Ok...the dust has settled. Which is better?

best3444

Which is better?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Dust has settled. Which is the overall better game?

45 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Uh... what? In my experience, the game only got easier and easier. You just get more hearts, more stamina, stronger weapons and more contraptions to lay waste to the enemies. They do scale up a bit like they did in BotW, but I had them at silver rank in my first few hours (which is their max rank) so I continued to get more powerful while they stayed silver.

By the way, if you don't know, the game works on a hidden experience point system. The more enemies you kill, the stronger enemies appear. Up to silver, like I said. This also levels up the random weapons they'll have and that you find. Since they also drop super strong fuse items (please tell me you're using fuse, you should never ever be fighting with unfused weapons after the first few hours) you quickly overpower them.

That or just build a fuckin' homing canon laser monstrosity that can go kill them all for you! Or use bomb arrows, or chuck bombs if you're out of arrows, make sure to level up your gear ASAP, etc.

Wooden boxes almost always contain arrows, and there are certain areas around the world that always have bundles of 5 or 10 just lying there, such as the balcony facing Lookout Landing in Hyrule Tower.

I didn’t know that about the secret exp system. How do you know when you hit different tiers?

2 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I didn’t know that about the secret exp system. How do you know when you hit different tiers?

If you start seeing different colored enemies than normal, it means you've hit a different tier.

I think it's normal -> blue -> black -> silver

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stepee said:

I definitely was in a place there like I am here at one point but eventually found a groove. Which is why I’m not giving up!

If you find a fairy pond mark it on your map so you can come back and get more when they respawn.

I also mark Ruby/Sapphire/Topaz ore locations, and any tough enemies.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, best3444 said:

Difference is when I say things like stepee I get absolutely trashed on. 

Nobody asked you for your opinion asshole!

🙃😋 

I think how something is worded rubs some people the wrong way but almost everyone here to my knowledge is 30+ years old. Grown ass adults shouldn't be getting upset about video games.

7 hours ago, stepee said:

There are moments where I really like the game. I was quite into it at the start, but I’m at probably (hopefully) a low point of the journey. That point where the challenge has moved up considerably and I need to learn how to scale myself up to it.

I think where I’m at with TOTK might be like the uncanny valley of open game design for me. It’s like I find the combat difficult and/or not fun because every encounter is stacked so the enemy’s have very few disadvantages. Everything is fast and can hit you from far away and will sneak up on you and won’t react much to such and such options. In the end, trying to actually heavy hand you into choosing the one option it actually wants you to use.

I think that may be the thing it’s best at so far, tricking you into thinking you chose this creative option thinking the game is so open when it’s just shutting off enough options to lead you towards that one. Which is probably why I keep reading people gushing about some unique solution to a puzzle and then all the responses are saying they did the same thing.

Not that you can’t get super creative with its tools but it requires a lot of trial and error and the swiftness of death makes me want to engage with it less.

Like just now I’m trying to clear out this camp and I’m running all around trying to stay away from the one hitters using the environment and powers and tools and whatever. Things are going haywire, it’s responding well with explosions and the enemy’s dying. But also it’s taking awhile and I kinda want to just kill shit. As soon as make that choice to engage and actually just fight one of the enemy’s and hit them with a weapon he hits me from half a screen a way with his staff and that’s it start all over again. That sorta thing keeps happening and right I’m just waiting for the scale to tip more in my favor so it’s fun again.

Im only being extra critical because I think it could still be so good and I’m giving it an honest shot after not being impressed with BOTW, but I’m gonna bitch until I get some more power on my side.

I guarantee you there is not one way to do any fight. The more you learn the systems the more you'll learn how many options are there and have been there from the start. And I'm not talking about machines, that's a whole other layer. You may want to start browsing some youtube videos on crazy things you can do in the game. Some of the shit I've watched people do is extremely impressive most definitely will not occur to anyone when they first start. It's a slow burn not only for Link getting his power back, but for you as a player to learn how things work. But the more you learn and the more random things you start doing that succeed, the more fun it gets.

Hope it starts clicking for you soon!

6 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

Nobody asked you for your opinion asshole!

🙃😋 

I think how something is worded rubs some people the wrong way but almost everyone here to my knowledge is 30+ years old. Grown ass adults shouldn't be getting upset about video games.

If I don't understand or like a certain game I can get shit on. I even word things nicely! 😆 

Just now, ShreddieMercury said:

Elden Ring is Dark Souls again.  TOTK is the world's best video game developer arguably at their peak.

I have to admit, you're absolutely correct here. TOTK is the better overall game. It's a monumental achievement. 

The dust is settled and I am still very not ok with how fast the Master Sword breaks after all you have to do to get it. I get that it would be game breaking to not have it last forever. But to have it break after hitting a freaking grunt level brown bokoblin a few times? Yea ok legendary super perfect weapon.

Just now, nublood said:

The dust is settled and I am still very not ok with how fast the Master Sword breaks after all you have to do to get it. I get that it would be game breaking to not have it last forever. But to have it break after hitting a freaking grunt level brown bokoblin a few times? Yea ok legendary super perfect weapon.

Wtf. Was it like that in BOTW?

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Wtf. Was it like that in BOTW?

Well technically it doesn't "break" like other weapons. But yea, it was about the same in BOTW. Wish they would have improved on that because the sword is very satisfying to use. But almost as soon as you start using it the energy depletes. It's just a goofy mechanic imo.

1 hour ago, eventide11 said:

I still have to finish TotK but ER was and is the pinnacle of a sandbox RPG.

I ask politely how the "sandbox" in ER is the pinnacle of an RPG?

TOTK offers so much more in terms of sheer gameplay in a stunning sandbox environment. The amount of things you can do in Zelda is almost limitless in gameplay. 

I originally picked ER In this thread but after beating 3 dungeons today and playing hours on end, TOTK is the better overall videogame. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nublood said:

Well technically it doesn't "break" like other weapons. But yea, it was about the same in BOTW. Wish they would have improved on that because the sword is very satisfying to use. But almost as soon as you start using it the energy depletes. It's just a goofy mechanic imo.

Fuse a silver lynel horn to it and you'll be whooping serious ass before it breaks. It also gets permanent auto crit (double damage) in certain areas or against certain enemies. When it's glowing, it's time to beat some ass.

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

I ask politely how the "sandbox" in ER is the pinnacle of an RPG?

TOTK offers so much more in terms of sheer gameplay in a stunning sandbox environment. The amount of things you can do in Zelda is almost limitless in gameplay. 

I originally picked ER In this thread but after beating 3 dungeons today and playing hours on end, TOTK is the better overall videogame. 

It's just the most satisfying to me and not having to babysit weapons puts it over the top in my opinion. The lore, the world, overcoming the difficulty with weapons that don't break, the Co op.. It just hits more of the things I like in a game that requires my time 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eventide11 said:

But totk is an amazing game. If only the weapon system was re worked.. But I know I'm in the minority 

How far are you? Weapins last a long time with correct fusing and I rarely have any issues with this 50 hours in.