4080s are Overpriced and not selling

AbsolutSurgen

Mentioned in the 4000 series thread; this video was likely recorded prior to the 7900XT/X launch, as since the 4080 jumped to the number 1 seller for gpus on newegg. The price is stupid compared to prior xx80 cards regardless, and it should’ve been closer to $1k. What’s interesting is that the base MSRP ones are what seem to be a little hard to get now, while ones close to $1300 or more are very much in stock everywhere. Guess it shows that $1200 is the max anyone would be willing to pay :p 

Some of the pre-OC’d ones are just insane; there’s a few for $1500+ which is where you go “just get a 4090 ffs” :lol:

Newegg Canada and Best Buy Canada both still have numerous cards in the C$1,750 - $1,850 range in stock (MSRP on FE is $1,650).

42 minutes ago, stepee said:

just pretend you were going to spend scalper prices on a reasonably priced 4080 and it works itself out

With crypto currency mining being gone, and the Covid insanity being mostly behind us, I've mentally moved on from that.

Edit:  Canada computers has TONS in stock, as low as $1,629 -- or lower than MSRP on FE.

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Newegg Canada and Best Buy Canada both still have numerous cards in the C$1,750 - $1,850 range in stock (MSRP on FE is $1,650).

21 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

while ones close to $1300 or more are very much in stock everywhere.

Yes, that’s what I said :santasun:

18 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You missed my edit.  Lower than MSRP ones are available in Canada.

Your edit didn’t exist when I responded. :p 

Weird, in US there’s not much readily available except for the over MSRP ones. I don’t know if they’re jacked up more in CA, though.

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Weird, in US there’s not much readily available except for the over MSRP ones. I don’t know if they’re jacked up more in CA, though.

it’s because prices are jacked everywhere besides US for these 

26 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I mean, in Canada you can still find 4090s for ~$150 above the Nvidia 4090 FE MSRP.  (My local Canada Computers claims to have 10+ Gigabyte 4090 cards at C$2,249 in stock [MSRP of $2,099]).

2 hours ago, stepee said:

it’s because prices are jacked everywhere besides US for these 

Do you know if it's an import or VAT thing, or is it just retailers pricing them higher?

It seems odd to me that if retailers can jack up prices and still sell them that we aren't seeing even more of that in the US.

35 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Do you know if it's an import or VAT thing, or is it just retailers pricing them higher?

It seems odd to me that if retailers can jack up prices and still sell them that we aren't seeing even more of that in the US.

No idea! I think it’s mostly a dollar is very weak everywhere else right now thing

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

I would like to get an AMD card, not necessarily the brand new ones, but I’ve found it kind of frustrating to figure out what is good value / what isn’t and the sheer number of cards out there is confusing. 

What level of card do you normally buy/have right now? If you have one right now how satisfied are you with it's performance and what res do you play at? Do you have any plans to upgrade your resolution?

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I don't get why anyone would pay $1,800 CAD for a 4080 when you can get a 7900 XT for like $1,000. 

It ain't tricking if you got it. But yed I wouldn't at that price. I guess si ce I bought a scalped GPU technically i am probably at like 1.5k as my limit. However I can live with this 1k thing we have going. Though I don't like the 7900XT. It depends on the situation but as a 6800XT owner I didn't see the appeal of spending 800 bucks for +25% performance difference. Spending 100 dollars more for +40jsh% performance sure. 

If anything I think that probably shows how bad RDNA3 is. Like if the 7900XT is aboit +25% over the 6800XT and it would have been the 7800XT based on previous AMD gens then wtf is the 7800XT gonna do vs the 6800XT. If it's cheaper then the 650 of the 6800XT and the same or 5-10% faster bet but otherwise ehh.

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

maybe they want to play Witcher 3 with ray tracing

For me I would just recommend the 4090. It's so much faster and the price difference is such that it's worth it if you ask me. The reviews made me want the 4090 but I'm under siege by anime figures due to the end of the year and I'm not mentally ready to say yolo on a 1.6k graphics card just yet.

Also I do want to report I'm waiting on next year for a new monitor. I found a rumor of I think MSI making a 49in 5120 by 1440p OLED and I'm down. I am pr3tty sure I want OLEE vs LCD but I am unsure if I want to drop ultrawide. If I don't drop it I'd prefer a monitor around my current size. Atleast until I yolo and buy an 83in OLED and just I guess sit further away from my monitor.

10 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

For me I would just recommend the 4090. It's so much faster and the price difference is such that it's worth it if you ask me. The reviews made me want the 4090 but I'm under siege by anime figures due to the end of the year and I'm not mentally ready to say yolo on a 1.6k graphics card just yet.

Also I do want to report I'm waiting on next year for a new monitor. I found a rumor of I think MSI making a 49in 5120 by 1440p OLED and I'm down. I am pr3tty sure I want OLEE vs LCD but I am unsure if I want to drop ultrawide. If I don't drop it I'd prefer a monitor around my current size. Atleast until I yolo and buy an 83in OLED and just I guess sit further away from my monitor.

Corsair is making a 45" Oled Ultrawide that will release early next year.

25 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That price doesn’t seem correct for the 7900 XT. I’m pretty sure it’s closer to $1300 CAD and the XTX is around $1400-1500 right?

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

That's consistent with what I've seen.

Probably more like $1,225-$1,300 for the XT and $1,360-$1,450 for the XTX.

I just can’t wrap my head around using an OLED as a monitor unless it’s as a secondary monitor exclusive for gaming/media. I know it’s gotten better, but burn-in is still prevalent, and considering the amount of static images when web browsing and non-media/gaming use it’s just scary to me considering the price. I’ve seen people claim “oh, you just need to use a live/dynamic desktop background and don’t keep icons on it, and always web browse in full screen mode, and make sure to shut it off when not using it” etc etc etc… but like… I really wouldn’t want to babysit my monitor that much - a TV is one thing but ugh. Just get a high-end mini LED and call it a day :p 

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I just can’t wrap my head around using an OLED as a monitor unless it’s as a secondary monitor exclusive for gaming/media. I know it’s gotten better, but burn-in is still prevalent, and considering the amount of static images when web browsing and non-media/gaming use it’s just scary to me considering the price. I’ve seen people claim “oh, you just need to use a live/dynamic desktop background and don’t keep icons on it, and always web browse in full screen mode, and make sure to shut it off when not using it” etc etc etc… but like… I really wouldn’t want to babysit my monitor that much - a TV is one thing but ugh. Just get a high-end mini LED and call it a day :p 

Wait good point I forgot I had a job. Ok let's see if Samsung puts out a better version of what I already have. I should get like a small dominos table or something that I can use to place my keyboard and mouse in the living room wit USB extensions. 

Ok I'm in the Christmas spirit now. Gotta let heretics know that now I have a plasma gun. Ho ho ho

45 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

hey man, you don’t need to convince me that the best thing is to YOLO and get the 4090 :P

8 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Wait good point I forgot I had a job. Ok let's see if Samsung puts out a better version of what I already have. I should get like a small dominos table or something that I can use to place my keyboard and mouse in the living room wit USB extensions. 

Ok I'm in the Christmas spirit now. Gotta let heretics know that now I have a plasma gun. Ho ho ho

I’ve heard good things about the mini LED Samsungs, but also mixed things about the HDR on them. The current king is the ASUS PG32UQX (the X is important!), but it’s like $1700-2500 depending if you’re willing to get manufacturer refurbished or not :p 

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

There are so many laptops in my house, that I’m pretty comfortable having my gaming computer being pretty much devoted to games and streaming video. 

4 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

What level of card do you normally buy/have right now? If you have one right now how satisfied are you with it's performance and what res do you play at? Do you have any plans to upgrade your resolution?

My video card died last year and I bought a shitty cheap one because the market was still pretty screwy. I have an AMD 6500 XT and I think it's pretty bad! 

I'd like to play newer games and be like on par with my PS5 or better I guess. 

6 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

My video card died last year and I bought a shitty cheap one because the market was still pretty screwy. I have an AMD 6500 XT and I think it's pretty bad! 

I'd like to play newer games and be like on par with my PS5 or better I guess. 

6800XT or better.

WWW.NEWEGG.COM

There may be cheaper ones. Though at it's price of 650 I do recommend just going for the 7900XTX if you are gaming at 4k or 32:9 ultrawide.

6 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

6800XT or better.

WWW.NEWEGG.COM

There may be cheaper ones. Though at it's price of 650 I do recommend just going for the 7900XTX if you are gaming at 4k or 32:9 ultrawide.

Appreciate it man. I recently got a pretty decent monitor to pair with my PS5 so I'm def 4K capable here. 

Any sense of the market in terms of, is that level of card at a potential tipping point for a discount? 

5 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Any sense of the market in terms of, is that level of card at a potential tipping point for a discount? 

Now with the release of the 7900 XT/X and the impending 4070 Ti release next month are where the 6xxx AMD cards and 3xxx nVidia cards have been getting slashed, especially if you don’t mind used (but still under warranty)