4080s are Overpriced and not selling

AbsolutSurgen

4 hours ago, stepee said:

I mean there’s a bunch of different ways to look at it, and everyone has a different setup and priorities, it’s just that when one card is about 30% more powerful for about 30% more money, you can’t flat out say it’s not worth it at 4k. That 30% is going to make for a much nicer experience depending on your use case.

It might not be worth $400 more to YOU, which, understandable! But for me if say the 4090 didn’t exist and these were my options I would absolutely find the 4080 worth another $400 myself.

4k60, not just 4K.  If someone cares for higher FPSs, then yeah, that 30% uplift will push things in an appreciable way for them.  Gives more room to drop settings too if they care to go even higher.  But if a nice (if not flawless) 4k60 experience is the primary aim, I think 4080 could still be overkill for the price for most AAA games in the middle of this console gen.

I could be totally wrong in that, we’ll see what happens.  We could also be headed towards a time when max settings vary WILDLY.  On that note, I’m quite curious as to how the 4080 will handle Overdrive RT in Cyberpunk.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

The 2070 was $500 and was slightly better than a 1080 (but fell fairly short of a 1080 Ti) which was a $600 card (the 1080 Ti was $700). The 3070 slightly outperformed the $1000 2080 Ti for $500. It was not a normal thing, even then.

20 series was also price inflated but they did add RT and DLSS, two new features that are useful.

1070 > 980 ti

970 >= 780 ti

770 > 680

670 > 580

In some generations even the 60 class card matched a previous 80 class.

4070 Ti is now priced as a flagship used to be but delivers what used to be midrange performance, relatively speaking.

Edit: The 4070 is half the specs and performance of a 4090. Historically speaking, the 60 class cards used to be half the 80 class cards and the 70 class sat in-between.

This generation has by far the worst inflation of MSRP.

Just now, cusideabelincoln said:

You do have credit Ngreedia's marketing for releasing the 4070 Ti the same day as CES. They knew it would get slammed and hoped the news would bury some of the negativity.

I've move on to the cool stuff. I want to see 7xxxx3d reviews and some laptop gpu benches.

9 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

20 series was also price inflated but they did add RT and DLSS, two new features that are useful.

1070 > 980 ti

970 >= 780 ti

770 > 680

670 > 580

None of those match the price gap of the 2080 Ti vs 3070, hence, why it was a great a deal. Also, the 970 was fairly below a 780 Ti at launch, in fact, the 980 was barely 10% faster than a 780 Ti when the 9xx series launched :p 

10 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

None of those match the price gap of the 2080 Ti vs 3070, hence, why it was a great a deal. Also, the 970 was fairly below a 780 Ti at launch, in fact, the 980 was barely 10% faster than a 780 Ti when the 9xx series launched :p 

Honestly I forgot how much of the "halo" price inflated during the 20 series as Nvidia launched the 20 series Titan at that ridiculous $3000, just so they can release the 2080 Ti and make it seem like a deal.  So I consider the 3070 being $5-600 a return to normalcy as the previous x70 class cards were in the $400 market.

In 3 generations Nvidia has inflated the price of a 70 class card by double.

$400 1070 (Ti) ->

$500 2070 (super) ->

$500 3070 / $600 3070 Ti ->

$800 4070 Ti

• Halal 2

50 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Honestly I forgot how much of the "halo" price inflated during the 20 series as Nvidia launched the 20 series Titan at that ridiculous $3000, just so they can release the 2080 Ti and make it seem like a deal.  So I consider the 3070 being $5-600 a return to normalcy as the previous x70 class cards were in the $400 market.

In 3 generations Nvidia has inflated the price of a 70 class card by double.

$400 1070 (Ti) ->

$500 2070 (super) ->

$500 3070 / $600 3070 Ti ->

$800 4070 Ti

If you think prices on these things don’t eventually rise, I really don’t know what to tell you. Up until the 3000-series refresh the price creeping was fairly normal. I mean, the GeForce 2 Ultra was $500, should all flagships still be $500?
The 2080 Ti was a huge leap over the base 2080, practically a generational leap, which justified its price tag. That $3k Titan RTX was a workstation card meant as a Quadro alternative, it’s performance was within 5% of (sometimes less than 5%) a 2080 Ti in most games.

If you don’t think the 3070 wasn’t a hell of a deal considering the performance vs the previous xx70, I seriously think you’re just being salty and obstinate at this point.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

If you think prices on these things don’t eventually rise, I really don’t know what to tell you. Up until the 3000-series refresh the price creeping was fairly normal. I mean, the GeForce 2 Ultra was $500, should all flagships still be $500?
The 2080 Ti was a huge leap over the base 2080, practically a generational leap, which justified its price tag. That $3k Titan RTX was a workstation card meant as a Quadro alternative, it’s performance was within 5% of (sometimes less than 5%) a 2080 Ti in most games.

If you don’t think the 3070 was a hell of a deal considering the performance vs the previous xx70, I seriously think you’re just being salty and obstinate at this point.

There should be a price creep, I just think it is out of control and the crypto inflation has given these companies the perfect cover to take advantage of us well into this gen.  The 3070 wasn't a deal, at least not anymore than any other 70 class card like the 970/1070 before it.

30 series only looks like a good value proposition because the 20 series was a relatively small (raster) performance jump over the 10 series because they added Tensor and RT cores. The 20 series was at least understandable; they were using the die space to add features and die space costs money. When the 30 series comes along, they've don't need to proportion out extra die space for RT and Tensor cores; every part of the die can just be beefed up and thus they can make it look good relative to the 20 series with minimal extra cost per die area. It's a return to normalcy before the 20 series.  Well, not a complete return to normalcy, because then Nvidia makes the 3070 Ti $100 more expensive whereas the previous generations' 70 refreshes (2070 super, 1070 Ti) came in at the same price.

Now the 4070 Ti comes along and just makes an absurd price jump, and the only added benefit is Frame Generation, which doesn't require nearly as much extra die space as entire cores. Nvidia, and AMD, are upcharging based on existing performance, not based on whatever manufacturing costs were added.

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

There should be a price creep, I just think it is out of control and the crypto inflation has given these companies the perfect cover to take advantage of us well into this gen.  The 3070 wasn't a deal, at least not anymore than any other 70 class card like the 970/1070 before it.

The 970 performed under the 780 Ti, the 980 was barely faster than a 780 Ti at launch. The 980 Ti was the only 9xx card with a generational leap over the 7xx, so the 1070 kinda had to match it. Those were actually bad deals. The 3070 offered 150% improvement over the previous xx70 card, and for the same price. It was not only a great deal, but the best deal a xx70 card has offered. The 3080 was also a very good deal.

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Now the 4070 Ti comes along and just makes an absurd price jump, and the only added benefit is Frame Generation, which doesn't require nearly as much extra die space as entire cores. Nvidia, and AMD, are upcharging based on existing performance, not based on whatever manufacturing costs were added.

2 hours ago, Massdriver said:

How much stock do you have in Nvidia and AMD @Spork3245? ;)

If either of you think I’m defending the current pricing, you must’ve missed the dozen+ posts I made saying that the 4080 is overpriced and should be $1k and that the 4070 Ti isn’t a great card for the price either :p 

Saying that the 3070 wasn’t a good deal is just the silliest god damn thing I’ve heard.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

The 970 performed under the 780 Ti, the 980 was barely faster than a 780 Ti at launch. The 980 Ti was the only 9xx card with a generational leap over the 7xx, so the 1070 kinda had to match it. Those were actually bad deals. The 3070 offered 150% improvement over the previous xx70 card, and for the same price. It was not only a great deal, but the best deal a xx70 card has offered. The 3080 was also a very good deal.

If either of you think I’m defending the current pricing, you must’ve missed the dozen+ posts I made saying that the 4080 is overpriced and should be $1k and that the 4070 Ti isn’t a great card for the price either :p 

Saying that the 3070 wasn’t a good deal is just the silliest god damn thing I’ve heard.

The 700 series aged like warm milk and wasn't fully dx12 so the 970 is just a better card than 780 ti now.

3070 was a 50% improvement and that is just standard. I'll just never consider it a great deal. It's a normal deal imo.

And to answer a previous question I am salty at these corporations :p

• True 1

8 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

The 700 series aged like warm milk and wasn't fully dx12 so the 970 is just a better card than 780 ti now.

It ran cooler and had better power efficiency, if you were on something like a 5xx or the AMD equivalent at the time, of course the 970 or 980 was the card to get, but in terms of overall performance boosts they were arguably the worst generational boost we’ve seen.

8 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

3070 was a 50% improvement and that is just standard. I'll just never consider it a great deal. It's a normal deal imo.

Previous xx70 bumps (ie: 1070 to 2070) was typically 30-40% (1070 to 2070 closer to 33%).

You may not consider the 3070 a deal, but you’re in a very small minority.