Gaza/Israel Update (04/02): Israeli airstrike kills foreign workers of World Central Kitchen (Chef José Andrés food aid charity)

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Ukraine saying that Russia gave captured western small arms to Hamas in order to blame Ukraine for the Hamas attack and halt western weapons deliveries:

WWW.PRAVDA.COM.UA

Russian occupiers provided Hamas militants with US- and EU-manufactured trophy weapons that they captured during the hostilities in Ukraine. Defence Intelligence of...

Only hours later:

WoDY7o6.png

This almost assuredly didn't actually happen.

16 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

The company I am working with now just sent out an email looking for volunteers extraction services. Giving nice bonuses.

I’m actually surprised how affordable private contractors are honestly. I’ve a few feelers out.

59 minutes ago, Brian said:

I work for a company that has an office in Israel and strong ties to the region. The Monday morning meeting was very emotional and heartbreaking. 

It's very emotional for a lot of people. I'm not Jewish, nor do I know anyone there, but the whole thing bothers me so much. I don't side with either faction, but I hate that these sorts of things are happening and don't care which side started it.

• True 1

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

As can be seen from these regulations, it's certainly not a "free-for-all" in the least.

Also, doesnt Israel have mandatory military service? I would assume the percentage of Israelis that can somewhat competently handle a firearm is significantly higher compared to the US.

• Halal 2

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

As can be seen from these regulations, it's certainly not a "free-for-all" in the least.

True.  From what I remember, just prior to the Ukraine/Russia war kicking off, the Ukrainian government was handing out rifles like candy to anyone who wanted one.  

13 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Also, doesnt Israel have mandatory military service? I would assume the percentage of Israelis that can somewhat competently handle a firearm is significantly higher compared to the US.

That's correct, and Israelis have a significant reserve duty commitment following the conclusion of their active duty service.

1 hour ago, brucoe said:

It's very emotional for a lot of people. I'm not Jewish, nor do I know anyone there, but the whole thing bothers me so much. I don't side with either faction, but I hate that these sorts of things are happening and don't care which side started it.

I have rationalized the moral culpability for this terrorist act and what's about to befall the long-suffering people of Gaza as follows:

Immediate Moral Responsibility:  Hamas and Islamic Jihad. Full Stop. No "ifs", "ands", or "buts".

Long-Term Moral Responsibility:  Israel.  The ethnocentric/apartheid-like policies of the Israeli state have resulted in the dehumanization of the Palestinian population and provided fertile soil for groups like Hamas and Islamic Jihad to take root.

Existential Moral Responsibility:  Europe. Whether in the form of the persecution of Jews for the act of simply being Jewish that began under Constantine to the pogroms of the Middle Ages that found their culmination in the death camps of the Shoah as well as the imperial indifference/incompetence of the British Empire who promised the same land to Arab and Jew alike, it is Europe that bears the "ultimate" moral stain for the decades of blood shed in the Levant.

• Like 4
  • Halal 1

38 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Yes, 3 years for men, 2 years for women. They're allowed to do civil service instead in some instances, but the vast majority just do their conscription. IIRC, they also get some basic firearms training in high school (final year prior to conscription). So, basically, like 90%+ of Israeli's have (at least basic) firearms training.

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

Can we give the Jews the state of Missouri? 

Do you know where the British wanted to ship Europe's Jews off to initially?  Uganda.

No, I'm not kidding.  Uganda.

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

The British wanted to do literally anything with European Jews other than give them a home in a place where brown-skinned people wouldn't be displaced.

• Confused 1
  • Shocked 2

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I have rationalized the moral culpability for this terrorist act  and what's about to befall the long-suffering people of Gaza as follows:

Immediate Moral Responsibility:  Hamas. Full Stop. No "ifs", "ands", or "buts".

Long-Term Moral Responsibility:  Israel.  The ethnocentric/apartheid-like policies of the Israeli state that have resulted in the dehumanization of the Palestinian population and provided fertile soil for groups like Hamas and Islamic Jihad to take root.

Existential Moral Responsibility:  Europe. Whether in the form of the persecution of Jews that began under Constantine to the pogroms of the Middle Ages that found their culmination in the death camps of the Shoah as well as the imperial indifference/incompetence of the British Empire who promised the same land to Arab and Jew alike, it is Europe that bears the "ultimate" moral stain for the decades of blood shed in the Levant.

I think is ignores the moral culpability of other nations in the region. Jordan, Syria, Egypt etc

Why are their atrocities glossed over. Nobody wanted this population, Israel was dropped a mess nobody else touched.

doesn’t excuse them either but I’m so tired of westerners blaming Israel while giving others a pass. 

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Do you know where the British wanted to ship Europe's Jews off to initially?  Uganda.

No, I'm not kidding.  Uganda.

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

The British wanted to do literally anything with European Jews other than give them a home in a place where brown-skinned people wouldn't be displaced.

I think my idea is better than anything the Brits could ever come up with! 

5 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

I think is ignores the moral culpability of other nations in the region. Jordan, Syria, Egypt etc

Why are there atrocities glossed over 

I largely consider their actions to be outgrowths or knock-on effects of other, more significant causes and I'm simply uninterested in engaging in an "Atrocity Olympics".

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I largely consider their actions to be outgrowths or knock-on effects of other, more significant causes and I'm simply uninterested in engaging in an "Atrocity Olympics".

I don’t disagree with the latter, but ignoring the human effect of “being abandoned” ignores human psychology. I’m sure in their position I’d be just as militant, I was lied to into a war half a world away and hurt people who were never a threat to me, because of that effect after all. Israel could’ve prevented today by uplifting Palestine, they didn’t, now you have people like me terrified over their sisters safety. But the entire world abandoned Palestine, it’s not just Israel’s failure. It’s all of ours. This is on all of us. 

• Halal 3

11 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

I don’t disagree with the latter, but ignoring the human effect of “being abandoned” ignores human psychology. I’m sure in their position I’d be just as militant, I was lied to into a war half a world away and hurt people who were never a threat to me, because of that effect after all. Israel could’ve prevented today by uplifting Palestine, they didn’t, now you have people like me terrified over their sisters safety. But the entire world abandoned Palestine, it’s not just Israel’s failure. It’s all of ours. This is on all of us. 

You will get no argument from me that the Palestinians have been royally screwed by everyone, including their own Arab brethren.  When I say "no one gives a damn about the Palestinians", that's not an exaggeration - that's the cold, hard reality.

A significant reason why I place a greater degree of moral culpability on Israel than Egypt, Jordan, or Syria has largely to do with the fact that Israel has more freedom of action to take greater moral risks because it has the practically unconditional backing of the West politically, economically, and militarily.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

A significant reason why I place a greater degree of moral culpability on Israel than Egypt, Jordan, or Syria has largely to do with the fact that Israel has more freedom of action to take greater moral risks because it has the practically unconditional backing of the West politically, economically, and militarily.

I dunno man, then I read that Hamas used these aid programs to gain trust and access to Israel to commit their attack and it's like, how can you work with that?

Just now, SuperSpreader said:

I dunno man, then I read that Hamas used these aid programs to gain trust and access to Israel to commit their attack and it's like, how can you work with that?

You can't because the "moral window" when all of these things should've been done effectively slammed shut decades ago.

• Halal 2

Just now, Jwheel86 said:

So what's the most likely long term people solution? Seems like the West Bank is on auto pilot to be outright annexed in a few decades, but what about Gaza?

The West Bank will NEVER be fully annexed because that would be a demographic death sentence for a Jewish-centric Israeli state.

As for Gaza: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, Jwheel86 said:

So what's the most likely long term people solution? Seems like the West Bank is on auto pilot to be outright annexed in a few decades, but what about Gaza?

IF I WERE THE BOSS - Complete military control, take families and re-distribute them throughout Israel and turn Gaza into some sort of nature preserve. Being in a melting pot of misery just leads to planning not integration and coexistence. 

Just now, 5timechamp said:

It would be great if someone would hold accountable the real heads of these “terrorist” organizations like Hamas… those clowns sit in giant towers in Qatar and palaces in Saudi Arabia while someone else feels the brunt of their ideology..

While this is true, have you considered what that would do to the price of a barrel of oil?!?