The Boy and the Heron - Hayao Miyazaki’s final(?) film, is now in theaters for your subbed or dubbed viewing pleasure

46 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

My two younger brothers hardly ever watch subs because they cannot stand this - it's definitely a thing. It literally grates on the ears sometimes. Shouting your lines is not good acting.

I'm sure it's a cultural thing, so in Japan they are probably regarded as good actors, but as an English speaker I just don't like the over the top, high pitched, little girl sounding, whining from many of the female characters, especially when I don't know what they're saying without subtitles. It can also sound vaguely sexual at times, which can be very disturbing as well. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Brick said:

I'm sure it's a cultural thing, so in Japan they are probably regarded as good actors, but as an English speaker I just don't like the over the top, high pitched, little girl sounding, whining from many of the female characters, especially when I don't know what they're saying without subtitles. It can also sound vaguely sexual at times, which can be very disturbing as well. 

It's definitely due to a difference in culture for sure. And it's not all the time, it's dependent on the kind of character. For instance, Robin in One Piece (a show I watch subbed) sounds like a perfectly normal young 20-something woman. Nami, on the other hand, whenever she's scared or freaking out or exasperated raises her tone and pitch so fucking high and speaking at such a fast speed that it becomes incredibly annoying.

• 1 month later...
  • TheLeon changed the title to The Boy and the Heron - Hayao Miyazaki’s final(?) film, is now in theaters for your subbed or dubbed viewing pleasure

I don't have a hard and fast rule about subs or dubs, I can enjoy either if they're well done. The dub here is very well done.

The film is classic Miyazaki. Whimsical, inexplicable, magical, confounding, touching. I don't think it's his best, but it's a fitting finale for a legend.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I don't have a hard and fast rule about subs or dubs, I can enjoy either if they're well done. The dub here is very well done.

The film is classic Miyazaki. Whimsical, inexplicable, magical, confounding, touching. I don't think it's his best, but it's a fitting finale for a legend.

He's already thinking about his next movie so as always "finale" may be premature. He'll probably die in the middle of making one of these.

WWW.IGN.COM

The Boy and The Hero may not be Miyazaki's final film after all, as Studio Ghibli confirms he's already "obsessed" with his next movie.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I’m alone in this opinion, but I really wasn’t impressed with this one. Confusing overloaded plot that was borderline nonsensical. Zero relatable characters. Everything felt random and it felt like the rules of the world were just being invented on the fly as it went along.

The whole movie kind of felt like at any moment a character would pull out a piece of pie and say… this is magic pie and if you rub it on your back during a full moon you get to make 2 wishes but they can’t effect anyone who has touched a sacred tea cup and you only have 30 seconds and you have to speak your wish with your eyes closed and standing on one leg, or oh no, you did it wrong and now you’ve angered this new character we met 2 minutes ago and now the entire world is unraveling unless you can put this ancient marble that we’ve never talked about into the eye socket of a giant monkey statue… but wait, you have a special feather that stops the danger and also, this is your mom or maybe not or maybe it is, or not… or it’s this other lady who we confusingly also call your mom and uh, sure man… 

It was beautiful and very nice to look at… I liked the first 45 minutes or so but then it all unraveled fast. Definitely my least favorite Miyazaki movie and I’m a huge fan…

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ort said:

Maybe I’m alone in this opinion, but I really wasn’t impressed with this one. Confusing overloaded plot that was borderline nonsensical. Zero relatable characters. Everything felt random and it felt like the rules of the world were just being invented on the fly as it went along.

It was beautiful and very nice to look at… I liked the first 45 minutes or so but then it all unraveled fast. Definitely my least favorite Miyazaki movie and I’m a huge fan…

That doesn't sound all that dissimilar to Howl's Moving Castle, which I did not like much on a first viewing because the rules of magic in the film just seemed random and made up on the fly. On subsequent viewings, letting that go, I have found I like the film a lot more than I originally did. Is this like that or far worse? If you had to rank and score all of the Miyazaki-directed films you've seen, what would that look like? That might give me a better sense of what to expect.

Well, I agree about Howls moving castle… which is the only other Miyazaki movie I don’t really like much. But… I like Howls Moving Castle much more than The Boy who does Heroin. I’ve seen most of these movies 5-10 times. When my kids were younger they were in heavy rotation.  I’ve seen Howls about 3 or 4 times. I don’t hate it, but it (was) my least favorite by far.

My tiers for Miyazaki movies are… 

S Tier: Totoro, Mononoke, Spirited Away, Kiki

A tier: Castle in the Sky, Nausicca

B tier ( still great): Ponyo, Porco Rosso (have only seen once and a long time ago, but it didn’t really stick with me)

C tier: Howls Moving Castle, Boy and Heron

(I have not seen the Wind Also Rises)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ort said:

Well, I agree about Howls moving castle… which is the only other Miyazaki movie I don’t really like much. But… I like Howls Moving Castle much more than The Boy who does Heroin. I’ve seen most of these movies 5-10 times. When my kids were younger they were in heavy rotation.  I’ve seen Howls about 3 or 4 times. I don’t hate it, but it (was) my least favorite by far.

My tiers for Miyazaki movies are… 

S Tier: Totoro, Mononoke, Spirited Away, Kiki

A tier: Castle in the Sky, Nausicca

B tier ( still great): Ponyo, Porco Rosso (have only seen once and a long time ago, but it didn’t really stick with me)

C tier: Howls Moving Castle, Boy and Heron

(I have not seen the Wind Also Rises)

Thanks! That gives me more perspective - Ponyo and The Wind Rises are the two "worst" Miyazaki films for me, so putting Ponyo above Howl's means maybe the magic thing is more of a bridge too far for you than it may be for me (Ponyo was childish and boring to me, for comparison's sake). Also I highly suggest re-watching Porco Rosso, it only gets better as you get older, I think.

Ponyo is kind of a mess, but my kids were super into it and it was an important movie around my house for a few years so it will always hold a special place for me.

I like Howls much more than Boy and the Heron. I’m not trying to shit in anyone’s fruit loops, people like what they like.

• Halal 1