Pixar's "Inside Out 2" (June 14 2024) - Official Trailer

SoberChef

• 3 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Pixar's "Inside Out 2" (June 14 2024) - Official Trailer
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I liked this a lot. Definitely one of the better Pixar films in the last 10 or so years.

And holy moly, the tracking on this film was WAY off! Looks like it could end up over 155 million for the weekend, when early estimates had it closer to 70-80. 

• Halal 2
  • Hype 1

Can someone confirm that this movie features more hockey scenes than the first one? Just curious. (Trying to convince my older son to come with us when we see it...)

On 6/17/2024 at 12:46 PM, ort said:

Can someone confirm that this movie features more hockey scenes than the first one? Just curious. (Trying to convince my older son to come with us when we see it...)

It takes place at a hockey camp, and has quite a few scenes of hockey practice and games sprinkled throughout. But like the first, the majority of the film takes place inside the minds of the humans.

That was definitely a good show… I enjoy the way they visually realize “concepts” of self and stuff of that nature.  There was also a clear moment where it references other popular kids programs for laughs, in my theater you could definitely hear the adults laughing at the references and not the kids.

I think this is also one of the more “recent” kids movie/program where the protagonist does something legitimately bad and doesnt get caught/discovered to suffer consequences (it was a nice betrayal of expectation) It taps on the “puberty” button too, which was surprising because when Turning Red did the same it became a mini tragedy.. maybe the “Red Panda” was too much

• Halal 1

Saw it today with my kids.  I liked it a lot, but it feels more like a movie for kids who grew up with the first movie as opposed to a new movie for younger kids now.  I don’t think my four year old got much out of it other than the occasional slapstick gag.  Of the modern Pixar movies, it seems to have the least for younger kids going for it.  

I fucking loved it, possibly as much as the first even though there's a newness vibe I'm aware of. The only Pixar sequels I thoroughly enjoyed were Toy Story 2-4, but Inside Out now sits in that hemisphere.

Within the first 20 minutes, I had a good idea as to how the movie would evolve. It's 

Spoiler

basically the same premise as the first movie -- a person is the sum of their emotions, to which none of the are useless. But it finds new places to go with a well-meaning villain who has the right idea in a changing Riley but goes about it completely the wrong way. While I loved the idea of Riley leaving home and going through some kind of depression at the end of the first movie, which was high stakes, I felt the more pre-teen fitting in drama here worked even if it's lower stakes in real life. End of the day, the stakes in her mind felt just as big as the first film.

The added emotions were fun, and we got more time to see the full original group together in this film. Plus, I got more Lewis Black in this, and he was a trip.

Also, hope you stayed until the end of the credits!

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I saw this with my sister this morning and we both thoroughly enjoyed it!

We didn't stay to the end of the credits though!

It's not the BIGGEST scene ever, but it's a nice reveal as to 

Spoiler

what Riley's deepest darkest secret is.

• Shocked 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw this, and I loved it. By design, it’s pretty similar to the first one, but I think they “justified” making this sequel. They continue to find really elegant ways to explain and visualize how our brains work. My favorite example was 

Spoiler

Anxiety forcing all of Riley’s creativity to illustrate everything that could go possibly wrong during the scrimmage, and spiraling because of it

Ultimately a fairly simple idea, but still powerful. 

• Hype 1

14 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Finally saw this, and I loved it. By design, it’s pretty similar to the first one, but I think they “justified” making this sequel. They continue to find really elegant ways to explain and visualize how our brains work. My favorite example was 

Hide contents

Anxiety forcing all of Riley’s creativity to illustrate everything that could go possibly wrong during the scrimmage, and spiraling because of it

Ultimately a fairly simple idea, but still powerful. 

It's the best explanation I could think of, too: it's very similar as a sequel, yet it also feels as if they still made it fresh and different with how they approached the narrative.

I'm doubly impressed since I didn't know what to expect with a new director. 

• 2 weeks later...
WWW.CNBC.COM

Disney and Pixar's 'Inside Out 2' is now the highest-grossing animated movie of all time, surpassing Walt Disney Animation's "Frozen II."

On Tuesday, “Inside Out 2” surpassed $1.46 billion in global ticket sales, making it the highest-grossing animated feature of all time, usurping another Disney title “Frozen II.” And its box office will continue to grow. The film has yet to open in Japan, a region that contributed nearly $33 million to the $850.5 million global total of “Inside Out” in 2015.

I find it weird that it's so massively popular.

We saw this. It was fine. Not amazing, not bad... but you know. Pretty good. Pretty forgettable. Pretty pointlessly sequel-ly.

I'm not sure why they thought this movie really even needed to exist. I don't feel like it was super necessary. I guess the Pixar financial department disagrees, ha.

4 minutes ago, ort said:

I find it weird that it's so massively popular.

We saw this. It was fine. Not amazing, not bad... but you know. Pretty good. Pretty forgettable. Pretty pointlessly sequel-ly.

I'm not sure why they thought this movie really even needed to exist. I don't feel like it was super necessary. I guess the Pixar financial department disagrees, ha.

Two reasons:

1. The movie is fantastic.

2. Gen Z loved the first one, and some folks who watched the first have kids now.

They definitely nailed the anxiety of trying to make hockey teams and/or impress the coaches.

I wish sports movies would do a better job of portraying their sports more accurately. An 8th grader scoring any goals in a game against high schoolers is always going to get noticed. The idea that she needs to score 3 goals in a scrimmage to impress them was a little silly. They aren't really looking at who scores anyway... for the most part... they are looking more broadly at your overall game and how your skillset would slot into the roster they are constructing.

An average player from Minnesota moving to San Francisco and dominating definitally checks out though. Ha.