capacity.

To be fair, that’s entirely unprecedented.  People are right to be put off by it.

Sure, but it’s not unheard of when the games are discounted by 25%-41% (which admittedly is an odd percentage).

My point was more about how their games are sometimes not even $60. In recent(ish) memory, games like Cruis’n Blast, WarioWare and Mario vs Donkey Kong launched at $50 or less. 

Again, for whatever that is worth. *shrugs*

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

Sure, but it’s not unheard of when the games are discounted by 25%-41% (which admittedly is an odd percentage).

My point was more about how their games are sometimes not even $60. In recent(ish) memory, games like Cruis’n Blast, WarioWare and Mario vs Donkey Kong launched at $50 or less. 

They would rather sell their budget games for slightly less up front than sell anything retail under $30.

Most AAA games dip below that mark by two years after release.  Even the ones that hold value relatively well.

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

Oh yeah, I own Cruis'n Blast too, lol. I forgot about that one. I think I paid about $20 for it but to be fair, it's only worth about that much. It's.... not great.

I don't have a problem paying full price for a game like MUA 3 or Mario Odyssey.... but their business of double-dipping into the Wii U's library and re-releasing those older games for $50+ was a kick in the nuts for some of us who owned them the first time. I owned Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, New Super Mario U, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3 all on the Wii U, and would've totally double-dipped at the right price. 

I'll be real though, if Nintendo announces the Switch 2 and fully supports all Switch games (like it's rumored to) without any of that profile transfer bullshit, I'd be tempted to go back and buy some of those games again. But I gotta know my shit will carry over seamlessly.

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, Biggie said:

Nintendo games are worth every penny. 

I disagree especially with the Switch where they are releasing half assed versions of games that were previously better elsewhere

Mario Strikers, Mario Golf, Animal Crossing just to name a few had more robust versions previously.

Animal Crossing finally caught up to New Leaf like a year later with the patch and then they said they were done. Mario Golf was pretty damn disappointing for a $60 game.

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I disagree especially with the Switch where they are releasing half assed versions of games that were previously better elsewhere

Mario Strikers, Mario Golf, Animal Crossing just to name a few had more robust versions previously.

Animal Crossing finally caught up to New Leaf like a year later with the patch and then they said they were done. Mario Golf was pretty damn disappointing for a $60 game.

the dude your opinion GIF

17 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Oh yeah, I own Cruis'n Blast too, lol. I forgot about that one. I think I paid about $20 for it but to be fair, it's only worth about that much. It's.... not great.

I don't have a problem paying full price for a game like MUA 3 or Mario Odyssey.... but their business of double-dipping into the Wii U's library and re-releasing those older games for $50+ was a kick in the nuts for some of us who owned them the first time. I owned Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, New Super Mario U, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3 all on the Wii U, and would've totally double-dipped at the right price. 

I'll be real though, if Nintendo announces the Switch 2 and fully supports all Switch games (like it's rumored to) without any of that profile transfer bullshit, I'd be tempted to go back and buy some of those games again. But I gotta know my shit will carry over seamlessly.

Dang...poor Cruis'n Blast. Never gets any respect! :( 

To be fair about your point of "re-releasing" Wii U games on Switch...those games were not just simple ports. Several of them had to be changed so that Gamepad usage wasn't required at any point, and ALL of them had added content. (Bowser's Fury, Funky Kong, Peachette and Super Luigi included, all Pikmin 3 DLC included, and Bayonetta 1 was bundled with Bayonetta 2.) And still "only" $50 a pop. Would I have liked those for even cheaper (or free?)...yeah, of course. But that's not the world we live in. And the offerings they provided aren't what I would call terrible or anything. *shrugs*

I'll agree with you on your last point. The Switch successor better damn well have backwards compatibility. It would *almost* be an instant no-buy for me if that's the case. 

24 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Dang...poor Cruis'n Blast. Never gets any respect! :( 

To be fair about your point of "re-releasing" Wii U games on Switch...those games were not just simple ports. Several of them had to be changed so that Gamepad usage wasn't required at any point, and ALL of them had added content. (Bowser's Fury, Funky Kong, Peachette and Super Luigi included, all Pikmin 3 DLC included, and Bayonetta 1 was bundled with Bayonetta 2.) And still "only" $50 a pop. Would I have liked those for even cheaper (or free?)...yeah, of course. But that's not the world we live in. And the offerings they provided aren't what I would call terrible or anything. *shrugs*

I'll agree with you on your last point. The Switch successor better damn well have backwards compatibility. It would *almost* be an instant no-buy for me if that's the case. 

You’ll buy it no matter what Grant. I know you lol

11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

How poor is the image quality in handheld for the original Swutch? I can only play it that way but I'm tempted to continue my TOTK playthrough. But I'm used to a steam deck oled so this might be a bad idea?

Looks kind of dim, or maybe it's just me.

I mean you could always look yourself with your own damn switch. :p

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Looks kind of dim, or maybe it's just me.

I mean you could always look yourself with your own damn switch. :p

It's packed away and will be a bitch to get to that's why I'm asking if it's even worth it. 

On 2/23/2024 at 11:59 AM, SuperSpreader said:

Ita just a little awkward, small controls, etc 

Um, how does anyone control games in handheld mode? I just tried it for the very first time in 7 years and it's by far the worst controls I've ever seen. Why is the right 3d stick at the bottom right? Holy shit. Now, the image quality wasn't as bad as I was anticipating but it's not even in the same league as my deck. Nintendo Switch has been packed up for good and I'm never looking back. 

• Haha 1

Yeah, sadly, I also discovered that it is very hard to control most games in hand-held mode... and my switch is a switch lite. Ugh.

I mostly bought it for Advance Wars, which works great with a portable, but trying to play high precision games like Mario Wonder is just no fun at all.

• True 1