FTC proposes rule to ban noncompetes

2 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

All big tech employees have to sign them?

If they’re in CA they’re unenforceable and have been for a century, and why should or would the so called populist gop wing care about tech workers? They decided the only workers worth protecting are blue collar traditionally White occupations

I'm in the Pharmacy Benefit Management industry, have had a non-compete my entire time, they suck.... Super common in the industry even for low level employees. Basically if you want to leave you have to flip back and forth between a PBM, Consultant work, or Health Plans to stay in the industry, but not be in violation. Only other way is like the article said, go burn a year in some other unrelated industry (usually non competes last for a year after leaving company). Working in unrelated industry, especially after you've moved up a bit sucks though since you won't have the industry knowledge you'll likely get paid less, that is if they hire you because they probably can see through you trying to just burn a year.

Other thing that sucks is when you apply for jobs, they'll ask if you have a non-compete. A lot of the HR system just automatically flags you if you answer yes, regardless if your particular non compete applies.

Doesn't even really impact high leadership, they just violate it, wait for the cease and desist, and then typically the new company will make a deal with the old company to avoid court.

Hoping it goes through, would be great for me personally and my industry. Republicans should love it as it's pro-economy/capitalism and Democrats will love it because it's pro-labor. Hopefully there's enough companies that see a benefit of a larger recruitment pool to fight off the lobbying of the companies that see a risk of their underpaid talent leaving now that they have the freedom.

• Halal 1

13 hours ago, Gavin King said:

Hoping it goes through, would be great for me personally and my industry. Republicans should love it as it's pro-economy/capitalism and Democrats will love it because it's pro-labor. Hopefully there's enough companies that see a benefit of a larger recruitment pool to fight off the lobbying of the companies that see a risk of their underpaid talent leaving now that they have the freedom.

Capital loves non-competes because it encourages workers to stay in their job by limiting their options, even if the juice from enforcing a non-compete is almost never worth the squeeze. Without the threat of litigation, companies might have to... treat and pay employees fairly in order to motivate them to stay.

• 3 weeks later...

Noncompetes don't make any sort of sense to me at all. You ain't paying me anymore, I don't give two shits about you. A cool FTC rule would be that if you make an employee sign a noncompete you have to keep paying them after employment ends and until the noncompete ends, bet they'd vanish even faster!

• Sicko 1
  • Halal 3

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Noncompetes don't make any sort of sense to me at all. You ain't paying me anymore, I don't give two shits about you. A cool FTC rule would be that if you make an employee sign a noncompete you have to keep paying them after employment ends and until the noncompete ends, bet they'd vanish even faster!

That's the only way they'd make any sense. This sort of thing is the craziest bullshit.

In 2011, Boston.com reported about a quality assurance tester, Logan Benson, at Rock Band creator Harmonix who was later laid off. Benson had signed a noncompete agreement while working at Harmonix that stipulated they could not work for a competitor for at least a year, despite Harmonix terminating their employment. When Benson tried lining up a new job at a developer in the area who also worked on music-related games, Harmonix enforced the noncompete. Benson was forced to turn down the job, and ultimately left games entirely.

This would explain why I knew multiple people that worked at Harmonix and then left to become software engineers in like robotics and biotech instead of staying in games. You know, aside from those fields just paying better.

• Shocked 1

I've been under one non-compete and when I left they made sure to send me a copy of it.  I just lied to my next employer and said I wasn't under one, it didn't apply anyway.  Every other company has just had non-solicitation agreements, which I've not seen enforced.  I know one guy who left and took 5 people with him to his next company, they didn't care.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

Spicy take. If your job requires you being onsite and you have to use 2FA or are supposed to be on call via email/etc employers should have to provide the devices and monthly service. 

When I was a merchandiser for Pepsi, they gave us a work phone for work. Well if you were a full time merchandiser that is. Needed the phone for on call shifts but mostly used to sign into our stores. Use to be a barcode scan and then they did it by GPS fence. It was glorious not having a phone bill to worry for almost 6 years. 

5 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Spicy take. If your job requires you being onsite and you have to use 2FA or are supposed to be on call via email/etc employers should have to provide the devices and monthly service. 

This is the reason I carry a second phone on me. In years past, when I ran IT, I gave folks several choices for off hours contact or 2FA. They either got a second phone, got a $60/mo stipend to help pay for their personal phone, or I provided them with a physical 2FA token. The number of people that opted for a physical token was somewhere around 2% of our users.

21 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

This is the reason I carry a second phone on me. In years past, when I ran IT, I gave folks several choices for off hours contact or 2FA. They either got a second phone, got a $60/mo stipend to help pay for their personal phone, or I provided them with a physical 2FA token. The number of people that opted for a physical token was somewhere around 2% of our users.

The place I work used to have an external website where you could log in and get a few basic things done (email, timesheet, etc) from any web browser. When we went 2FA that initially was still possible via using a 2FA token on a new version of that external website (eventually they pulled the plug on that website because some massive security hole in the software was discovered). Plugging the company Yubikey into my personal computer to access the website was one thing, but no way am I installing any kind of employer software on my personal devices. One of the 2FA options is a Google Authenticator style app to install on your personal phone and hell no to that, I have a Yubikey and an RSA token style one (push a button and it shows you a code on the built-in screen) that I have primarily as a backup in case the Yubikey gets lost or breaks.

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

The place I work used to have an external website where you could log in and get a few basic things done (email, timesheet, etc) from any web browser. When we went 2FA that initially was still possible via using a 2FA token on a new version of that external website (eventually they pulled the plug on that website because some massive security hole in the software was discovered). Plugging the company Yubikey into my personal computer to access the website was one thing, but no way am I installing any kind of employer software on my personal devices. One of the 2FA options is a Google Authenticator style app to install on your personal phone and hell no to that, I have a Yubikey and an RSA token style one (push a button and it shows you a code on the built-in screen) that I have primarily as a backup in case the Yubikey gets lost or breaks.

Is trust a Yubikeys connected to my personal computers. They're very little more than an external keyboard that just happens to barf up a predictable series of gibberish. Anything else is a big no. Even when I ran IT and approved of everything that could be done with someone's phone, I opted to get a second phone over installing anything on my personal device.

8 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Doesn't seem that spicy. I think a bunch of places already do it and should!