Have you ever complained about the food at a restaurant?

Remarkableriots

Have you ever complained or sent back food at a restaurant? The only thing I ever mention is if they forget something like fries with the burger, for example. I once had to call about the wrong pizza delivered, and they brought back the right pizza. The one that really hurt me to complain about was with my friend's girlfriend when she was a waitress. She gave me the wrong pizza, and I just couldn't eat it because the sauce was disgusting. I had her replace the pizza.

extra-well-done-steak.jpg?auto=compress&
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

A restaurant manager went viral on TikTok after sharing the guest demographic that complains the most: men. 

Something I don't think @Commissar SFLUFAN

Would ever do! He'd probably say "not done enough"! ;)

Only a couple of times that I can recall. Once at a pizza place, my kid ordered some pasta with Alfredo sauce and it was clear the sauce had spoiled, and another time was when my wife ordered something and asked if it had mushrooms in it due to her allergy, they said it definitely didn’t, and turned out it did.

Besides that, I haven’t ever had a food issue that rose to the level of needing to send it back. Even if they bring the wrong thing, I’ll just eat it and move on with my life 😂

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Only a couple of times that I can recall. Once at a pizza place, my kid ordered some pasta with Alfredo sauce and it was clear the sauce had spoiled, and another time was when my wife ordered something and asked if it had mushrooms in it due to her allergy, they said it definitely didn’t, and turned out it did.

Besides that, I haven’t ever had a food issue that rose to the level of needing to send it back. Even if they bring the wrong thing, I’ll just eat it and move on with my life 😂

I'm the same way almost all the time, but that pizza my friend brought out made me gag. I just couldn't eat it at all. It was some kind of barbecue sauce I couldn't stand the taste of at all.

Once, when I was in a vegan phase, I ordered a vegan banh mi and they gave me one with meat in it. I was with my girlfriend at the time, and she insisted on sending it back and getting a new one. I was like... I'd rather not waste food, I'll just eat this one, it's not like I don't like it. She insisted. It was kind of embarrassing.

There was one other time where I ordered chicken wings at a bar that were straight up raw. I'm assuming this place did a par-fry on their wings, like you normally do on french fries for extra crispiness. The problem is you can't very well tell the difference on the outside between a chicken wing that has been par fried and one that has been actually cooked, so there was a mix up somewhere. Like someone left the wings in the basket without dropping them in the fryer, then someone else saw them and assumed they'd already been cooked.

48 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Only a couple times, and it's only because of meats being dangerously undercooked. I'm not going to eat raw ground beef or raw chicken, but otherwise I'm probably going to just eat whatever and move on with my life. :p

Raw beef can be totally safe. That's why beef tartar is a thing. That's why dry aging steak is safe - bacteria only covers the surface, it doesn't penetrate into the meat.

Salmonella, on the other hand, does actually penetrate the meat. That's why raw poultry is always unsafe.

Also why any seafood you've ever had in a developed country is never "fresh caught." USDA requires that all fish served to customers be frozen at some point, so it kind of doesn't make a difference whether you're getting sushi in Seattle or Columbus - as long as it's sourced right, it's all frozen anyway.

13 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Raw beef can be totally safe. That's why beef tartar is a thing. That's why dry aging steak is safe - bacteria only covers the surface, it doesn't penetrate into the meat.

Salmonella, on the other hand, does actually penetrate the meat. That's why raw poultry is always unsafe.

Also why any seafood you've ever had in a developed country is never "fresh caught." USDA requires that all fish served to customers be frozen at some point, so it kind of doesn't make a difference whether you're getting sushi in Seattle or Columbus - as long as it's sourced right, it's all frozen anyway.

Raw ground beef is different than a steak, though. It does carry a risk. 

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

16 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

All true, though I did specify ground beef. With ground beef, surface meat and bacteria gets mixed in with more interior meats, so undercooking it doesn't kill the bacteria throughout. 

Obviously it's not guaranteed to make someone sick, and I've eaten plenty of undercooked burgers in my life, but if it's really undercooked, I'll send it back. Food poisoning really sucks. :p

• True 1

Yeah, if you grind your own meat you can pretty much mainline that shit. It's only the ground stuff from grocery that's potentially harmful.

That being said, I suppose there's always the risk of mad cow disease, but I'm pretty sure you can't cook that out, anyway.

#weprobablyshouldnteatcows

I used to work at this restaurant where we had these 2 guys that would come in probably twice a week. They complained about *something* almost every single time. Their burger wasn't cooked right, their iced tea wasn't strong enough (they didn't drink),  their fries weren't crispy enough, it was too cold in the restaurant, it was too hot in the restaurant (we only had a wood furnace for heat), etc

Eventually after like three years of serving these mooks I finally asked them "honestly, why do you guys keep coming in here, since you clearly hate it?"

Thermally l ultimately they just liked how special they felt by having a manager bend over backwards for them, eventually I was like just fucking go somewhere else, you're disrupting my business.

I usually just get a medium rare cheeseburger or patty melt and fries when I go out to eat. I've never complained about the cook of the burger or the taste, but if they forget the fries, I'll let them know... politely, of course.

If I were to pay $25+ for a meal, I might be a bit more vocal if it wasn't right.

8 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I used to work at this restaurant where we had these 2 guys that would come in probably twice a week. They complained about *something* almost every single time. Their burger wasn't cooked right, their iced tea wasn't strong enough (they didn't drink),  their fries weren't crispy enough, it was too cold in the restaurant, it was too hot in the restaurant (we only had a wood furnace for heat), etc

Eventually after like three years of serving these mooks I finally asked them "honestly, why do you guys keep coming in here, since you clearly hate it?"

Thermally l ultimately they just liked how special they felt by having a manager bend over backwards for them, eventually I was like just fucking go somewhere else, you're disrupting my business.

Would you ever work at an establishment like this?

• Shocked 1

On 12/27/2022 at 8:07 PM, Fizzzzle said:

None of what you said in that last paragraph made much sense lol. If we’re strictly talking about sushi, yes it has to be frozen by order of the USDA. But not all seafood in the United States is frozen nor is that the case for other developed countries either.

• Thanks 2

Only if the staff isn’t speaking english, then I let them have a piece of my mind. I’m just a free thinker and speak my mind, some people are uncomfortable with that but that’s their problem not mine. I don’t care what country I’m in either, if I speak a certain way I expect the same language to be returned in kind.

• Halal 1

I worked in a restaurant for a lot of my youth and while you should always be kind and courteous to the staff don't be such a coward that you're too afraid to let them know there has been a mistake. They're people too and they will understand as long as your request is reasonable 

Example: I remember I accidentally sent the wrong order for a lady she ordered whitefish I gave her salmon she ate the whole thing and didnt say a word after the meal her husband politely pointed out the mistake and I felt like shit becase I knew it was my fault and they didn't get what they wanted. I still remember that like 15 years later, if she'd just let me know I would've fixed it no problem and I wouldn't remember it at all

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

On 12/28/2022 at 6:56 PM, Joe said:

None of what you said in that last paragraph made much sense lol. If we’re strictly talking about sushi, yes it has to be frozen by order of the USDA. But not all seafood in the United States is frozen nor is that the case for other developed countries either.

You right, I meant sushi specifically, I was mixing my regulations up

• Sicko 1

6 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

I worked in a restaurant for a lot of my youth and while you should always be kind and courteous to the staff don't be such a coward that you're too afraid to let them know there has been a mistake. They're people too and they will understand as long as your request is reasonable 

Example: I remember I accidentally sent the wrong order for a lady she ordered whitefish I gave her salmon she ate the whole thing and didnt say a word after the meal her husband politely pointed out the mistake and I felt like shit becase I knew it was my fault and they didn't get what they wanted. I still remember that like 15 years later, if she'd just let me know I would've fixed it no problem and I wouldn't remember it at all

Oh, absolutely.

If someone legitimately messed up your order, say something. They will (or should) fix it.

Just don't be a dick about it.

One time I was bartending and these two ladies were ordering passionfruit martinis that got a sugar rim. They ordered 3 rounds before I realized my salt and sugar had been mixed up, so I had been giving them salt rims the whole time without realising it.

That's one of those times where they could have just been like "... This is salt" and I would have rectified my mistake..

Another time, I was really busy and charged someone for a more expensive drink than what they got without realising it. Totally my fault and their bill ended up being like $20 more than it should have been. Rather than just, y'know... tell me and let me fix it, they paid the bill, didn't tip, and left a note for my manager. It ended up being a whole thing.

• Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Another time, I was really busy and charged someone for a more expensive drink than what they got without realising it. Totally my fault and their bill ended up being like $20 more than it should have been. Rather than just, y'know... tell me and let me fix it, they paid the bill, didn't tip, and left a note for my manager. It ended up being a whole thing.

lol who the fuck doesn't say something in that situation before just stiffing the bartender? If the bill looks wrong I'm saying something.

• True 1

I recently said something over a sandwich at a restaurant being like a dollar more than on the menu. I didn't even care about the dollar in and of itself and would have ordered the sandwich anyhow if the menu price had been accurate, it was the principle of trying to sneak through undisclosed price increases--especially annoying since it was a place where the only menus were digital via QR codes so they especially had no excuse to not have updated the menus at the same time they updated the price in the POS system.

The worst one I ever witnessed was at this sushi bar, and this customer sat nearby at the bar. He tells the sushi chef that he doesn't like a list of ingredients in his roll, so please substitute for something else. 

This chef was crazy busy, and, in my opinion, what he was asking for was impossible!

I don't remember what he didn't like, but one of the things he ordered was literally everything he didn't like! For example, asking for a spicy tuna roll and not liking tuna. The chef said he would have to substitute everything, and the customer said okay. "So how am I going to make this roll?" 

The chef said he would have to substitute everything, and the customer said okay. "So how am I going to make this roll?" He was frustrated! He was probably helping six people in his section and multiple tables at the same time! I could say 7, because I probably ordered enough for 2 people...