The Boy and the Heron - Hayao Miyazaki’s final(?) film, is now in theaters for your subbed or dubbed viewing pleasure

5 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I thought he had a final film years ago.

He did, but then he agreed to make that Boro the Caterpillar short film for the Ghibli Museum. One thing lead to another and it seems working on Boro proved he still has another film in him as long as he could take it slow. This newest film had been in production for like, what? Six, seven years?

• True 1

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Hayao Miyazaki has announced his retirement after every film (more or less) since Princess Mononoke came out in 1997. This time it's probably for real though.

It's the film equivalent of the Final Fantasy series.

• True 1

32 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

He did, but then he agreed to make that Boro the Caterpillar short film for the Ghibli Museum. One thing lead to another and it seems waiting on Boro priced he still has another film in him as long as he could take it slow. This newest film had been in production for like, what? Six, seven years?

Animation work started in earnest in July 2016, so this July will mark seven years. Before that it was 5 years between Ponyo and The Wind Rises. 4 years between Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo. And 3 years between Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle (though it was 4 years between Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away). Hayao Miyazaki is 82 years old currently, so understandably slowing down.

• 2 months later...
  • TheLeon changed the title to “How Do You Live?” Hayao Miyazaki’s final film, will have a new name and some marketing for its international release
11 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

His run of Mononoke to Spirited Away to Howl’s is untouchable imo. No one will ever have a run like that. 

I really like Ponyo, but even then, Miyazaki's streak starts way earlier than Mononoke. Just running backward, none of these movies aren't brilliant. Porco Rosso, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Castle of Cagliostro.

The Wind Rises isn't even a bad movie. I think there are some missteps. Where Ponyo's biggest issue is pacing with a shorter runtime; The Wind Rises runs a little too long and feels a tad bit indulgent. That doesn't even touch upon his, let's say, unique choices in the sound department. I think the film would have been better served with a tighter goal and a more conventional soundtrack. Still doesn't make it not good. I'd say it's quite good, just shy of his normal great or amazing or whatever superlative you want to throw his way.

40+ years of no real misses is a feat.

• True 1

On 6/6/2023 at 9:05 AM, Greatoneshere said:

Hayao Miyazaki has announced his retirement after every film (more or less) since Princess Mononoke came out in 1997. This time it's probably for real though.

WWW.CBC.CA

On a TIFF red carpet for The Boy and the Heron, Studio Ghibli executive Junichi Nishioka told CBC's Eli Glasner that animation legend Hayao Miyazaki is still hard at work.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, stepee said:

WWW.CBC.CA

On a TIFF red carpet for The Boy and the Heron, Studio Ghibli executive Junichi Nishioka told CBC's Eli Glasner that animation legend Hayao Miyazaki is still hard at work.

Yeah I saw this and was like: "well, he wants to die while drawing, hunched over his desk, so give him his wish". Which means he'll die in the middle of a project someday. It could be this upcoming one. 

• TheLeon changed the title to “How Do You Live?” Hayao Miyazaki’s final(?) film, will have a new name and some marketing for its international release
  • 2 weeks later...

With Miyazaki coming back for at least one more movie, it looks like Studio Ghibli has managed to secure some money to advertise his next film...

WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

Succession worries had been a priority at Ghibli, as Miyazaki has turned 82.

...by selling a controlling stake of the studio to Nippon TV. Honestly, this is probably a good idea. Studio Ghibli did start out strong after going independent some twenty or so years ago, but they clearly started slowing down and then began losing animators to places like Studio Ponoc.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I don't know anything about Ghibli's finances, but they haven't exactly been churning out hits, so it's not surprising that they'd need some cash.

They likely aren't hurting for money and at risk of going bankrupt due to merchandizing and such, but that's not the same as having as steamy income from a regularly flow of new movies. They're privately held, so who knows what their finances actually look like.

On top of any money issues, there was a talent drain from the studio. In 2013 you got the last movies from Takahata, who then died, and Miyazaki, who then retired. The best hope for the studio was Hiromasa Yonebayashi, but he left to form Studio Ponoc when Ghibli starting getting weird without the old guys there to lead them. You started getting CG stuff like Ronja the Robber's Daughter and also Earwig and the Witch.

I really sort of want to blame the people that enabled Goro Miyazaki with Tales from Earthsea. Miyazaki was right when he thought his son shouldn't be directing a film because Tales from Earthsea is not good. Then Miyazaki holds his hand through From Up on Poppy Hill and that's pretty good. Take the training wheels off, though, and you get Earwig and the Witch...which is also not very good.

Meanwhile, Yonebayashi's Arrietty and When Marnie was There are both great. Hell, even Mary and the Witch's Flower from Studio Ponoc is pretty good. Studio Ghibli really should have been doing everything they could to make him happy and not think keeping the name Miyazaki on the billboard would lead to success. Nepotism is a bitch, especially when legendary dad very specifically wanted to focus on talent over family. For anyone that isn't aware of the drama, here's a quote from Miyazaki's son...

"Shortly after I started making my first film, I had a huge fight with my father. For a long time we didn’t talk. He was opposed to the idea of me directing a film. He felt that it would be ridiculous for somebody with no experience to, all of a sudden, go into directing. He would tell me about how much he had to struggle in his days to get to that place where he could have the opportunity... Having my (now four-year old) son -- his grandson -- allowed us to start talking again."

All of this happened at the same time Studio Ghibli went independent, so they were bound to head for a downward spiral once strong personalities and immense talents like Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata were out of the picture.

• True 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

With animation it doesn't really matter, why would it thus be for lunatics?

There is nothing more off-putting than a bored white boy voice coming out of a Japanese character named Musashi Miyamoto calling someone Hattorisan or ojisan in a Japanese setting. Possible exceptions are if they are directed by the original director (kind of like Belle) or in a non Japanese setting (something like Genshin or Nikke but these are Korean or Chinese anyway plus they are games) but even then it's not guaranteed (like Gurren Lagann stick to the Japanese). There's nothing that sucks me out of a movie / show more than an English dub. Terrrible and people who listen to them are bad people.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There is nothing more off-putting than a bored white boy voice coming out of a Japanese character named Musashi Miyamoto calling someone Hattorisan or ojisan in a Japanese setting. Possible exceptions are if they are directed by the original director (kind of like Belle) or in a non Japanese setting (something like Genshin or Nikke but these are Korean or Chinese anyway plus they are games) but even then it's not guaranteed (like Gurren Lagann stick to the Japanese). There's nothing that sucks me out of a movie / show more than an English dub. Terrrible and people who listen to them are bad people.

Yeah except Japanese voice actors typically play roles with a lot less nuance and a lot more stereotypical Japanese tropes. I 100% disagree. Japanese voice acting is very hammy whereas "Western" voice acting provides a lot more nuance. It's the same reason "Western" RPG's are written with a significant more amount of nuance than trope-y JRPG's. That you think Japanese voice actors bring more nuance rather than less to their roles is crazy to me since when I listen to a sub in anime it's so overtly aggressive in every role it's hard to take it seriously. 

Now, that doesn't mean dubs are always good. I've suffered a lot of bad dubs. But to suggest sub > dub every time is nonsense. And most anime doesn't take place in a clear "Japanese" setting so that's irrelevant except in an exception of cases. I've been watching anime for 20+ years and I've watched a lot of dubs and subs (as I'm sure you have) but no way is the Japanese sub always better.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah except Japanese voice actors typically play roles with a lot less nuance and a lot more stereotypical Japanese tropes. I 100% disagree. Japanese voice acting is very hammy whereas "Western" voice acting provides a lot more nuance. It's the same reason "Western" RPG's are written with a significant more amount of nuance than trope-y JRPG's. That you think Japanese voice actors bring more nuance rather than less to their roles is crazy to me since when I listen to a sub in anime it's so overtly aggressive in every role it's hard to take it seriously.

So really what you are saying is you don't like Japanese acting. What you're saying is part of the appeal. It's supposed to be dramatic and over the top. Western voices don't bring any nuance they are just reading their lines like a confused person with no attempt to capture the spirit of the original actor or character.

Western RPGs are written like typical western media, they're acted like someone would if you went to go see a Michael Bay movie but this has nothing to do with anything. I've never heard a Japanese dub of a western rpg but I'm sure it would be interesting. Nowhere did I say Japanese actors were nuanced I just prefer their performance and feel like it fits the roles better than some celebrity voice.

Now, that doesn't mean dubs are always good. I've suffered a lot of bad dubs. But to suggest sub > dub every time is nonsense.

What's nonsense is to suggest the opposite. You are correct Sub > dub every time. There are a lot of bad dubs you are correct. But that doesn't mean dubs are always bad. Most are middling or boring.

And most anime doesn't take place in a clear "Japanese" setting so that's irrelevant except in an exception of cases.

Not always a Japanese setting but a lot of them have Japanese names even if they aren't in a Japanese setting which is enough to tip the scales. I will also add a wrinkle to the mix. Some anime tropes and what an anime character say sound alright in Japanese but are offputting to hear an English person say. Something like, "I will draw the soma from Gilgrumesh and extract the ultimate pleasure from your nipples" gets a pass from a Japanese VO because they can make it sound cool but if Brad Pitt is saying it then it sounds a bit cringe, and they won't say it in a way that works either.

I've been watching anime for 20+ years and I've watched a lot of dubs and subs (as I'm sure you have)

Same

but no way is the Japanese sub always better.

:Wrong:

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There is nothing more off-putting than a bored white boy voice coming out of a Japanese character named Musashi Miyamoto calling someone Hattorisan or ojisan in a Japanese setting

Well sure if it's a shitty performance of course that's going to be off-putting, and it probably is better to watch with subtitles, but if we're talking equally good performances from the original cast and the dubbing cast, then yeah I'd rather watch the animation/video game/whatever with English speaking actors, especially if there's no lip syncing issues like you would get in live action (as well as the live actions actor using more than just their voice for their performance, which can't be recreated by a dub). There may be some exceptions of course (for example I played Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood in Italian because I figured it would be more immersive, and while I haven't played Unity yet I plan to play it in French because I remember not liking how the English speaking cast all had British accents instead of French accents for some unexplained reason, even though the English speaking cast of the Ezio trilogy all performed with Italian accents (or their attempts at one lol)). Doesn't matter if the original animation is Japanese, French, Dutch, German, or whatever, I'll watch it with English dubs because to me it really isn't noticeable like it is in live action. The only issue that can sometimes be a problem is animation is done after the voice acting is done, so for dubs they do sometimes have to time their lines to match up with the original animation.

Also, I'm sorry but I find a lot of Japanese voice acting, especially female characters, to be rather grating.

• Halal 1

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So really what you are saying is you don't like Japanese acting. What you're saying is part of the appeal. It's supposed to be dramatic and over the top. Western voices don't bring any nuance they are just reading their lines like a confused person with no attempt to capture the spirit of the original actor or character.

Yes, I am saying that many Japanese voice actors ham it up and do things over the top - which is fine when it's called for - but they do it in a bad way. Additionally, "western" voices? What about Arabic dubs, Portuguese dubs, etc.? I listen to English dubs, obviously, but international anime fandom has mentioned many great international dubs over the years. You sound like someone who hasn't listened to a lot of dubs. One obvious, old example is Cowboy Bebop, which is easily better in dub than sub, it's not just actors reading lines - there's better chemistry with the cast and the translation is a better script than the literal Japanese one. 

Western RPGs are written like typical western media, they're acted like someone would if you went to go see a Michael Bay movie but this has nothing to do with anything. I've never heard a Japanese dub of a western rpg but I'm sure it would be interesting. Nowhere did I say Japanese actors were nuanced I just prefer their performance and feel like it fits the roles better than some celebrity voice.

Celebrity voices? Most anime dubs don't have celebrity English VA's, just regular working folks in the industry, and they're good at what they do.

What's nonsense is to suggest the opposite. You are correct Sub > dub every time. There are a lot of bad dubs you are correct. But that doesn't mean dubs are always bad. Most are middling or boring.

I didn't suggest the opposite. You're the one saying no dub is ever better than the sub, regardless of which language the dub is in, which is crazy talk. Never ever? Okay.

Not always a Japanese setting but a lot of them have Japanese names even if they aren't in a Japanese setting which is enough to tip the scales. I will also add a wrinkle to the mix. Some anime tropes and what an anime character say sound alright in Japanese but are offputting to hear an English person say. Something like, "I will draw the soma from Gilgrumesh and extract the ultimate pleasure from your nipples" gets a pass from a Japanese VO because they can make it sound cool but if Brad Pitt is saying it then it sounds a bit cringe, and they won't say it in a way that works either

Not sure why you're stuck on celebrity voices and the stuff they say in Japanese, like your example, sound the same to me in both languages. You come off as extremely biased and stubborn on this topic.

10 hours ago, Brick said:

Also, I'm sorry but I find a lot of Japanese voice acting, especially female characters, to be rather grating.

My two younger brothers hardly ever watch subs because they cannot stand this - it's definitely a thing. It literally grates on the ears sometimes. Shouting your lines is not good acting.