The 2023 writers strike is officially on. | deal signed 9/26

On 9/18/2023 at 2:48 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Talks are resuming Wednesday

VARIETY.COM

The WGA will restart negotiations with the major studios on Wednesday, after a month-long hiatus in talks.

WWW.CNBC.COM

While optimistic, the people noted, however, that if a deal is not reached the strike could last through the end of the year.

• Sicko 1

I weirdly hate Bill Maher more than Sean Hannity, and that's before the scab stuff. I'm not sure why. Like, we're allegedly on the same side but he's such a fucking piece of shit that I'm like I would rather be in a room with Sean Hannity.

(I do know some of why, it's because he's an ultimate neoliberal fuckstick, because he thinks religions is bad and abortion is good he can say shit like millennials don't want to work and things would be peachy if we all just kept sucking that sweet, sweet, corporate overlord dick.)

He's, like, baaaaaarely more liberal than my dad, and my dad would 100% vote republican if they ran Mitt Romney again.

• Halal 3

Legit scratching my head about how/why Bill, if he had gone back (he rescinded his commitment once the WGA & AMPTP agreed to talk again), how would that be any different than any talking head show on CNN/MSNBC/FOX? He won't have the opening monologue, no bit in the middle, nor any 'New Rules', just a few on stage to discuss politics of the day/week.

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

Legit scratching my head about how/why Bill, if he had gone back (he rescinded his commitment once the WGA & AMPTP agreed to talk again), how would that be any different than any talking head show on CNN/MSNBC/FOX? He won't have the opening monologue, no bit in the middle, nor any 'New Rules', just a few on stage to discuss politics of the day/week.

Because, unlike pundits/journalists, he’s literally changing his show to come back amidst a strike, also, pretty sure he’s SAG.

• Halal 1

11 hours ago, SoberChef said:

It isn’t, really. He was just taking out the monologue. 

I support the writers striking, but I also support the right of Camera men, craft services, makeup artists, assistants, etc to work and earn for their families. I think Mager is 100% right about that, and it is completely ignored amongst all the union stuff.  I think the idea that whole crews have to starve while the strikers collect strike pay (which is insufficient, but better than those who don’t get to work or strike) is going off the deep end. It’s not like the staff on the show are responsible for studios not negotiating. 

should the rest of them unionize? Sure, I think everyone should, but that is historically difficult in America. 

I also don’t irrationally hate Maher, and I think his views are pretty average across most of America, so whatever I guess. 

• Hugs 1

40 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I support the writers striking, but I also support the right of Camera men, craft services, makeup artists, assistants, etc to work and earn for their families. I think Mager is 100% right about that, and it is completely ignored amongst all the union stuff.  I think the idea that whole crews have to starve while the strikers collect strike pay (which is insufficient, but better than those who don’t get to work or strike) is going off the deep end. It’s not like the staff on the show are responsible for studios not negotiating. 

should the rest of them unionize? Sure, I think everyone should, but that is historically difficult in America. 

I also don’t irrationally hate Maher, and I think his views are pretty average across most of America, so whatever I guess. 

Yes, it sucks, but what's your alternative? What's your alternative when teachers strike, and now parents need to hire babysitters? What's your alternative when steel factory workers strike, and now ball bearing and girder companies don't have materials to keep operating? The point of strikes is to put pressure on companies (and other related companies and society in general!) to force capitulation. There's a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very easy solution here, and it's for employers to pay good wages and provide good work conditions to avoid strikes. The responsibility for strikes is not on workers, it's on companies.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 2

On 9/21/2023 at 2:38 PM, BloodyHell said:

should the rest of them unionize?

Should the rest of WHO unionize? Most of the crew members that Maher is capeing for are members of their OWN unions. Maher is full of shit and has been for a long time. He wasn't thinking about his crew or anyone else... he was thinking about himself. Fuck him. 

• Like 1
  • True 2

• Jason changed the title to The 2023 writers strike is officially on. | tenative deal reached 9/24
On 9/21/2023 at 2:38 PM, BloodyHell said:

Cross my strike line, be a pity if something happened to your vehicle. Claiming to be pro union while repeating pro strike breaking language, go bitch about Biden not being pro labor enough after this.

Also Maher hasn’t been on our side in years, fuck him.

• Halal 1

On 9/25/2023 at 3:20 AM, Spork3245 said:

What about the SAG strike? I haven’t been following closely 

SAG is still on strike and haven't had any talks with the producers in weeks. Just yesterday they authorized to strike against videogame companies as well. The studios strategy was always to get the writers dealt with first then negotiate with the actors. They are under similar deadlines with actors as well... not only can nothing gp into production without them, Actors can't promote any of these big holliday movies coming out while they're on strike.

• Jason changed the title to The 2023 writers strike is officially on. | deal signed 9/26

It's interesting that the Director's Guild of America was able to sign a new labor contract with the AMPTP while the WGA were striking without really needing to take a lot of time or strike much themselves back in June, but the writers and actors' guilds by comparison are taking 130+ days. All three guilds are presumably dealing with the same issues in regards to streaming royalties and residuals as well as bigger writers' rooms and AI concerns yet they didn't deal with much. I wonder why the distinction between the DGA vs. the WGA + SAG. Does the DGA have more cache with the AMPTP than the WGA or SAG? Perhaps they simply weren't as concerned with the aforementioned things as much as writers and actors maybe.

17 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's interesting that the Director's Guild of America was able to sign a new labor contract with the AMPTP while the WGA were striking without really needing to take a lot of time or strike much themselves back in June, but the writers and actors' guilds by comparison are taking 130+ days. All three guilds are presumably dealing with the same issues in regards to streaming royalties and residuals as well as bigger writers' rooms and AI concerns yet they didn't deal with much. I wonder why the distinction between the DGA vs. the WGA + SAG. Does the DGA have more cache with the AMPTP than the WGA or SAG? Perhaps they simply weren't as concerned with the aforementioned things as much as writers and actors maybe.

I remember seeing a comment a while back that it's basically that the DGA has a heavy old rich white guys tilt so they're more or less on the same page as AMPTP execs. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

I remember seeing a comment a while back that it's basically that the DGA has a heavy old rich white guys tilt so they're more or less on the same page as AMPTP execs. 

Makes sense, but don't they have the same fears in terms of payment and contracts as SAG and WGA? It's the same issues, not sure why they'd be on the same page as the AMPTP given they are just as susceptible?

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I wrote that comment because that's EXACTLY what a friend of mine who is a member of the DGA told me. Also you have to remember... MOST actors and writers in the guilds are making less money and have far less clout than the average member of the DGA who often times is ALSO a member of the producers guild as well. It's as simple as this... most Directors are Managment and most wrtiters, Actors, Editors, D.P.'S and everyone else arent/

58 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Makes sense, but don't they have the same fears in terms of payment and contracts as SAG and WGA? It's the same issues, not sure why they'd be on the same page as the AMPTP given they are just as susceptible?

because they aren't. A.I. isn't going to direct a movie. A lot of directors are basically managers. Their department heads handle a lot of the creative decisions... they are there to keep everything moving along for the studio. Mind you I'm talking about the average director for hire that studios emply and not autuers like Nolan, Cameron or Tarantino who handle multiple creative roles and decisions in their films.

• True 1
  • Halal 2

21 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I wrote that comment because that's EXACTLY what a friend of mine who is a member of the DGA told me. Also you have to remember... MOST actors and writers in the guilds are making less money and have far less clout than the average member of the DGA who often times is ALSO a member of the producers guild as well. It's as simple as this... most Directors are Managment and most wrtiters, Actors, Editors, D.P.'S and everyone else arent/

Ah yeah, it's been a while so couldn't remember if I'd seen it here or from one of the various writers I follow on Twitter.