Gaza/Israel Update (04/02): Israeli airstrike kills foreign workers of World Central Kitchen (Chef José Andrés food aid charity)

14 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Well yeah its a complete failure on his part but people have a tendency to rally around the flag when their country is attacked and even leftist peaceful Israelis want blood right now. 9/11 was a complete failure by Bush but that didn't stop his popularity from going through the roof.

The judiciary issue will be washed away and he probably will be granted even new far reaching powers. His consolidation on power will be complete very soon. 

Haaretz is going after him hard right now so at the very least not all of the Israeli media is rolling over for him (unlike what the American media did for Dubya after 9/11).

13 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Well yeah its a complete failure on his part but people have a tendency to rally around the flag when their country is attacked and even leftist peaceful Israelis want blood right now. 9/11 was a complete failure by Bush but that didn't stop his popularity from going through the roof.

The judiciary issue will be washed away and he probably will be granted even new far reaching powers. His consolidation on power will be complete very soon. 

Yom Kippur War brought down Golda Meir.

Another senior Israeli military officer was killed today in an engagement with infiltrators from Lebanon:

IDF: The Deputy Commander of the 300th Brigade, Lieutenant Colonel (LTC) Alim Abdallah, was killed today (Monday) during a confrontation with terrorists who infiltrated from Lebanon into Israeli territory.

Lieutenant Colonel (LTC) Alim Abdallah, 40-years-old from Yanuh-Jat.

His family has been notified.

From Yaroslav Trofimov, the WSJ's chief foreign affairs correspondent:

The number of senior Israeli officers — colonels and lieutenant-colonels — killed in the last three days is staggering.

From CNN:

US offering Israel special operations planning and intel support for any hostage rescue effort, official says

The US is offering Israel special operations planning and intelligence support as part of the effort to rescue hostages taken by Hamas, a US defense official tells CNN.

The support would not entail US troops on the ground in Israel. Instead, the assistance would come in the form of intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance. 

The support would include help from US Central Command and US Special Operations Command, the official said, as well as Joint Special Operations Command, which is the command within the military that develops special operations tactics and plans. 

The topic also came up on a call between Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and his Israeli counterpart, Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, over the weekend, the official said. Afterward, Austin directed the JSOC team to “lean forward” with planning and intel support to the Israeli military.

Israel has not publicly stated how many hostages were taken in Hamas’s cross-border surprise attack from Gaza, but officials have acknowledged the number is significant. 

US authorities have been scrambling to establish how many Americans have been killed or taken hostage in the conflict.

From the Financial Times:

In recent months, there have been huge anti-government demonstrations — protesting against judicial reforms pushed by Netanyahu that the opposition say threaten Israel's democracy. Some senior figures from the security world have supported these demonstrations, and many Israeli reservists have been refusing to report for duty.

When the head of Shin Bet, the Israeli domestic intelligence service, warned Netanyahu earlier this year that deadly attacks by settlers on Palestinians would increase the security threat to Israel, he was roundly denounced by members of Netanyahu's Likud party. One Likud member of parliament complained: "The ideology of the left has reached the top echelons of the Shin Bet. The deep state has infiltrated the leadership of the Shin Bet and the IDF."

The far-right will certainly repeat those kinds of arguments in the coming weeks, as they press for vengeance against Hamas. But Israel's inquest will have to go well beyond the immediate intelligence and security failure — profound though that is. Netanyahu's entire strategy towards the Palestinians now looks like a failure.

The warning from Shin Bet:

The head of Israel’s Shin Bet security agency has warned Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of the danger posed by the increasing level of violence by Jewish settlers in the occupied West Bank, Ynet News reported on Sunday. Ronen Bar called the settler violence a “strategic threat” and warned that the Palestinians are expected to increase their attacks on Israelis in retaliation for the settler attacks.

Bar also said that settler “terror” boosts Islamic Jihad and Hamas in the occupied territories. He warned of attempts to kidnap a settler when attacks against Palestinian villages take place.

Haaretz dug up this quote from Netanyahu for one of its blazing editorials today:

“Anyone who wants to thwart the establishment of a Palestinian state has to support bolstering Hamas and transferring money to Hamas,” Netanyahu told his Likud party’s Knesset members in March 2019. “This is part of our strategy"

• Guillotine 2
  • Sicko 1

I'm nowhere near educated enough about this shit to have a nuanced opinion on any of this, but one thing does strike me - the far right factions in both Israel and Palestine benefit from heightened conflict/tension. Maybe in this particular case, they flew a little too close to the sun, but all of those people saying that this will be the end of Bibi or Likud in general... I don't see it. No one is going to give a shit about his corruption scandals or the supreme court bullshit for a good while, and his party's position will just be strengthened for the time being.

To be clear, I'm not trying to "both sides" the conflict in general and say one side is just as bad as the other or whatever, I'm just saying it seems to me that the people in power on both sides have very clear interest in making sure tensions stay high. As long as we can keep the people focused more on their fear of the other than their hatred of us, we can do anything we want, etc.

The mental gymnastics of Chuds on Ukraine and Israel being attacked:

Chud:

Ukraine being attacked and invaded by Russia?  Ukraine was asking for it, and America shouldn't help Ukraine.  None of our business.

Same Chud:

Israel being attacked and invaded by Hamas?  Israel did nothing to deserve this, and we should send as many weapons and ammunition as Israel asks for.  It's our business. 

• True 2
  • Halal 2

This is about as milquetoast level of support for the Palestinians from the Saudis as possible:

Saudi Arabia ‘continues to stand by’ Palestinians: MBS

Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, also known as MBS, has spoken on the phone with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

During the call, MBS said Saudi Arabia “is making every possible effort to engage with all international and regional parties to halt the ongoing escalation”, according to a statement issued by his office.

It added that the kingdom “continues to stand by the Palestinian people in their pursuit of their legitimate rights, striving for a dignified life, realising their hopes and aspirations, and achieving a just and lasting peace”.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Another senior Israeli military officer was killed today in an engagement with infiltrators from Lebanon:

From Yaroslav Trofimov, the WSJ's chief foreign affairs correspondent:

I’m getting weird Russian military failure vibes from l of this. 

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don't know what it is about this conflict specifically, but the amount of absolute bullshit I see on social media is truly astounding, Twitter specifically.

American liberals/western leftists are just as prone to intellectual failures, I’ve said this for years, but defending a worldview that runs contrary to everything we believe in seems a bit shortsighted. 

• Halal 1

13 hours ago, osxmatt said:

What does Bibi’s approval ratings look like in Israel? This attack appears to be a massive failure of Israeli intelligence, under his leadership.

This also has to be a clear repudiation of his policies, if it wasn’t already? He positions control of the Gaza border and West Bank settlements as integral to Israeli safety, but it’s clear their impact is just the opposite.

I’ve been periodically checking in with people I know and friends in Israel: it won’t be anything official (and will be extremely anecdotal) but next time I speak with some of them I’ll ask what the general vibes are regarding Netanyahu right now.

13 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

You absolutely cannot compare Israeli politics with American politics. Israel, as a country, is based around security and preparing for the eventuality of attacks every day and trying to be a step ahead. In elementary schools, when they do “active shooter” drills, kids aren’t taught to hide under desks, they’re taught to grab whatever they can and pelt it at the shooter while others charge to tackle the attacker. A failure of this magnitude will absolutely not be unnoticed or forgotten by the Israeli people when the dust settles. Netanyahu could wriggle his way out of this if he finds a convincing scapegoat, but it is very likely an uphill battle for him politically after this.

10 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'm nowhere near educated enough about this shit to have a nuanced opinion on any of this, but one thing does strike me - the far right factions in both Israel and Palestine benefit from heightened conflict/tension.

Absolutely no one in Palestine benefits from this. The ones who benefit are the foreign nations who hate Israel that fund Palestinian groups into fighting battles for them, and these countries couldn’t give less of a shit about Palestine or their “freedom”. I’ll go as far to say that these nations actually hate the Palestinians. 

10 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Maybe in this particular case, they flew a little too close to the sun, but all of those people saying that this will be the end of Bibi or Likud in general... I don't see it. No one is going to give a shit about his corruption scandals or the supreme court bullshit for a good while, and his party's position will just be strengthened for the time being.

As I mentioned above, it’s possible Bibi comes out of this mostly okay politically, but I do not believe that it’s going to be super easy for him.

• Halal 1

Horrifyingly, but not surprisingly, Netanyahu has partners who prefer revenge to concern for captives.

At a cabinet meeting, Smotrich said, “We have to be cruel now and not consider the captives overmuch.” This is unacceptable | Haaretz Editorial

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Israel just told Egypt that if they try to bring supplies to Gaza that Israel will bomb the trucks.

Do you have the sourcing for this?  All I could find was an "X" posted on ResetERA that originated from a pro-Erdogan journalist who supposedly supports the ethnic cleansing of Kurds and Armenians.

As far as I'm aware, the Rafah crossing is only temporarily closed.

35 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Do you have the sourcing for this?  All I could find was an "X" posted on ResetERA that originated from a pro-Erdogan journalist who supposedly supports the ethnic cleansing of Kurds and Armenians.

As far as I'm aware, the Rafah crossing is only temporarily closed.

It was posted by Walter Bloomberg on X and Breaking Market News, they didn’t provide a source. They’re typically apolitical but it may have come from that Erdogan journalist 

• Halal 1

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It was posted by Walter Bloomberg on X and Breaking Market News, they didn’t provide a source. They’re typically apolitical but it may have come from that Erdogan journalist 

From The Guardian:

Israel’s Channel 12 reports that Israeli officials warned their Egyptian counterparts against supplying aid to the besieged Gaza Strip, saying they would conduct airstrikes on trucks carrying supplies to the area.

Shortly after the announcement, convoys of fuel trucks and Egyptian goods due to enter Gaza via the southern border crossing with Egypt “retreated from the Rafah crossing,” said Channel 12. The crossing is closed indefinitely.

When contacted for comment about the threat of striking the aid trucks, an IDF spokesperson said they were aware of Channel 12’s report, but would not confirm whether they had issued the threat against the aid convoy. “No comment – all we can say is that we are following orders from the political echelons, and the ministry of defence has ordered a siege,” they said.

Israeli officials previously announced a complete siege of the Gaza Strip, with cuts to all water, fuel and food supplies.

• Halal 1

From The Guardian and Al Jazeera:

Hamas armed wing urges Ashkelon residents to leave

The spokesman of Hamas’s armed wing, al-Qassam Brigades, has given residents of the Israeli town of Ashkelon a deadline to leave.

“In response to the crime of the enemy displacing our people, and forcing them to flee their homes in several areas of the Gaza Strip, we are giving the residents of the occupied city of Ashkelon a deadline to leave before five o’clock this evening,” Abu Ubaida said in a statement.

Ashkelon is some 12km (7.5 miles) north of Gaza.