The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The context for that analogy is INFINITELY more applicable than the nonsense that she came up with.

FWIW, the picture in the bottom is not in America.

I think hyperbolistic analogies are cringe worthy.  I think comparing modern day events to what happened in Nazi Germany is in extremely poor taste.  

I think that if you are an actor/athelete/musician -- you need to show much better judgement than what either Pedro/Gina posted.

I don't think Disney/Lucasfilm cares about anything other than avoiding controversy -- and getting rid of an actress who plays a bit part in a TV series is really easy.  I don't think they actually care what she said.

If we are looking at those two posts, I don't think one is a fireable offence, while the other is something that is perfectly fine.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

:Wrong:

Prove it. In what way am I wrong? Pascal falsely claimed that immigrant children being temporarily held in cages and being cared for while their parents were going through the sanctuary process is the same as Nazis keeping Jewish children in cages where they were tortured and killed. Both are bad, but they are clearly not equal. Carano claimed that just like normal citizens were encouraged to attack and revile Jews, now, normal citizens are encouraged to attack and revile people based on their politics. Again, both are bad, but they are clearly not equal. However, her comparison is more accurate than Pascals as people are being attacked and canceled for merely having different opinions, whereas none of those kids in cages were tortured and killed.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

People who actually think Republicans are persecuted, let alone in physical danger from Democrats, for their political beliefs, are the dumbest mother fuckers on the planet. I'm not sorry if I offended you, you're seriously fucking dumb for believing that.

Not Republicans, but people who don't carry the current mainstream thought. Gina Carano getting fired because she had the audacity to claim that people shouldn't be attacked for having a differing political opinion is proof of that.

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Not sure what you mean. Grey can be bright. The issue is with things blending together. There's just no contrast in the color palette onscreen. It all washes together constantly. I've been saying it since the first Avengers movie but this guy says it way better than me. Vid is four years old though.

I wouldn't frame that as "grey" and without color I suppose. The video seems to be arguing the the blacks are not deep black, which does a disservice to the color, not that the color isn't there. Which maybe is true? I'd have to think about that analysis. But high values of the blacks is not the same as desaturating the colors whereas I do think some movies (and far too many "gritty" games) in contrast are "guilty" of that.

6 minutes ago, Bataar said:

Not Republicans, but people who don't carry the current mainstream thought. Gina Carano getting fired because she had the audacity to claim that people shouldn't be attacked for having a differing political opinion is proof of that.

That's not why she got fired but keep pretending to be that smooth brained my man. It's a good look for you.

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

People who think that Republicans in America are like Jews in Nazi Germany are stupid. 
People who think that children getting separated at the border is the same as getting sent to the gas chamber are stupid. 

Exactly. Which is why people who make such comparisons should be treated the same.

3 minutes ago, legend said:

I wouldn't frame that as "grey" and without color I suppose. The video seems to be arguing the the blacks are not deep black, which does a disservice to the color, not that the color isn't there. Which maybe is true? I'd have to think about that analysis. But high values of the blacks is not the same as desaturating the colors whereas I do think some movies (and far too many "gritty" games) in contrast are "guilty" of that.

The blacks are the main point he touched on, yes. But he showed what some adjustments could look like that did a lot more than just adjust black levels. But when your darkest darks aren't dark it will lose contrast. That gives it that look of things washing together that I'm talking about.

Just now, GeneticBlueprint said:

That's not why she got fired but keep pretending to be that smooth brained my man. It's a good look for you.

I know that's now why she got fired, but that was the point of her statement. However, she didn't say anything antiemetic, she didn't say anything against Jews, she should not have been fired at all for what she said.

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

People who think that Republicans in America are like Jews in Nazi Germany are stupid. 
People who think that children getting separated at the border is the same as getting sent to the gas chamber are stupid. 

Come on man. The comparison isn't the gas chamber. The comparison is putting ethnic minorities in cages and splitting up families.

• Thanks 1

Just now, GeneticBlueprint said:

The blacks are the main point he touched on, yes. But he showed what some adjustments could look like that did a lot more than just adjust black levels. But when your darkest darks aren't dark it will lose contrast. That gives it that look of things washing together that I'm talking about.

Fair enough. I don't object to the idea that the color grading could be improved (although I didn't like his stab at it :p ).

25 minutes ago, Bataar said:

Prove it. In what way am I wrong? Pascal falsely claimed that immigrant children being temporarily held in cages and being cared for while their parents were going through the sanctuary process is the same as Nazis keeping Jewish children in cages where they were tortured and killed. Both are bad, but they are clearly not equal. Carano claimed that just like normal citizens were encouraged to attack and revile Jews, now, normal citizens are encouraged to attack and revile people based on their politics. Again, both are bad, but they are clearly not equal. However, her comparison is more accurate than Pascals as people are being attacked and canceled for merely having different opinions, whereas none of those kids in cages were tortured and killed.

1. This happened and may still be happening in the US. Lol fuck sake picking up a picture that's not from the US doesn't change that. 

2. The Nazis didn't start with torture and gas chambers either. But they also didn't start with firing rich people from their jobs after giving them tons of chances to not be dumbasses. 

Just now, Bataar said:

Exactly. Which is why people who make such comparisons should be treated the same.

People who think JFK was shot from the grassy knoll and people who think that Hillary Clinton cut the face off of a child and wore it as a mask are both stupid. One is massively more stupid than the other.  

It’s almost as if there are degrees, and that some of those degrees are infinitely worse than others.  

1 minute ago, Bataar said:

I know that's now why she got fired, but that was the point of her statement. However, she didn't say anything antiemetic, she didn't say anything against Jews, she should not have been fired at all for what she said.

You don't have to say "I hate Jews" for your message to be anti-anti-Semitic. You don't even have to actually hate Jews for your message to be anti-Semitic. You can just be monumentally fucking stupid and happen to be anti-Semitic. 

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

You guys can't be shocked by Bataar's takes. Isn't this the same guy who was a Trump fan and bought into the election conspiracies?

I don't post enough on this board, but damn, I didn't realize Soberchef was this bad. Just...yikes.

SoberChef too doe.

Anyhow, the first amendment includes the right to freedom of association (not that freedom of speech covers your employer firing you of course), which must necessarily include the right to not associate with people you don't want to associate with. And Disney obviously thinks associating with her is bad for business.

Coming to the defense of Gina Carano's views - remember, she has plenty of bad takes, Holocaust comparison aside, means you are an ally of all of her views as a result. 

And, welp, that makes you a terrible person. Good job @SoberChef and @Bataar. This isn't a freedom of speech issue since it's not on public ground and not directly related with the government.

End of story.

• Haha 1