Going through that cycle of not having any interest in games…

gamer.tv

I wonder if this happens to others, but I seem to either be in a games & movies rotation, or television and reading. For some ridiculous reason, my wife and I have started rewatching Malcolm in the Middle - so I thought I’d have Zelda on the go at the same time. It just didn’t have any stickability with me, same for any Switch games or really anything on the PS5. 

The good news (if it’s even that) is that around December the cycle will shift and it’ll be all games and movies. 

1 hour ago, gamer.tv said:

I wonder if this happens to others, but I seem to either be in a games & movies rotation, or television and reading. For some ridiculous reason, my wife and I have started rewatching Malcolm in the Middle - so I thought I’d have Zelda on the go at the same time. It just didn’t have any stickability with me, same for any Switch games or really anything on the PS5. 

The good news (if it’s even that) is that around December the cycle will shift and it’ll be all games and movies. 

I usually go through this about once a year, usually during the late spring and summer months. But most of the time the AAA games hit in the Fall / Winter months and into the Holiday season and my interest piques again. October of this year is absolutely packed with games. Spiderman 2, Forza, Assassin’s Creed, a new Mario Game etc…just crazy. 

2 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

This is the same for me. I'll read every day. I'll go a week at a time without playing something though. And actually, since Better Call Saul ended I haven't watched a single show. Just movies.

I'm the opposite in that I watch shows and movies are kinda rare for me. I can get invested in a good show, plus they're good for when I'm on the treadmill or a slow work night.

The way I avoid this is to always have at least THREE games that I'm currently playing and to not be afraid to replay old faves. I can't remember the last time I went through one of these gaming slumps. I don't game everyday though because sometimes I either just don't have the time or I just don't feel like it. Gaming relaxes me though but so do other hobbies of mine.

I never hit a slump really. I always have stuff I want to play, I’ll never get through my backlog. I go through periods where I’m simply busy doing other stuff or really into a show and want to pay more attention to it or what have you, but I’m always interested in games even when I’m not playing them. There’s not a day I don’t see what new is going on in gaming news. 

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

I pretty much stop playing games between like April-September every year. Not consciously, really, it's just something I do for some reason. I burn myself out and then spend a few months playing The Sims or Stardew Valley, if I play anything at all.

Starting around now, I start to pick things up again.

It happens every single year.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I never hit a slump really. I always have stuff I want to play, I’ll never get through my backlog. I go through periods where I’m simply busy doing other stuff or really into a show and want to pay more attention to it or what have you, but I’m always interested in games even when I’m not playing them. There’s not a day I don’t see what new is going on in gaming news. 

Yeah this is pretty much me as well. 

On 9/23/2023 at 6:10 PM, gamer.tv said:

All the time. This might be the year I’ve played the most AAA games, but I really haven’t spent a ton of time gaming aside from new big hits. I fell off Starfield after two weeks, and haven’t played a game since. 

I definitely game more in the winter. Spring and summer is fishing, Fall is hunting, I just kinda fit gaming in the cracks there somewhere. 

Im really not planning anything right now, but I’ll definitely start Cyberpunk tomorrow. Spidey 2 next month. Then I don’t really know if there’s anything coming before the end of the year. Either way, October is Turkey, Moose season starts tomorrow, November/December is deer, so I generally don’t think much about gaming during those times. Having other hobbies helps with not burning out on gaming. 

@gamer.tv also, I’ve been meaning to ask, what is the gaming scene like over there? Is it as widespread with young Brits as it is here? I hardly know of anyone here under 40 who doesn’t at least have a console they play semi-regularly. I ask because we were there a few years ago to sightsee and visit some friends, and I noticed all of them were pretty dismissive of gaming (I had my switch), and most especially when I played it in public, such as your busses or trains. People, especially adults, would give pretty strange looks (no, I didn’t have the volume up, I used headphones). Also, none of the people I knew (which is only two families) had consoles, even though they definitely played when theh stayed over here. Is it still something the country at large see’s as “For kids”?

4 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

All the time. This might be the year I’ve played the most AAA games, but I really haven’t spent a ton of time gaming aside from new big hits. I fell off Starfield after two weeks, and haven’t played a game since. 

I definitely game more in the winter. Spring and summer is fishing, Fall is hunting, I just kinda fit gaming in the cracks there somewhere. 

Im really not planning anything right now, but I’ll definitely start Cyberpunk tomorrow. Spidey 2 next month. Then I don’t really know if there’s anything coming before the end of the year. Either way, October is Turkey, Moose season starts tomorrow, November/December is deer, so I generally don’t think much about gaming during those times. Having other hobbies helps with not burning out on gaming. 

@gamer.tv also, I’ve been meaning to ask, what is the gaming scene like over there? Is it as widespread with young Brits as it is here? I hardly know of anyone here under 40 who doesn’t at least have a console they play semi-regularly. I ask because we were there a few years ago to sightsee and visit some friends, and I noticed all of them were pretty dismissive of gaming (I had my switch), and most especially when I played it in public, such as your busses or trains. People, especially adults, would give pretty strange looks (no, I didn’t have the volume up, I used headphones). Also, none of the people I knew (which is only two families) had consoles, even though they definitely played when theh stayed over here. Is it still something the country at large see’s as “For kids”?

I would say gaming is widespread for my demographic and younger (millennials), though it seems older didn’t continue the hobby. Rare to see anyone playing handheld games outside of phones, maybe due to a perception it may encourage crime? (That’s just a guess). 

My mum will definitely still ask if I’m wasting my time playing games and doesn’t see it as a valid hobby. 

• Thanks 1

I've definitely had periods where I hardly play anything or otherwise can't find the same joy in the hobby that I used to. different things pull me out of it. Sometimes it's a small game that doesn't feel very intimidating, other times it's a giant flashy new game that peaks my interest and reminds me why I enjoy games in the first place.

46 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I've definitely had periods where I hardly play anything or otherwise can't find the same joy in the hobby that I used to. different things pull me out of it. Sometimes it's a small game that doesn't feel very intimidating, other times it's a giant flashy new game that peaks my interest and reminds me why I enjoy games in the first place.

Traditionally, the following types have always pulled me back:

Amazing online experience (for me that’s been CoD4, Halo:Reach, Gears 2, Overwatch, Rocket League)

Tight, indie experience (Journey, What Remains, Limbo etc)

10 hour AAA smash (Gears 2/3 in the past, Metroid Dread/Prime, RE2/7/8)