School faces million dollar lawsuit over “promposal” gone wrong

Saw this was from a few days ago. Not sure if anyone else caught this crazy ass story.  A teen wanted to ask his girlfriend to prom. So he had a bright idea. Have the girlfriend in the car, and he is going to blow through a stop sign on school property. The school resource officer is going to pull them over….and suddenly it’s a happy prom proposal! They made sure to clear it with the principal and resource officer beforehand. All is well, until they ran over another student on a motorcycle at 40mph… 

• Guillotine 1
  • Shocked 2

34 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This happened in April and they're just getting around to it now?

Hiring a lawyer, building evidence, and attempting to get a proper settlement pre-lawyer and post-lawyer prior to a lawsuit takes time. Plus, you need to figure in months of time focusing on injuries/hospital time for the victim before even thinking about lawyering up and/or a lawsuit.

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Hiring a lawyer, building evidence, and attempting to get a proper settlement pre-lawyer and post-lawyer prior to a lawsuit takes time. Plus, you need to figure in months of time focusing on injuries/hospital time for the victim before even thinking about lawyering up and/or a lawsuit.

Yeah but you don't need to do all of that to report a news story of someone getting hit by a car months ago. :p

18 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah but you don't need to do all of that to report a news story of someone getting hit by a car months ago. :p

The lawsuit filing is what got the media attention. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was only more isolated local reporting around when it occurred.

• True 1

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

The lawsuit filing is what got the media attention. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was only more isolated local reporting around when it occurred.

Also the body cam and security footage may not have been readily available, which really drives home the absurdity of the situation. The local newspaper story goes from “student leaving school on motorcycles gets hit” to this……situation.

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

Seriously, I’m about to be old man yells at clouds here, but what happened to just saying “hey, do you want to be my date to prom” and not all this shit now?

Between this and absurd gender reveal parties, fuck it. Fuck it all.

45 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

I assume this was also something that was intended to be recorded for TikTok or something similar. Not much different than all those gender reveal videos that go wrong.

Agreed. reddit.com/r/ImTheMainCharacter is full of this kind of shit... People who think the world revolves around them and their desires; nobody else ( certainly not safety) matters. 

The adults failed the kids here for sure. 

I do feel a couple things here make me think the lawyer isn’t very good which is unfortunate. Whatever medical fees they had is going to come out of whatever settlement they get, not what it is after insurance, but the actual amount the hospital fully charges. And they are obviously not going to get what what they ask for, it will be negotiated down, so I’m not sure what they are thinking with that number. It won’t be taxable but still.

9 hours ago, ThreePi said:

I assume this was also something that was intended to be recorded for TikTok or something similar. Not much different than all those gender reveal videos that go wrong.

Now I’m wondering if the kid in the car recorded the whole thing too. He probably would have tried to film her reaction.