Update (03/15): PS5 Pro specs leaked to Insider Gaming, Holiday 2024 release likely

Brian

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

but can it run ff16 at a locked 60fps?

I don’t think it’s likely. If SE could have had the performance mode scale internal res lower to actually hit 60fps I think they would have, I’m guessing it’s a cpu bottleneck with the game. Last gen the cpu was barely touched in the mid gen refreshes and I imagine it’ll be the same this gen.

It should be able to play the fidelity mode at the same rate as the performance mode, for whatever that is worth. Maybe enough of a cpu boost to get performance mode to look decent on a vrr display though.

If this is accurate it’s a near 2x performance bump on the gpu, so I’d expect games with 60fps modes to be able to run the fidelity modes at 60fps. Some games that are gpu constrained and otherwise 30fps could also potentially then run at 60fps on the pro as well.

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

"An iterative step" -raves IGN

"This box is faster by some amount" - Polygon

"Now with different chips" - Gamespot

"Twitter users furious after ps5 reveal in light of poor economic conditions in south east Malaysia" - Kotaku

ftfy

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

other than the obvious reason...why is this even needed?

Improved manufacturing process that allows them to sell a new system for $200 more that is more powerful but costs them less to make than the original did is probably one reason

• Haha 1

Man it’s just unreal how bad the takes are on resetera whenever I look at news like this there. It’s really hard to believe a lot of them are real people.

I think some people overthink these things. People feel like they need to think it’s like breaking the rules of science to release an upgraded system after four years but it’ll just be really obvious when it comes out.

You'll have ps5 games running like such and such like they already would have, and then you’ll have ps5 pro running that same game with significantly better IQ and better graphics effects (RT) etc. That is why this will exist, for people who want that. Of which there are many. I don’t see why any mental gymnastics are needed to understand the point.

• True 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

"Review: An iterative step" -raves IGN

"Review: This box is faster by some amount" - Polygon

"Review: Now with different chips" - Gamespot

"News: Have you heard? Sony announces a newer PS5" - Slowtaku

FTFY ;) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I feel like Sony will have to work pretty hard to sell me on upgrading, and I'm dubious that a mid gen refresh will prove worthwhile.

I dunno. I'm a sucker for this shit. I'll probably have it within 3-6 months of launch after a short time of resisting :p 

• Haha 2

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Nothing about these proposed tech specs is so outlandish as to immediately be written off as "not real".

Of course, those specs being so reasonable could also mean that some modestly knowledge person has pulled them from the ether or their nethers! :lol:

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I feel like Sony will have to work pretty hard to sell me on upgrading, and I'm dubious that a mid gen refresh will prove worthwhile.

I didn’t even upgrade my PlayStation 4, which needed an upgrade much more than the PlayStation 5 does.

But for newcomers, I’m sure it’ll be worth it. I’m curious about the slim, though!

33 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I didn’t even upgrade my PlayStation 4, which needed an upgrade much more than the PlayStation 5 does.

But for newcomers, I’m sure it’ll be worth it. I’m curious about the slim, though!

I’m not sure if I’d agree ps4 needed it more. PS4 mostly hit the 1080p resolution standard of time and the ps4 pro slightly addressed the emerging and now standard 4k resolution.

Now 4k is the standard tv resolution and ps5 is miles from hitting that as standard. It’s harder to apples to apples because of improved scaling technologies but this 900p upscaled via fsr2 goodness on display now is definitely further from actual 4k than even 900p was to 1080p.

Most games probably run with an IQ more equivalent to 1440p than 4k, and that’s going to become a very generous assessment soon I believe. Not to mention how one of the core technology improvements of this gen, RT, runs quite poorly and often needs to be skipped. It’s like if PBR had to be limited on ps4 or something.

And now the emerging video resolution will be 8k, and since at best even with double the CU, this will finally be doing 4k, it would be like it the Pro came out to finally hit 1080p instead of 1440p.

Also the ps4 update needed, it never got, a better cpu. Since this gen does have much better cpus in comparison to last, they will actually get more out of a gpu boost this gen imo as well.

A lot of power is also needed to give a good 90fps at the psvr2’s native res to best take advantage of that which equals the need for ps4 pro for psvr as well. 

Just now, Ominous said:

AMD needs to actually improve their chips before a Pro or anything like that comes out. Faster versions of their lack luster chips isn't moving the needle. 

If this is all they can do right now at least it will allow it to use fsr2 hopefully at quality mode where it’s not TOO bad instead of at like ultra performance mode where it’s quite terrible. 

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

If this is all they can do right now at least it will allow it to use fsr2 hopefully at quality mode where it’s not TOO bad instead of at like ultra performance mode where it’s quite terrible. 

Sony and MS need to stick to one console per generation. I can't imagine trying to develop a game around 4 current gen specs for just two platforms. 

• 7 months later...
INSIDER-GAMING.COM

The leaked PS5 Pro specs leaked earlier today are real and the PlayStation 5 is still tentatively targeting a 2025 holiday release.

In early 2023, I reported via Key to Gaming that the PS5 Pro is under the codename ‘Trinity’ and will be targeting improved and consistent FPS at 4K resolution, a new ‘performance mode’ for 8K resolution, and accelerated ray tracing. In addition, it was reported that Trinity will have 30 WGP and 18000mts memory.

Today’s leaked documents also confirmed:

• Rendering 45% faster than PS5
  • 2-3x Ray-tracing (x4 in some cases)
  • 33.5 Teraflops
  • PSSR (PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution Upscaling) upscaling/antialiasing solution
  • Support for resolutions up to 8K is planned for future SDK version
  • Custom machine learning architecture
  • AI Accelerator, supporting 300 TOPS of 8 bit computation / 67 TFLOPS of 16-bit floating point