The 2023 writers strike is officially on. | deal signed 9/26

• Jason changed the title to The 2023 writers strike is officially on.
5 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

I'm curious, with the late night shows being paused until the strike lifts, what about WWE/AEW - or are those writers not in the guild?

I think there are multiple guilds. The last big strike did not affect WWE nor did it affect a handful of shows that had writers who were in a different guild/union (House and a few others kept going while most others ended their seasons early back in 2008-ish).

• Hugs 1

3 hours ago, SoberChef said:

I'm curious, with the late night shows being paused until the strike lifts, what about WWE/AEW - or are those writers not in the guild?

Does AEW even use writers? I thought they used Bookers, the way WWE and every other wrestling company used to? 

It didn't affect WWE last time, but it might this time as I do believe they use guild writers nowaadays. Maybe they'll go back to Bookers? Be nice if they went back to that, and calling matches in the ring. I started watching a very little bit lately, and WWE matches seem way, way over produced. You can tell every move is planned, they aren't working around the crowds reaction, and a lot of it looks awful. 

Also, can we stop this awful spot where everyone outside the ring and bunches up, arms out, to catch the wrestler being thrown at them and fall gently? It looks absolutely awful. If you can't do the spot with a single wrestler, don't use a group to make it look awful. Sorry for the rant, but it annoys me. I'd also be good with getting rid of the constant low impact acrobatic stuff I see a lot of the time too. I'll never understand the draw of Kenny Omega and few others. 

And jesus, somebody tell Chris Jericho his current gimmick is awful. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

From your perspective, which side is more likely to concede first?

Hard to tell, but probably The Studio. Movie going is starting to come back and streaming is in a weird position of consolidation. The studios need content and they can't afford a strike right now and the guild knows it. Some friends of mine are in production on a TV show set to premiere on MGM+ next year and they are in the middle of their writers room. They are supposed to start shooting this month so I don't know how this affects them... most of the scripts for the show are done and all that's left is to shoot and edit. When I asked my buddy how a potential strike would affect them he said that he honestly didn't know. Nobody seems too stressed about it because no one thinks it's gonna last too long.

• Sad 1
  • Halal 1

wga.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

A clearer picture of how far apart the writers and studios were from a deal has emerged after talks between the WGA and AMPTP broke down, leading to a strike starting on Tuesday. The WGA said its p…

I know "Mini-rooms" has been a recent practice that studios have started that writers particularly hate.

From reading a few articles and have some conversations at Cinemacon, it’s seems a huge piece of the puzzle (the mini-room issue Skillz mentioned) is the much shorter episode counts for most shows these days, particularly on streaming services. It has allowed the studios to really manipulate a lot of the terms of previous agreements that simply weren’t crafted around the notion of 8-10 episode seasons as the standard, but the more traditional 22-24 we all grew up with.

Being involved with a lot of these companies myself, I see directly they way they take advantage of the times changing, so no surprise at all what they are doing to writers.

15 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This strike ain't gonna last long.

Well the last one was like 3 months but impacted The Office, Prison Break, Lost, Scrubs, 24, Chuck, and a ton of other shows. Oh and the late night people were not on TV for a while either but no loss there. 

22 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Well the last one was like 3 months but impacted The Office, Prison Break, Lost, Scrubs, 24, Chuck, and a ton of other shows. Oh and the late night people were not on TV for a while either but no loss there. 

I don't think this is gonna go that long but who knows?

1 hour ago, Ominous said:

Don't forget Quantum of Solace.

• True 1

57 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I hope things are solved soon, but at least we got this gem from the last strike

Plus I loved the time Conan just took random audience members for a tour of NBC’S Rockefeller Center because nothing funny was written. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Ominous said:

How did it affect Chuck? I mean, I know it affected everything, but I don’t remember Chuck getting bad until the awful last season, which was well after the strike.

Zackary Levi actually recently said that the studio was actually finally possibly looking to do the chuck movie.

6 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

How did it affect Chuck? I mean, I know it affected everything, but I don’t remember Chuck getting bad until the awful last season, which was well after the strike.

Zackary Levi actually recently said that the studio was actually finally possibly looking to do the chuck movie.

I believe the season was shorter, which maybe wasn't a bad thing? :p 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I was just wondering what show or movie is gonna try using AI to write the script. 

Part of the WGA negotions is dealing with this; From the article I posted earlier:

Lastly, on AI, the WGA wanted to regulate its use on MBA-covered projects but the studios wanted to introduce annual meetings “to discuss advancements in technology”.