Black Friday Season Deals

crispy4000

32 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I’m finding it a much more engaging game Dragon’s Domga, which felt like a hollow shell IMO.

Yeah this may have a better story and presentation than Dragon's Dogma (which is what, 12 years old at this point btw) but DD shits all over this combat and gameplay wise. 

34 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

This has a fun combat system

It would be more fun if the gameplay wasn't "press Right Bumper until everything dies". There's simply no challenge in this game at all... at least at the parts I've played so far. I'm gonna go back and finish it, but if the challenge doesn't ramp up at some point I can see myself getting really bored.

On 11/17/2023 at 9:27 AM, Spork3245 said:

Anyone who's been eying m.2 upgrades for PS5 or just a new one in general, this Christmas shopping deal season will be the time to get one as prices are expected to rise next year with NAND memory being artificially limited by suppliers.

Before I go down this rabbit hole of picking out a new ps5 hard drive, do you have any recommendations or is there a popular one everybody goes with? Call of Duty finally made me hit my tipping point with the stock drive. I’ve had to delete too much to make it fit.

11 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Before I go down this rabbit hole of picking out a new ps5 hard drive, do you have any recommendations or is there a popular one everybody goes with? Call of Duty finally made me hit my tipping point with the stock drive. I’ve had to delete too much to make it fit.

How many tb do you want and what’s your budget?

@DarkStar189

This is what I have, Nextorage is owned by Phison and is Sony’s joint-venture partner:

Deal of the day: Nextorage Japan 4TB Internal SSD Work with New Playstation 5 Console and PC M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe with Heatsink Maximum Transfer Rate Read 7300MB/s Write6900MB/s NEM-PA4TB/N SYM https://a.co/d/6nSERHN

(I have the 2tb version, though)

Alternatively the SK Hynix P41 Platinum is top tier, as is the Western Digital SN850x, and the Solidigm P44 Pro. I wouldn’t get Samsung for PS5 unless you’re going to plug it into your PC and make sure it has the newest firmware first (OG firmware on the 980 and 990 Pros had an issue that would cause premature drive failure)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

@Spork3245 Definitely under $200. I just quickly had a moment to search and it seems like there are a few on sale for around $150 or less that I’d be down for.

That Nextorage 4tb is only $199 :santasun:

If you’re fine with 2tb that size is $99

Check the speeds before you buy if you’re not going for one of the ones I mentioned, as it makes a difference. There’s also a chance the controller is a lower quality one that may have concerns with longevity/durability 

2 minutes ago, Nokra said:

@DarkStar189 I have the 4TB WD SN850X (currently $230 from Amazon) and this heatsink. You'll want to just double-check (either in Amazon reviews/questions or in the official specs) that whatever heatsink you buy can fit inside the PS5 compartment, as apparently some are too large or otherwise have the wrong dimensions. 

Yea, @DarkStar189, you’ll need a heatsink if the drive doesn’t come with one. The one I linked to has one preinstalled 

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah this may have a better story and presentation than Dragon's Dogma (which is what, 12 years old at this point btw) but DD shits all over this combat and gameplay wise. 

It would be more fun if the gameplay wasn't "press Right Bumper until everything dies". There's simply no challenge in this game at all... at least at the parts I've played so far. I'm gonna go back and finish it, but if the challenge doesn't ramp up at some point I can see myself getting really bored.

How far did you make it?  Right bumper is a parry/dodge, which you do a lot of, but it doesn’t exactly kill things of its own accord.  I just got done with the first S rank monster.  Not super hard, but did put up a fight.

DD’s combat didn’t strike me as anything too special, but granted I only put 10 hours into it.  That’s when I called it quits after realizing it was just no fun for me.

8 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

How far did you make it?  Right bumper is a parry/dodge, which you do a lot of, but it doesn’t exactly kill things of its own accord.  I just got done with the first S rank monster.  Not super hard, but did put up a fight.

DD’s combat didn’t strike me as anything too special, but granted I only put 10 hours into it.  That’s when I called it quits after realizing it was just no fun for me.

I got about as far in FFXV! as you did in Dragon's Dogma except I actually plan on going back and finishing XV1 at some point. I'm not saying its a bad game, its just very easy and unchallenging at this point... hopefully it gets better. Dragon's Dogma's combat is leagues better than what I've played in FXVI so far and again, that game is over a decade old so I;m not really sure why the two are even being compared. XVI is and SHOULD be better in every other regard given how much bigger a budget it mostlikely had and the fact that its released on current gen systems and DD was released on the 360. So far FXVI seems like a lot of sizzle and no steak but I'm gonna keep playing it to find out. I do like the world and the story is interesting... another thing it definitely has over DD.

16 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

MK1 not dropping to $50 or less (PC) is killing me. I know I'm mostly just going to play the SP so I can't justify $70 (or even the $56-57 at CDKeys :p )

Lmao! Just dropped to $40 at GMG and CDKeys this morning. Is the Premium Edition worth an extra $11 for the Kombat Pack?

10 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I got about as far in FFXV! as you did in Dragon's Dogma except I actually plan on going back and finishing XV1 at some point. I'm not saying its a bad game, its just very easy and unchallenging at this point... hopefully it gets better. Dragon's Dogma's combat is leagues better than what I've played in FXVI so far and again, that game is over a decade old so I;m not really sure why the two are even being compared. XVI is and SHOULD be better in every other regard given how much bigger a budget it mostlikely had and the fact that its released on current gen systems and DD was released on the 360. So far FXVI seems like a lot of sizzle and no steak but I'm gonna keep playing it to find out. I do like the world and the story is interesting... another thing it definitely has over DD.

It’s partly the aesthetic.  Both go for this medieval European setting with real time fantasy combat.  DD2 would obviously be a more apt comparison to make once it’s out, and I hope it’ll make some positive changes.

It’s also the way this board talks about FF16 here that feels like piling on.  I’m finding it to be a fun video game with lavish production values that absolutely live up to the franchise.  Shitting on its combat feels like more to do with mismanaged expectations of what FF should be than any glaring mechanical fault with it.  Maybe some people want Ninja Gaiden difficulty from their action RPGs, but I’m fine with some moderate pushback in the campaign bosses and the real challenge being the super bosses… like any turn based FF.  Even criticisms of its quest design could be applied to modern games at large today, and there’s so many that space them out worse.  The most unnerving thing about FFXVI to me for its budget continues to be the lip sync, and even that’s offset by the excellent VO to some degree.

If the brand wasn’t attached, I don’t think it would be as poor regarded here.  There’d be more openness to look past its faults, the positives outweighing the negatives.  Which is a courtesy that has been extended here to Dragon’s Dogma, no doubt.  To me, those are the two extremes, which is why I bring it up.

7 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

EGS has a 33% off nearly anything more than $15. It got me The Crew Motorfest for $50 with an extra $5 in EGS credit. Don't care if Epic is losing money, I'll take the deal.

I saw this yesterday (the coupon) and just want to give a heads up that some games are cheaper at GMG and/or CDKeys still even after the 33% off coupon. Some are definitely cheaper at EGS with the coupon, though, but just want to note to check before making purchases, you thrifty mfers! :santasun:

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah but then you have to play The Crew Motorfest :sick:

Yeah, but I enjoyed the hell out of The Crew 2. Sometimes you just want a slightly goofy, mildly arcadey, but still slightly realistic open world racer and I don't feel like playing full price for a dedicated destruction derby game while Motorfest will let me jump between that, Monster Trucks, boat, and stunt plane racing.

Got a 55" Samsung S90 OLED from Costco for $1,299 plus a free five year warranty, super psyched. My old Insignia plasma finally kicked the bucket a month ago and since then we've been using an old ass Vizio LCD that we had in a spare room. Finally joining the 4K HDR master class.

• Like 1
  • Hype 3

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I saw this yesterday (the coupon) and just want to give a heads up that some games are cheaper at GMG and/or CDKeys still even after the 33% off coupon. Some are definitely cheaper at EGS with the coupon, though, but just want to note to check before making purchases, you thrifty mfers! :santasun:

Completely true.  CDKEYS also has the extra bonus of not charging sales tax (which may or may not be a big deal to some here -- I'm at 13%).