NOT Castlevania - No Lawyers Edition

Mr.Vic20

13 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Can't tell if you're being serious lol

I am. I have only played Super Castlevania VI. I have never played an NES Castlevania. With the modern 8-bit rendering I am very much reminded of Shovel Knight in everything but the gameplay.

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

I am. I have only played Super Castlevania VI. I have never played an NES Castlevania. With the modern 8-bit rendering I am very much reminded of Shovel Knight in everything but the "combat'.

I see the shovel knight influences, but it's absurdly the same as the NES games outside the modern flare :p

• True 1

I was kinda hoping it would be a take on any other kind of Castlevania but I’ll play it still. It’s just we already have the Curse of the Moon series doing exactly this and those are both very good. A take on 16bit or doing pixel art metroidvania would be so much more interesting but also a lot more difficult I suppose. I fucking can’t wait for Bloodstained 2 ugh it’s taking forever.

Not digging the art style. It feels like it falls into the classic trap of trying to emulate what old games looked like instead of presenting a more realized vision (given modern hardware) of the art style the old games used. Sea of Stars is how I wish more retro games were designed.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, stepee said:

I was kinda hoping it would be a take on any other kind of Castlevania but I’ll play it still. It’s just we already have the Curse of the Moon series doing exactly this and those are both very good. A take on 16bit or doing pixel art metroidvania would be so much more interesting but also a lot more difficult I suppose. I fucking can’t wait for Bloodstained 2 ugh it’s taking forever.

There's always Blasphemous 1 and 2. Both are beautiful, and great games. Both are metroidvania's basically doing the Symphony of the Night thing graphics-wise, wonderful 32-bit pixel art.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

10 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

There's always Blasphemous 1 and 2. Both are beautiful, and great games. Both are metroidvania's basically doing the Symphony of the Night thing graphics-wise, wonderful 32-bit pixel art.

true, need to remember to put these on the play this year list!

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

I remember being a kid in the 80's and playing the original Castlevania, and daydreaming of the day when games didn't look like the original Castlevania. Dunno about ya'll, but I lived through the 8-bit days. I'm not in a hurry to go back.

If I do get the itch, that's what RetroArch is for.

7 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I remember being a kid in the 80's and playing the original Castlevania, and daydreaming of the day when games didn't look like the original Castlevania. Dunno about ya'll, but I lived through the 8-bit days. I'm not in a hurry to go back.

If I do get the itch, that's what RetroArch is for.

100% agree. 8 bit looking games developed for next gen systems annoy the crap out of me.