Ok...the dust has settled. Which is better?

best3444

Which is better?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Dust has settled. Which is the overall better game?

I agree about the graphics. I understand the tech we’re dealing with regarding the Switch. But in my opinion, Nintendo is the elephant in the room as far as graphics are concerned. The question is how long you can continue to look past it. Nintendo is far too profitable not to even try their hand at a comparable console to MS and Sony, it’s kinda silly at this point. 

54 minutes ago, nublood said:

I agree about the graphics. I understand the tech we’re dealing with regarding the Switch. But in my opinion, Nintendo is the elephant in the room as far as graphics are concerned. The question is how long you can continue to look past it. Nintendo is far too profitable not to even try their hand at a comparable console to MS and Sony, it’s kinda silly at this point. 

Well let’s see, it’s worked since 1983

Winning Video Game GIF by Lil Yachty

11 hours ago, Biggie said:

It’s up to you 

I'll keep it up since there are a few here who barely scratched the surface in TOTK.

After 4 dungeons down this has surpassed Elden Ring for me. It's one of the most unique and rewarding videogames I think I've ever played. 

• True 1

18 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Combat, exploration, variety of builds, the world itself. Far more epic battles, dungeons to explore everywhere, better world bosses.

I can dig that and totally understand. It's a landmark game for sure.

On 5/31/2023 at 2:24 AM, Air_Delivery said:

There are aspects of the game that look good like the animations and art direction. But that frame rate, aliasing and ground textures are horrid. In fact because some of the game looks really good it really clashes with how bad other aspects look.

xftgde7x0lza1.jpg

Thats some N64 level textures

TOTK is a a technical marvel of the highest order. But that's relative to its ancient hardware that was mediocre when it released :p 

• True 1

The cartoony nature of TotK does wonders in hiding all manner of sins, IMO. If it was attempting to be photorealistic then it would be very obvious how the old hardware can't handle it. But because they went with more stylistic visuals, it's fine 95% of the time, IMO. 

• True 2

12 minutes ago, legend said:

TOTK is a a technical marvel of the highest order. But that's relative to its ancient hardware that was mediocre when it released :p 

On a Zelda reddit that popped up on my feed, someone posted a “which art style do you prefer?” with Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, it was at this moment that I realized BotW/TotK are basically a combination of the two and it’s: Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

On a Zelda reddit that popped up on my feed, someone posted a “which art style do you prefer?” with Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, it was at this moment that I realized BotW/TotK are basically a combination of the two and it’s: Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

Yeah, I'd really prefer Zelda not try to go realistic. Just thinking of the character designs and general art direction for TP; it's all just so much weaker than WW. Even then, both fall far short of BotW and TotK. Just think about the races they introduced. TP gave us the Twili, Oocca, and Yeti? None of which survived past that title. Other than Midna, does anyone want any of them to return? The Oocca are an abomination and I'm sorry I reminded you all that they exist. WW gave us the Korok and Rito, and they're both pretty great and live on. I do hope, going forward, we'll get more Zonai or that the Yiga clan will continue to be a thing.

Oh yeah, and let's not forget BotW and TotK have the greatest of all the great fairies.

I still prefer WW style. Toon Link has always been my favorite and I loved WW from the start, unlike a lot of people. Also helps that I consider it the first real game I beat (It is the first Zelda I beat) so it has always held a special place in my heart. Even if it's actually not the best Zelda, it will pretty much always be #1 for me. Also a big fan of SS's art style. Minish Cap also looked nice.

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I still prefer WW style. Toon Link has always been my favorite and I loved WW from the start, unlike a lot of people. Also helps that I consider it the first real game I beat so it has always held a special place in my heart. Even if it's actually not the best Zelda, it will pretty much always be #1 for me. Also a big fan of SS's art style. Minish Cap also looked nice.

WW was the first Zelda to recapture the feel of the original Zelda on the NES for me. They weren't the same game at all, but it was the first Zelda that felt like an open adventure in the unknown since I first played TLoZ way back in the 80s. No game had managed to recaptured that feel until BotW.

65 hours into TOTK and I can easily say it's better than Elden Ring. The sheer amount of things you can do in the environment and exploration that's interactive puts this on top. The abilities and creativity that comes with it also takes it to number 1.

I still have a long way to go but this is sneaking in my top 10 games of all-time. 

On 6/1/2023 at 5:54 PM, Nokra said:

The cartoony nature of TotK does wonders in hiding all manner of sins, IMO. If it was attempting to be photorealistic then it would be very obvious how the old hardware can't handle it. But because they went with more stylistic visuals, it's fine 95% of the time, IMO. 

I'm going to post this without context, because saying what Switch game its from would actually spoil it. ;)

7Cq15YC.jpg

I remember looking around at the surrounding hills thinking there's some blemishes that kind of made it feel like a dream state approximation.  Trees have obvious sprite layers as well.  But with art direction this good, the Switch is capable enough to pull something realistic off in a way that can still be appreciated.

This is a very selectively produced portion of the game I'm referring to, granted.  Not something as sprawling or interactive as ToTK.  I think that's the bigger problem for Zelda.  Doing too much more than BoTW visually would have limited them.  ToTK already relies on FSR1 to claw back some performance as it is.

9 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Or maybe I should play Dark Souls first?  Demon Souls?

There is absolutely no reason to other than to experience FROM's progression. Apparently, some people find Demon's Souls harder than Elden Ring. Tho, if you are going with no summons/ashes melee build in ER, you may wish to start with those games as melee combat gets harder and faster as the games go on while Elden Ring can be made into the easiest game in FROM's catalog with magic and summons.

I mean, I'd say start with Dark Souls 1 cuz that's just my favorite lol. Dark Souls 1 is the best game they have made IMO.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Regardless, this thread is inspiring me to try Elden Ring after ToTK.  Or maybe I should play Dark Souls first?  Demon Souls?

Absolutely play Elden Ring. It's a complete masterpiece with a great challenge that's doable with enough leveling and character building. The sense of wonder from exploration is just as good if not better than TotK strictly from a technical level.