4080s are Overpriced and not selling

AbsolutSurgen

41 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That’s well below the US MSRP :confused:

They sold out quickly, which isn't surprising (back up to $1,400). Still officially listed at $999 on the site, but sold out at that price, as well. They were also reference cards direct from AMD. For comparison, I nabbed a 6950 XT direct from AMD Canada for $1,000 a month ago, which was about $400 less than the going rate. AMD gives really good direct buy deals in Canada, but you have to watch the site because they will drop stock randomly and then it sells out. Some people care because they are only reference cards...but lol for $400 less I will take it!

AMD Shop - Buy Processors & Graphics Cards Online | AMD

39 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

They sold out quickly, which isn't surprising (back up to $1,400). Still officially listed at $999 on the site, but sold out at that price, as well. They were also reference cards direct from AMD. For comparison, I nabbed a 6950 XT direct from AMD Canada for $1,000 a month ago, which was about $400 less than the going rate. AMD gives really good direct buy deals in Canada, but you have to watch the site because they will drop stock randomly and then it sells out. Some people care because they are only reference cards...but lol for $400 less I will take it!

AMD Shop - Buy Processors & Graphics Cards Online | AMD

It only does USD for me regardless of what country I choose. The 7900XT is an awful buy at its MSRP fwiw, $100+ less makes it more appealing but the price-to-performance vs the XTX makes 0 sense.

28 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It only does USD for me regardless of what country I choose. The 7900XT is an awful buy at its MSRP fwiw, $100+ less makes it more appealing but the price-to-performance vs the XTX makes 0 sense.

Oh sorry, I mistyped before: it was $900 for the XT, and $999 (CAD) for the XTX. If I could have scooped up the latter I would have tried to return the 6950 XT I bought (still unopened).

Damn it appears my card is affected by the temp issues. 110 degreees in triple A games. It doesn't drop performance much but not a good look for my OCs. 

Unsure what the problem is exactly. I don't have the space to set my case on it's side. I' gonna wait to see what's up and I guess it's either bad thermal paste application or the cooler isn't tight enough.

On 12/25/2022 at 12:29 PM, stepee said:

110 degrees what in the world..you need to put your own cooler on these?

Ok have done some tests and I am gonna guess in my case it's the thermal paste. Put the card upside down and it still hits 110. Gonna look for my thermal paste and open up the card.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, nublood said:

So I’m definitely not as savvy as you guys about PC tech. But why would one need a 4000 series card over say, a 3070 or 3080 GPU?

High framerate 4k gaming

1 hour ago, nublood said:

Is the jump really that noticeable to justify the price right now?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

@Zaku3

Hey so I'm still rocking an intel i5 chip. I've got an Asus Z97 motherboard. 

Does that limit my options for video card upgrades? 

Yes, older i5 CPUs can hold performance back in newer games even at 4k.

You can do a drop in upgrade to an i7 CPU to get you by for a couple more years, but you'll have to buy used.

An i7 4770 + RX 6700\6800 would be a solid upgrade.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Yes, older i5 CPUs can hold performance back in newer games even at 4k.

You can do a drop in upgrade to an i7 CPU to get you by for a couple more years, but you'll have to buy used.

An i7 4770 + RX 6700\6800 would be a solid upgrade.

So the question I would then have is... at what point is it silly to upgrade my machine as opposed to buying a pre-built? 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

So the question I would then have is... at what point is it silly to upgrade my machine as opposed to buying a pre-built? 

4770k CPUs are like $40 on ebay so that's not much extra cost. Maybe if you need more RAM and a new power supply then a prebuilt looks good, but will still cost more. 

What's your motherboard model? There might be more CPU options.

23 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Economical upgrade is a i7 4770k.

Max upgrade is an i7 5775c, probably 10-15% faster than a 4770.

RX 6800 (non XT) would be a good choice for 4k gaming before getting too CPU bottlenecked.

Your computer would then have more GPU power than a PS5 but a bit less CPU performance.

Wow man I really appreciate that 

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Economical upgrade is a i7 4770k.

Max upgrade is an i7 5775c, probably 10-15% faster than a 4770.

RX 6800 (non XT) would be a good choice for 4k gaming before getting too CPU bottlenecked.

Your computer would then have more GPU power than a PS5 but a bit less CPU performance.

What about a q6600

jk it's a 5930k on an Asus x99 :(

9 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

What about a q6600

jk it's a 5930k on an Asus x99 :(

It'll get you by at 4k, and hold its own really well if overclocked. A few games might be bottlenecked, but most won't. I could see pairing it up to a 4080, but the upcoming 4070 Ti seems more suited as the top end GPU to go with it. If you're running lower resolutions, then cheaper cards would be better suited.  @Spork3245 had one recently, he can give you more insight on his gaming experience with it.

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Wow man I really appreciate that 

After looking at some more information, I think it makes the most sense to grab a 4770k and overclock it the best you can. And your best GPU options would be a 6700 XT, 6750 XT, or 6800. The Nvidia equivalents would also be fine: 3060 Ti or 3070. 

6 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

It'll get you by at 4k, and hold its own really well if overclocked. A few games might be bottlenecked, but most won't. I could see pairing it up to a 4080, but the upcoming 4070 Ti seems more suited as the top end GPU to go with it. If you're running lower resolutions, then cheaper cards would be better suited.  @Spork3245 had one recently, he can give you more insight on his gaming experience with it.

After looking at some more information, I think it makes the most sense to grab a 4770k and overclock it the best you can. And your best GPU options would be a 6700 XT, 6750 XT, or 6800. The Nvidia equivalents would also be fine: 3060 Ti or 3070. 

@SuperSpreaderI had a 5960x, so I’m unsure how a 5930k compares. I had mine OC’d to around 4.4ghz (4.3-4.5; I can’t remember). If you’re at 4k and going for 60fps you’re probably fine, you’ll really only run into bottlenecks if you’re shooting for 120fps at 4k. At 1440p and lower you’re likely much more limited. I’d be looking at a 4070 Ti, pending benchmarks, if your goal is 4k 60fps with RT - this is based on the performance increase I received going from an Intel 5960x to an AMD 5900x at 4k with a 3080 Ti (there was a boost, but it still wasn’t hitting 4k 120fps in most games, so if I was locked to 60 there likely would have been about 0 difference)

• Halal 1

10 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Thank you. I have long been scared to buy used, but I’ve got a bid on a 4770k for 40 bucks and a 6800 I’m eyeing is 375 currently… I’ll see what happens. But if I can upgrade the thing for around $400 that’s way better than what I was thinking. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 2:57 PM, nublood said:

So I’m definitely not as savvy as you guys about PC tech. But why would one need a 4000 series card over say, a 3070 or 3080 GPU? Is the jump really that noticeable to justify the price right now?

"NEED" is not the optimal word when dealing with the newest fastest tech. It's "WANT" sir. I'm sure you can understand that right? Even those "SMART" cars out on the road do 65mph {an assumption I'll admit, so maybe downhill at least...lol} but isn't something a little more flashy, faster, and cooler tap into you inner "I WANT X" self sir?

Absolutely no offence intended by that, just an observation. "I WANT" every years newest GPUs, it's that top tier sexy tech that pulls me. Now I have managed to hold off as I have a 2080Ti that is really still pulling it's weight but I want a 4090ti! I'm going to throw caution to the wind in 18 months and buy Nvidia's newest top tier overly priced 50 series and build a high-end Gaming rig around it when ever they are available at or below MSRP as I will not pay scalper or low inventory prices ever on anything PC tech. I can wait. A 5090Ti sounds sooo sexy now don't it? lol 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 1:14 PM, HardAct said:

"NEED" is not the optimal word when dealing with the newest fastest tech. It's "WANT" sir. I'm sure you can understand that right? Even those "SMART" cars out on the road do 65mph {an assumption I'll admit, so maybe downhill at least...lol} but isn't something a little more flashy, faster, and cooler tap into you inner "I WANT X" self sir?

Absolutely no offence intended by that, just an observation. "I WANT" every years newest GPUs, it's that top tier sexy tech that pulls me. Now I have managed to hold off as I have a 2080Ti that is really still pulling it's weight but I want a 4090ti! I'm going to throw caution to the wind in 18 months and buy Nvidia's newest top tier overly priced 50 series and build a high-end Gaming rig around it when ever they are available at or below MSRP as I will not pay scalper or low inventory prices ever on anything PC tech. I can wait. A 5090Ti sounds sooo sexy now don't it? lol 

“Need” is all there is. Want does not exist in the gaming universe sir. Muahahaha