The 2023 writers strike is officially on. | deal signed 9/26

57 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

because they aren't. A.I. isn't going to direct a movie. A lot of directors are basically managers. Their department heads handle a lot of the creative decisions... they are there to keep everything moving along for the studio. Mind you I'm talking about the average director for hire that studios emply and not autuers like Nolan, Cameron or Tarantino who handle multiple creative roles and decisions in their films.

I'm with you there but there are a lot of issues discussed during this strike outside of AI, like the aforementioned residuals and royalties from streaming releases, etc. Surely directors would be invested in those issues at least. I would expect journeyman directors to want to get in on that. Perhaps those were negotiated but quite quickly with the DGA, I'm not aware of what the final terms of their renegotiated contract was.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm with you there but there are a lot of issues discussed during this strike outside of AI, like the aforementioned residuals and royalties from streaming releases, etc. Surely directors would be invested in those issues at least. I would expect journeyman directors to want to get in on that. Perhaps those were negotiated but quite quickly with the DGA, I'm not aware of what the final terms of their renegotiated contract was.

The directors got what they were asking for with little to no fuss... they're deals were already sweet so what they wanted wasn't that far apart from what they ultimately got. I'm not aware of DGA members being upset with their deal... they had a sweet contract already compared to actors and writers who were getting squeezed.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The directors got what they were asking for with little to no fuss... they're deals were already sweet so what they wanted wasn't that far apart from what they ultimately got. I'm not aware of DGA members being upset with their deal... they had a sweet contract already compared to actors and writers who were getting squeezed.

I haven't heard about any directors being upset either, it's just surprising the AMPTP seemed to automatically/quickly give directors what they wanted, and then the AMPTP turned around and said no to more or less the same requests from the writers and actors just strikes me as strange. 

Seems like a pretty good deal for the writers, making good headway on every major issue. I know AI gets the headlines, and the protections they got are probably for the best, but I have to imagine the pay and transparency issues were the real sticking points. Especially for a three year deal, the transparency gains are key for seeing exactly how where these projects stand. The language I've seen makes me a it nervous, in particular the phrase "aggregated information". It also only applies to self-produced, high budget programs, but it's a good start. Having any data there will make their next negotiating position so much better.

50 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Looks like John Oliver is back this Sunday, Colbert + Meyers + Fallon + Kimmel this Monday, and The Daily Show is set for October 16th because they still don’t have an actual host and need to play a bracket of rock paper scissors to decide who’s hosting it that week 

Surprised Fallon hasn't suffered worse consequences given all the behind the scenes stuff that came out about him recently.

• True 1

47 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Fallon being off the air while all that came out likely helped him. 

Also probably helped that it's not news that he's a super alcoholic, he's frequently seen absolutely fucking loaded around NYC. And that the new bit was that he can be a dick to his staff while he's hungover. Which isn't good but what was described seemed pretty par for the course for the entertainment industry so I think the shock value wasn't really there. If Fallon got fired for what was described in the article then a LOT of people in the entertainment industry would be getting fired too. 

• True 1

31 minutes ago, Jason said:

Also probably helped that it's not news that he's a super alcoholic, he's frequently seen absolutely fucking loaded around NYC. And that the new bit was that he can be a dick to his staff while he's hungover. Which isn't good but what was described seemed pretty par for the course for the entertainment industry so I think the shock value wasn't really there. If Fallon got fired for what was described in the article then a LOT of people in the entertainment industry would be getting fired too. 

All true, but whether it's common practice in the industry or not, he had a whole expose on a particularly toxic work environment. Usually that means some kind of blowback, though clearly not here.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

All true, but whether it's common practice in the industry or not, he had a whole expose on a particularly toxic work environment. Usually that means some kind of blowback, though clearly not here.

Yeah but it's standard grade toxic work environment for the entertainment industry, so it's not surprising nobody wanted to rock that boat by firing him or calling for him to be fired when they are or have been guilty of the same thing. 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yeah but it's standard grade toxic work environment for the entertainment industry, so it's not surprising nobody wanted to rock that boat by firing him or calling for him to be fired when they are or have been guilty of the same thing. 

Then why bother with the expose? Just to have it on the record? But I take your meaning.

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Then why bother with the expose? Just to have it on the record? But I take your meaning.

I mean I assume the people involved with the expose hoped it'd lead to something, just saying why I'm not surprised it didn't. 

• True 1

I’m surprised that The Simpsons, Family Guy, and Bob’s Burgers all premiered with new episodes this past Sunday. I know that the part of the SAG-AFTRA union that does VA work didn’t strike until sometime in August, but with the writers striking in May I didn’t think they had anything recorded, unless they did the recordings while the writers were on strike? I thought this would be the first year in over three decades that there was no Treehouse of Horror 

On 9/27/2023 at 5:41 PM, Jason said:

he’d only get fired for what came out of the audience and target demographic was upset enough to stop watching and sponsors pulled out. Mainly the last one. 

• 3 weeks later...