Cormac McCarthy departs from this world of superflous punctuation at age 89

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Cormac McCarthy departs from this world of superflous punctuation at age 89

RIP.  Blood Meridian remains the most indelible and resonant novel I've experienced.  I've read it three times and I find it more fascinating and brilliant as time wears on.  I hope they never attempt a film version; its abstraction is what makes it so powerful, and it's almost like McCarthy was channeling some cosmic truth known only to him.

3 hours ago, ShreddieMercury said:

RIP.  Blood Meridian remains the most indelible and resonant novel I've experienced.  I've read it three times and I find it more fascinating and brilliant as time wears on.  I hope they never attempt a film version; its abstraction is what makes it so powerful, and it's almost like McCarthy was channeling some cosmic truth known only to him.

It's already confirmed it's being made, directed by John Hillcoat (The Proposition, The Road). Cormac McCarthy was going to write and produce, and Hillcoat is probably one of the few directors who can pull it off. 

On 6/13/2023 at 7:25 PM, Greatoneshere said:

It's already confirmed it's being made, directed by John Hillcoat (The Proposition, The Road). Cormac McCarthy was going to write and produce, and Hillcoat is probably one of the few directors who can pull it off. 

I'll believe it when I see it.  Hillcoat is a solid choice, but they've tried for decades to get a film version of the story off the ground to no avail.  From my understanding, it's been very close multiple times.  I know that the difference now is that McCarthy was working on a script, but who knows how much was complete or what stage it was at when he passed.

• True 1

11 hours ago, ShreddieMercury said:

I'll believe it when I see it.  Hillcoat is a solid choice, but they've tried for decades to get a film version of the story off the ground to no avail.  From my understanding, it's been very close multiple times.  I know that the difference now is that McCarthy was working on a script, but who knows how much was complete or what stage it was at when he passed.

It's true, and with his death that may either embolden Hillcoat to make sure the film is made or it may stop it altogether given the writers' strike but this is the closest I've ever seen it to officially getting made. I mean McCarthy's son is executive producing.

• Like 1