Super Bowl LVIII | Can Blaine Gabbert Snag a Second Championship? | February 11, 3:30pm (PST)

Keyser_Soze

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Check your math. Only 4 more times. And he's 28. He will probably have triple that amount by the time he's Brady's retirement age.

My match is correct smart guy. Mahomes needs 5 more championships to beat Brady and it's not going to happen. 

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm still proud for @stepee that he played Madden and had no idea the team he was playing as would be Super Bowl runners up.

Tbf I always get the year old version when it hits ea access so Im a bit behind!

Also did yall see Kelce singing? That was painfully embarrassing. I have nothing against Taytay so I didn’t hate him before but his attitude on the field and that made him come off as obnoxious.

• True 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Tbf I always get the year old version when it hits ea access so Im a bit behind!

Also did yall see Kelce singing? That was painfully embarrassing. I have nothing against Taytay so I didn’t hate him before but his attitude on the field and that made him come off as obnoxious.

The newest just hit game pass though, so now you can play it again with this season's team!

Also, is Beastie Boys really "singing"? He's just a goofball. What would you do if you won the super bowl?

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The newest just hit game pass though, so now you can play it again with this season's team!

Also, is Beastie Boys really "singing"? He's just a goofball. What would you do if you won the super bowl?

I mean I wouldn’t count it as singing but that doesn’t make it better. And obviously I’d go to disneyland!

• Hype 1

I haven’t checked around online but i was wondering if there was any injury update on the one 49ers player.  Kelce had the ball and plowed into the dude so hard. He withered on the ground for a while and when they finally showed him standing his shoulder looked broken :s

I haven't watched a Super Bowl in years but watched last night because I'm a Swiftie. If Travis and Taylor are in a real life rom-com then last night's game was the third act, down to the last second victory.

While I'm not a sport fan per say, I do like some sports movies, so it's clear I just need a narrative to keep me interested in a game. Being invested in last night's game helped me better understand the appeal of sports. It was such a thrilling game to watch, felt like I was on an emotional rollercoaster.

• Halal 2
  • Hugs 1

My X feed filled up with "Mahomes winning a Super Bowl".  Why did the Chiefs win, despite "mostly being outplayed"?

1) Uncharacteristic CMC fumble

2)  Trent William's back-to-back penalties

3)  Punt that hit blocker's ankle, giving Chiefs their only TD of the game in regular time

4)  Missed Extra Point

5)  Bosa ignoring Mahomes completely on 4th and 1 in OT

6)  Dre Greenlaw tearing achilies trotting out on the field

Have I missed any of the "weird" stuff from last night?

If anyone "won" the game for the Chiefs, it was their defence -- who have been pretty much the reason for every one of their games this post-season.

Shanny play calling did a lot of damage in the second half, but SFs special teams hurt them the most, that extra point alone probably win the game. But calling pass plays on 3rd down in the red zone to get completely torched by an untouched blitzer, then again before the go ahead fg which gave the Chiefs even more time which could have also iced the game since they'd only have 1 TO on their final drive. There's a legit chance CMC picks up 1sts on both those plays. 

38 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Shanny play calling did a lot of damage in the second half, but SFs special teams hurt them the most, that extra point alone probably win the game. But calling pass plays on 3rd down in the red zone to get completely torched by an untouched blitzer, then again before the go ahead fg which gave the Chiefs even more time which could have also iced the game since they'd only have 1 TO on their final drive. There's a legit chance CMC picks up 1sts on both those plays. 

I assume you're talking about the 3rd and 4 in OT?  The O-line botched the coverage on that 3rd down.  Chris Jones wasn't blitzing, it was a regular pass rush that got to Purdy.  Both the RG and LG went to block Bolton, the RT took no one, and let Jones run free.

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

Shanahan is and will always be a pass first/run second play caller. 

12 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I wasn’t remotely invested in this one, but I haven’t cared about football the last few years. Hockey has overtaken football for me. 

I didn’t watch any of this game. 

Thanks! We were all worried about what you felt about this situation. Thanks for letting us know you didn't watch the game in the superbowl thread!

• Confused 1

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

I would guess at 3rd and 4 in the red zone, you're going to see 80%+ of the plays be a pass in the NFL.

You’re probably right. But I’m talking his overall philosophy and tendency. When they were struggling to get anything going after halftime he continually dialed up passing plays. 

• True 1

18 minutes ago, Biggie said:

You’re probably right. But I’m talking his overall philosophy and tendency. When they were struggling to get anything going after halftime he continually dialed up passing plays. 

Looked at the stats for his play calling after your post.

2023 regular season -- 49% of plays were rush (only Baltimore had more).  Super Bowl -- 40% of plays were rush -- well below the NFL average of 43% in the regular season.

So you're completely right.

14 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Looked at the stats for his play calling after your post.

2023 regular season -- 49% of plays were rush (only Baltimore had more).  Super Bowl -- 40% of plays were rush -- well below the NFL average of 43% in the regular season.

So you're completely right.

When he feels pressure he will always retreat to what he feels comfortable doing. Passing the ball. He had CMC! 

55 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I would guess at 3rd and 4 in the red zone, you're going to see 80%+ of the plays be a pass in the NFL.

I mean 3rd and 4 in the red zone with CMC is I'm going to run the ball with CMC at least 2 more times in the superbowl. Hell even with Elijah Mitchell who would have gad completely fresh legs against that gassed line. 

28 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I mean 3rd and 4 in the red zone with CMC is I'm going to run the ball with CMC at least 2 more times in the superbowl. Hell even with Elijah Mitchell who would have gad completely fresh legs against that gassed line. 

You're not going to run it twice in that situation -- you have to kick a field goal on 4th down in OT.

CMC got stopped for no gain on 2nd.

I think the analytics suggest its a toss up for pass/run -- with a less than 50% success rate on average either way.  That said, I don't think that call was the biggest reason they lost the game.