Gaza/Israel Update (04/02): Israeli airstrike kills foreign workers of World Central Kitchen (Chef José Andrés food aid charity)

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

There’s calls in Israel to arm all citizens: as it stands, to have a gun in Israel, (to my understanding) you must either work some type of security, be some type of law enforcement, or be active or reservist military.

Just think of all the dead Israelis if they did this, lol.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, TUFKAK said:

I’m over here trying to hire contractors to get my sister out and see that shit

American liberals are full of shit. Defend people who would kill you if given the chance 

Colonialism is bad, but it’s been over 75 years, like, where the F do you want the Israeli’s to go? Every country surrounding them thinks they don’t have a right to exist, and not just as a country but as people. Palestinian cartoons for children literally have antagonists as stereotypical Jews with horns and clawed hands and claim to eat children’s hearts. Like jfc, Israel provides Palestine with water, electricity, etc. (and, no, I’m not saying that makes any action by Israel okay ffs).

I do not support Israel further expanding into land where Palestinian’s already are living, but to fucking be “loling” a situation (or passive aggressively supporting fucking hamas’ actions (no one here btw)) where 700+ people are dead and many Israeli women and children have been literally kidnapped having god knows fucking what being done to them, is some next level “please go jump in front of a fucking bus” type shit. 

• Halal 2

A very prescient essay from Christopher Hitchens written in 2006, a man whose sympathy for the cause of Palestinian liberation was never doubted or questioned.

SLATE.COM

Almost all our commentary on the Israel-Palestine dispute is unconsciously ethnocentric and practically every paragraph on the Hamas election victory...

(Note: Hamas has never bothered to hold another election since 2006)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Colonialism is bad, but it’s been over 75 years, like, where the F do you want the Israeli’s to go? Every country surrounding them thinks they don’t have a right to exist, and not just as a country but as people. Palestinian cartoons for children literally have antagonists as stereotypical Jews with horns and clawed hands and claim to eat children’s hearts. Like jfc, Israel provides Palestine with water, electricity, etc. (and, no, I’m not saying that makes any action by Israel okay ffs).

I do not support Israel further expanding into land where Palestinian’s already are living, but to fucking be “loling” a situation (or passive aggressively supporting fucking hamas’ actions (no one here btw)) where 700+ people are dead and many Israeli women and children have been literally kidnapped having god knows fucking what being done to them, is some next level “please go jump in front of a fucking bus” type shit. 

My sister is early 20s

They touch a hair in her head I will end their fucking blood line.

Magnify that response by Israel Abd realize what is about to happen 

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Which was the fundamental question that created mass Jewish migration to the Mandate in the first place, where the f were the Jews supposed to go? Yeah, they colonized an area they have a mythological connections with as a means of securing themselves against a European history of slaughter at the expense of the local population. Preventing that colonization required Europe to not commit the Holocaust and convince the Jews that the centuries of Jewish slaughter was over. 

We keep living in this fantasy that a 2 State Solution is possible, come up with a way to unfuck this map, then come up with a way to convince Israel to implement that plan against their belief it'll create basically mega Gaza. 

spacer.png

• Halal 2

20 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Which was the fundamental question that created mass Jewish migration to the Mandate in the first place, where the f were the Jews supposed to go? Yeah, they colonized an area they have a mythological connections with as a means of securing themselves against a European history of slaughter at the expense of the local population. Preventing that colonization required Europe to not commit the Holocaust and convince the Jews that the centuries of Jewish slaughter was over. 

To quote Hitchens again:

"Suppose that a man leaps out of a burning building—as my dear friend and colleague Jeff Goldberg sat and said to my face over a table at La Tomate in Washington not two years ago—and lands on a bystander in the street below.

"Now, make the burning building be Europe, and the luckless man underneath be the Palestinian Arabs. Is this a historical injustice? Has the man below been made a victim, with infinite cause of complaint and indefinite justification for violent retaliation? My own reply would be a provisional 'no,' but only on these conditions. The man leaping from the burning building must still make such restitution as he can to the man who broke his fall, and must not pretend that he never even landed on him. And he must base his case on the singularity and uniqueness of the original leap.

"It can't, in other words, be 'leap, leap, leap' for four generations and more. The people underneath cannot be expected to tolerate leaping on this scale and of this duration, if you catch my drift. In Palestine, tread softly, for you tread on their dreams. And do not tell the Palestinians that they were never fallen upon and bruised in the first place. Do not shame yourself with the cheap lie that they were told by their leaders to run away."

• Like 1
  • Halal 4

WWW.WSJ.COM

The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps gave the final go-ahead last Monday in Beirut

Iranian security officials helped plan the attack and gave the green light for its execution at a meeting in Beirut last Monday, according to senior members of Hamas and Hezbollah.

• Guillotine 4
  • Sad 1

WWW.REUTERS.COM

While Israel was led to believe it was containing a war-weary Hamas by providing economic incentives to Gazan workers, the group's fighters were being trained and drilled, often in plain sight, a source close to Hamas said.

A careful campaign of deception ensured Israel was caught off guard when the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas launched its devastating attack, enabling a force using bulldozers, hang gliders and motorbikes to take on the Middle East's most powerful army.

Saturday's assault, the worst breach in Israel's defences since Arab armies waged war in 1973, followed two years of subterfuge by Hamas that involved keeping its military plans under wraps and convincing Israel it did not want a fight.

While Israel was led to believe it was containing a war-weary Hamas by providing economic incentives to Gazan workers, the group's fighters were being trained and drilled, often in plain sight, a source close to Hamas said.

This source provided many of the details for the account of the attack and its buildup that has been pieced together by Reuters. Three sources within Israel's security establishment, who like others asked not to be identified, also contributed to this account.

"Hamas gave Israel the impression that it was not ready for a fight," said the source close to Hamas, describing plans for the most startling assault since the Yom Kippur War 50 years ago when Egypt and Syria surprised Israel and made it fight for its survival.

"Hamas used an unprecedented intelligence tactic to mislead Israel over the last months, by giving a public impression that it was not willing to go into a fight or confrontation with Israel while preparing for this massive operation," the source said.

In one of the most striking elements of their preparations, Hamas constructed a mock Israeli settlement in Gaza where they practiced a military landing and trained to storm it, the source close to Hamas said, adding they even made videos of the manoeuvres.

"Israel surely saw them but they were convinced that Hamas wasn't keen on getting into a confrontation," the source said.

Meanwhile, Hamas sought to convince Israel it cared more about ensuring that workers in Gaza, a narrow strip of land with more than two million residents, had access to jobs across the border and had no interest in starting a new war.

"Hamas was able to build a whole image that it was not ready for a military adventure against Israel," the source said.

Since a 2021 war with Hamas, Israel has sought to provide a basic level of economic stability in Gaza by offering incentives including thousands of permits so Gazans can work in Israel or the West Bank, where salaries in construction, agriculture or service jobs can be 10 times the level of pay in Gaza.

"We believed that the fact that they were coming in to work and bringing money into Gaza would create a certain level of calm. We were wrong," another Israeli army spokesperson said.

An Israeli security source acknowledged Israel's security services were duped by Hamas. "They caused us to think they wanted money," the source said. "And all the time they were involved in exercises/drills until they ran riot."

As part of its subterfuge in the past two years, Hamas refrained from military operations against Israel, even as another Gaza-based Islamist armed group known as Islamic Jihad launched a series of its own assaults or rocket attacks.

Many Hamas leaders were unaware of the plans and, while training, the 1,000 fighters deployed in the assault had no inkling of the exact purpose of the exercises, the source added.

When the day came, the operation was divided into four parts, the Hamas source said, describing the various elements.

The first move was a barrage of 3,000 rockets fired from Gaza that coincided with incursions by fighters who flew hang gliders over the border, the source said. Israel has previously said 2,500 rockets were fired at first.

Once the fighters on hang-gliders were on the ground, they secured the terrain so an elite commando unit could storm the fortified electronic and cement wall that divides Gaza from the settlements and which was built by Israel to prevent infiltration.

The fighters used explosives to breach the barriers and then sped across on motorbikes. Bulldozers widened the gaps and more fighters entered in four-wheel drives, scenes that witnesses described.

A commando unit attacked the Israeli army's southern Gaza headquarters and jammed its communications, preventing personnel from calling commanders or each other, the source said.

The final part involved moving hostages to Gaza, mostly achieved early in the attack, the source close to Hamas said.

In one well-publicised hostage taking, fighters abducted party-goers fleeing a rave near the kibbutz of Re'im near Gaza. Social media footage showed dozens of people running through fields and on a road as gunshots were heard.

"How could this party happen this close (to Gaza)?" the Israeli security source said

• Guillotine 1

The disaster that befell Israel on the holiday of Simchat Torah is the clear responsibility of one person: Benjamin Netanyahu. The prime minister, who has prided himself on his vast political experience and irreplaceable wisdom in security matters, completely failed to identify the dangers he was consciously leading Israel into when establishing a government of annexation and dispossession, when appointing Bezalel Smotrich and Itamar Ben-Gvir to key positions, while embracing a foreign policy that openly ignored the existence and rights of Palestinians.

Just now, mclumber1 said:

With Israel implicating Iran, how likely is it that Israel takes direct military action against Tehran?

So far, Iran has been implicated only by Hamas and Hezbollah.  If/when the implication comes from Israel and/or the US, the chances of overt military action rise to "highly probable".

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

So far, Iran has been implicated only by Hamas and Hezbollah.  If/when the implication comes from Israel and/or the US, the chances of overt military action rise to "highly probable".

WWW.THEDAILYBEAST.COM

Sen. Cory Booker on Sunday described his experience in Israel as militants from Gaza moved in.

4 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

We keep living in this fantasy that a 2 State Solution is possible, come up with a way to unfuck this map, then come up with a way to convince Israel to implement that plan against their belief it'll create basically mega Gaza. 

spacer.png

I don’t disagree (a two state solution is basically a fantasy), but I want to clarify that my comment was regarding now, not when colonial powers (mostly the British) decided to draw imaginary lines on maps and completely buttfuck the Middle East. If land was carved out of Germany instead (since Israel’s creation was in response to the end of WWII and the holocaust), maybe things would be different, but world powers of the time wanted to give the biblical holy land (and also probably didn’t want to give up European land). There were Jewish settlements in that region already, and, if I’m remembering my high school history classes correctly, a two state solution was initially offered by the British map line drawers in 1946/1947 but the Palestinians rejected it (and no, I’m not saying the Palestinian’s are to blame), and the (now) Israelis slowly gained control of more of the area via fighting.

My question is now, in 2023, where do these “free Palestine” people want the Israelis to go? I’ve noticed it’s typically no actual answer from these people, or they low-key support genocide. 

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I don’t disagree (a two state solution is basically a fantasy), but I want to clarify that my comment was regarding now, not when colonial powers (mostly the British) decided to draw imaginary lines on maps and completely buttfuck the Middle East. If land was carved out of Germany instead (since Israel’s creation was in response to the end of WWII and the holocaust), maybe things would be different, but world powers of the time wanted to give the biblical holy land (and also probably didn’t want to give up European land). There were Jewish settlements in that region already, and, if I’m remembering my high school history classes correctly, a two state solution was initially offered by the British map line drawers in 1946/1947 but the Palestinians rejected it (and no, I’m not saying the Palestinian’s are to blame), and the (now) Israelis slowly gained control of more of the area via fighting.

My question is now, in 2023, where do these “free Palestine” people want the Israelis to go? I’ve noticed it’s typically no actual answer from these people, or they low-key support genocide. 

Correct, Palestinians rejected the allies original proposal. That certainly doesn’t excuse all Israeli actions against Palestinians in Gaza, but it’s far from the “Israel bad, Palestinians Innocent Civilians” rhetoric I’ve been seeing of leftists online. (Or the “Israel is the godliest state of Godliest states” from the right).

19 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The 1946/1947 partition plan was completely untenable as the Palestinian areas were non-contiguous and therefore subject to being isolated by the Israeli territories.

Sounds on par for British map makers of the time

EDIT: Realized I meant but forgot to state in my post that it was a garbage offer and I don’t blame the Palestinians for not taking that offer.

• Halal 1

EDITION.CNN.COM

The rockets began around 6:30 a.m., Tal Gibly told CNN. Thirty minutes later, she and hundreds of others attending an Israeli music festival were running as Gaza militants fired...

A friend from work was talking about going, thankfully her plans changed.

Here are the latest casualty figures as of 2pm local time (11:00 GMT):

Gaza

Killed: At least 510
Injured: At least 2,750

Occupied West Bank

Killed: At least 16
Injured: At least 80

Israel

Killed: At least 800
Injured: At least 2,243

The figures have been reported by the Palestinian health ministry, Palestine Red Crescent Society, and Israeli Medical Services.

Ukraine saying that Russia gave captured western small arms to Hamas in order to blame Ukraine for the Hamas attack and halt western weapons deliveries:

WWW.PRAVDA.COM.UA

Russian occupiers provided Hamas militants with US- and EU-manufactured trophy weapons that they captured during the hostilities in Ukraine. Defence Intelligence of Ukraine says Russia is...

Only hours later:

WoDY7o6.png

• Guillotine 1

35 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Ukraine saying that Russia gave captured western small arms to Hamas in order to blame Ukraine for the Hamas attack and halt western weapons deliveries:

WWW.PRAVDA.COM.UA

Russian occupiers provided Hamas militants with US- and EU-manufactured trophy weapons that they captured during the hostilities in Ukraine. Defence Intelligence of Ukraine says Russia is...

Only hours later:

WoDY7o6.png

No one is fooled by this except conservative Americans. But maybe that's the point. Just add smoke to social media and create confusion in public spaces. 

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

But maybe that's the point. Just add smoke to social media and create confusion in public spaces. 

Bingo. Information wars are fought with "reasons" in critical windows of time, not facts. Where are the WMDs? First it was too soon to say, then it was too late to care. 

• Halal 1