BO Report: Barbenheimer are fucking unstoppable -- Barbie $162m, Oppenheimer $82.5m (one of the highest R-rated openings), one of the highest grossing weekends ever

mojo-logo-bg.png
WWW.BOXOFFICEMOJO.COM

Updated figures this AM show Warner Bros.’ new franchise based on the Mattel doll at $48.1M (-32% from Friday/previews), for what is shaping up to still be a $155M start; the biggest opening of 2023. Others believe in their bones this Greta Gerwing directed, Margot Robbie-Ryan Gosling combo is destined for $160M. Warners isn’t a studio to get over their skis in estimates.

Meanwhile, Oppenheimer might be about a bomb, but it’s certainly not a bomb in the box office sense of the word with the Universal Christopher Nolan directed movie eyed $25.8M on Saturday, -22% from Friday night/previews of $33M for what’s shaping up to be an awesome $80.5M opening per Universal this morning. As we spotted on Thursday night, Oppenheimer looked like it was going to emulate the box office trajectory of the R-rated X-Men title, Logan. That pic’s first day/previews was also $33M, however had a $31.3M Saturday for what turned out to be an $88.4M opening. Point is, audiences are approaching this Nolan movie like a comic-book movie, not the adult drama that it is. In fact both movies’ fervent fans are owning it in their cinema attire, dressing up like the characters in Barbie and Oppenheimer (scroll down).

20230712-barbenheimer-oppenheimer-barbie

It’s so great to see these films really breaking through. God bless Nolan for packing IMAX theaters for a complicated, dialog heavy, 3 hour biopic about a scientist, and bless Gerwig for making a Barbie movie that is similarly audacious and commercial.

My theater was as packed as it’s been since Endgame, and even with our mild weather the AC was still struggling. My full IMAX showing was a bit warm, but while in the lobby I heard people complaining about the heat in their theaters.

God I hope these successes result in more mid-budget, exciting, bold visions from incredible filmmakers and not just a bunch of disposable toy movies and sub-par biopics.

This has been a fascinating phenomenon to watch spring up so organically. What might have been either standard counter-programming or Warner Bros spiting Nolan turned out to really boost both movies. And both movies are excellent, so good job all around. 

5 minutes ago, Brick said:

My local theatre apparently had a pink McLaren parked outside, and people cosplaying as Barbie going to see the movie. 

i would say most of the people in my theatre were dressed in pink. the lobby was nuts. pink outfits everywhere 

3 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

you might have meant it as a joke, but seriously...it beat out Mission Impossible this weekend!

They gotta run this in Italy and buy out movie theaters there to get that worldwide $$$ going to really compete 

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

They gotta run this in Italy and buy out movie theaters there to get that worldwide $$$ going to really compete 

it's never going to match the big boys, but it sure as hell is blowing way beyond expectations. I've always enjoyed Caviezel's work so I'd like to see it eventually 

23 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

it's never going to match the big boys, but it sure as hell is blowing way beyond expectations. I've always enjoyed Caviezel's work so I'd like to see it eventually 

I mean, they can compete as much as they are willing to continue spending on it. 

I feel like every time I saw numbers, they were revised upwards.

Barbie ended up with $162M, Oppie with $82M.

Amazing that Oppenheimer is Nolan's biggest non-Batman film opening. Of the five original films he's made since TDK, I wouldn't have thought the one without action would lead the box office take, especially since "you must see it in IMAX" has basically been Nolan's pitch for all of them.

Of course, Barbie is the real driver here. Everything on the list of biggest domestic openings above it is some kind of franchise something or other. (The possible exception would be the remake of The Lion King). Hell, it's above both Dark Knight movies!

I'm excited by the idea that Nolan will keep getting $100M to do whatever he wants and that hopefully this means that Gerwig will join him in having that kind of freedom.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Littleronin said:

Meanwhile on Fox News...

Fox-News-Panel-Debates-Why-Barbie-Movie-
WWW.MEDIAITE.COM

As conservatives carry on with their outrage over the Barbie movie, Fox News held a fascinating conversation about how the flick is storming the Red states.

Hmmm are they implying wokeness/LGBTQ+ is still living down there and hasn’t been beaten yet?

or

The fucking earth is like lava and I wanna cool off for a few hours and enjoy a movie.

230721-barbie-al-1016-f5acef.jpg
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Despite months of campy promos, Greta Gerwig’s new “Barbie” film starring Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling leans hard on heteronormativity.

But despite rumors, a healthy number of LGBTQ actors, a few coded minor characters and perhaps some wishful thinking, Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie” movie has nothing overtly queer about it. In fact, in the end, the film pushes a surprisingly traditional view of society, in which straight and conventionally attractive men and women (or Barbies and Kens) rule the world.

20 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
230721-barbie-al-1016-f5acef.jpg
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Despite months of campy promos, Greta Gerwig’s new “Barbie” film starring Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling leans hard on heteronormativity.

I saw it with a large group of queer people on Thursday night and we all loved it. I’m sure there are those who have complaints but every queer person I know who has seen it adores it.

It’s an attention-getting headline that makes it sounds like the community at large is disappointed in the movie and that simply isn’t true. But the article itself is at least more nuanced and features this quote which I agree with 100%:

“Barbie is like a drag performance of heterosexuality; it’s so exaggerated that it exemplifies the ways that heterosexuality itself is constructed and performed,” Avila told NBC News ahead of “Barbie” hitting theaters. “I think queer people latch on to that heterosexual image because we can poke fun at it. We can reclaim it and use it in ways that show that heterosexuality is constructed and put into place by forces beyond us — and not universal.”

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

I saw it with a large group of queer people on Thursday night and we all loved it. I’m sure there are those who have complaints but every queer person I know who has seen it adores it.

It’s an attention-getting headline that makes it sounds like the community at large is disappointed in the movie and that simply isn’t true. But the article itself is at least more nuanced and features this quote which I agree with 100%:

the rock'd

• SaysWho? changed the title to BO Report: Barbenheimer are fucking unstoppable -- Barbie $162m, Oppenheimer $82.5m (one of the highest R-rated openings), one of the highest grossing weekends ever

I began to expect pretty big things from Barbie at Cinemacon as I listened to Gerwig describe writing the flick. Never could have predicted this. Even on Thursday, most industry people were hoping for MAYBE 100 million, and it just kept going higher with each time we checked the real sales tracking. For extra info: the vast majority of the industry reports sales data hourly each day, and we can all see each others numbers. The main data firm, Comscore, has a ton of cool tools to show how films are selling regionally, by time of day, by demographic info.

And Oppenheimer doing 80+ as "guys in rooms talking" movie at THREE ACTUAL HOURS LONG and an R rating is equally impressive to me.

What a great weekend for an industry that has had so many fits and starts over the last two years in re-establishing "normal". In turns out that when Hollywood makes great films, markets them well, people still show up in droves. WHO COULD HAVE GUESSED!?!?!?

Also, I continue to be floored by how many people keep coming to see Sound of Freedom at my indoor theater. That movie is incredibly cheap for us to play, and we keep packing crowds in for it :dancing:

Last summer I had a regular bit in my standup routine where I would mention the upcoming Barbie movie and whenever I did all the women in the audience would cheer loudly. Like, literally every time on stage when I would reference the upcoming movie it would get the same, strong reaction. That's when I knew this movie was gonna be a phenomenon, and this was over a year ago. The hype for the movie only continued to build as it got closer to release.

• True 1
  • Hype 1

haunted-2.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1
VARIETY.COM

Disney's new "Haunted Mansion" earned $9.9 million on its opening day, as "Barbie" and "Oppenheimer" look to stay strong at the top of the box office.

Phew!

42% drop for Barbie. 44% for Oppenheimer. Both great holds.

Oppenheimer becomes the first R-rated movie to gross $10 million for 7 days in a row. Barbie will likely become the second highest grossing movie of the year by next week, below only Mario (for now possibly).

Also, most movies that gross above $150m have a 50% drop or larger in their second weekend. 42% is unreal and gives it a spectacular $93m.