Super Bowl LVIII | Can Blaine Gabbert Snag a Second Championship? | February 11, 3:30pm (PST)

Keyser_Soze

26 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You're not going to run it twice in that situation -- you have to kick a field goal on 4th down in OT.

CMC got stopped for no gain on 2nd.

I think the analytics suggest its a toss up for pass/run -- with a less than 50% success rate on average either way.  That said, I don't think that call was the biggest reason they lost the game.

Like I said this is the Dan Campbell "they should have kicked the FG" moment except here they should have gone for a TD instead of a FG because you know Mahomes is going to storm down the field and settle for nothing less than a TD.

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Like I said this is the Dan Campbell "they should have kicked the FG" moment except here they should have gone for a TD instead of a FG because you know Mahomes is going to storm down the field and settle for nothing less than a TD.

If Bosa hadn't played the run so hard on 4th down, 49ers would have won.  Mahomes hadn't stormed down the field the entire game.

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Same. I'm still unsure how I feel about Kelce after that demonstration he did with Reid. That was NOT good. 

He was fine with it.

Now they are just making good memes out of it.

• Halal 1

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

He was fine with it.

Now they are just making good memes out of it.

Reid is a cool dude. I guess it was just high emotions but still making contact with a coach is not acceptable. 

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Reid is a cool dude. I guess it was just high emotions but still making contact with a coach is not acceptable. 

The only part I think was fucked up was the contact where Reid almost lost his balance. Shouting on sidelines is common place. 

• True 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

49ers claiming they didn't know the overtime rules is some ofb the funniest shit I heard from all this. It's the most basic system ever. 

The players hadn't recognized the rules had changed from how OT has always been played in the NFL.  Coaches knew.

• Thanks 1

Honestly they should do away with the sudden death in any way and just keep playing new quarters till someone is winning at the end. It leaves you with this weird scenario where the second team getting the ball has to go for it on every 4th down till they can score or tie without any time management you'd get at the end of a game. And if you're the first team and kick a fg you're kinda fucked cause they can just keep playing 4 downs till they score. 

52 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

This was how wide open Jennings was on that final 49ers offensive snap:

k9kzULx.jpg

if mckivitz picks up the chris jones block on that play, we had the touchdown. instead purdy had like half a second back there before getting clobbered. 

30 minutes ago, johnny said:

if mckivitz picks up the chris jones block on that play, we had the touchdown. instead purdy had like half a second back there before getting clobbered. 

I'm not sure whether Jones was McKivitz's or Burford's responsibility -- but absolutely, looked like a touchdown to me without the blown protection.

18 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'm not sure whether Jones was McKivitz's or Burford's responsibility -- but absolutely, looked like a touchdown to me without the blown protection.

yeah true. the right side of our line has been a major weakness for us all season so i can’t say it’s surprising. definitely a top priority for us this offseason. 

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

Honestly they should do away with the sudden death in any way and just keep playing new quarters till someone is winning at the end. It leaves you with this weird scenario where the second team getting the ball has to go for it on every 4th down till they can score or tie without any time management you'd get at the end of a game. And if you're the first team and kick a fg you're kinda fucked cause they can just keep playing 4 downs till they score. 

I think games would last way too long then. The game time yesterday was the 7th longest game in history and I sat in front of my TV for 5 hours. I think the ot rules now are perfect. 

16 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I think games would last way too long then. The game time yesterday was the 7th longest game in history and I sat in front of my TV for 5 hours. I think the ot rules now are perfect. 

They had the best rule in place. It was called SUDDEN DEATH. But the participation trophy generation couldn’t handle not giving everyone an equal chance. 

16 minutes ago, Biggie said:

They had the best rule in place. It was called SUDDEN DEATH. But the participation trophy generation couldn’t handle not giving everyone an equal chance. 

So how did that work? Toss a coin and whoever gets it can score and win the game with a field goal? If so, that's awful. 

• True 1

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The best way to handle OT is to allow each team to get one possession and then if it's still tied to go to sudden death.

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

I could live with this. 

So you could live with the current rules?

• Haha 1
  • True 1