The Midnight Club - the latest Mike Flanagan joint dropped on Netflix today, update: Netflix declines to renew for second season

TheLeon

10 episodes. Based on the novel by Christopher Pike. 

And I thought this was pretty funny: The Midnight Club is in the Guiness Book of World Records for most jump scares in a single episode. 

“My whole career I completely shat on jump scares as a concept, and I wanted to make sure it was pinned to me, too, as much as it is to the show, to Netflix, and all of us who have inflicted this on everyone,” Flanagan said. “Now, I have my name in the Guinness Book of World Records for jump scares, which means next time I get the note, I can say, ‘You know, as the current world record holder for jump scares, I don’t think we need one here.'”

4 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Yes, and The Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor, Doctor Sleep, and more. 

Nice! Man I can’t remember a time when I had more shows currently airing or releases I was trying to watch all at once. 

Rings of Power

House of the Dragon

Andor

Cobra Kai

British Baking Show

Interview with a Vampire

Midnight Club

and I feel like I’m forgetting a couple others haha

6 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

thought I saw a review claiming the first episode has the most jump scares ever in a film 

“I thought, ‘We’re going to do all of them at once, and then if we do it right, a jump scare will be rendered meaningless for the rest of the series.’ It’ll just destroy it. Kill it finally until it’s dead, But that didn’t happen. They were like, ‘Great! More [scares]!'”

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

This is more of a scary kids/teens/YA show from Flanagan. I heard it's still good, but I wouldn't expect Gerald's Game/Doctor Sleep/The Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor/Midnight Mass I'd expect. 

Yeah, the main cast are all teens, and the source book is from an author who mostly wrote YA. But going just by the first episode, it doesn't seem like it's going to be watered down that much. Feels like it could get to some pretty dark places. 

But if people are let down by that, don't worry, he's got The Fall of The House of Usher coming out (presumably) next year. 

• Halal 1

I'm a little over halfway through the series. Like I said, it's tonally different than Flanagan's other stuff, but it's still really good. It's definitely aimed at more of a YA audience, which you can tell by how on-the-nose a lot of the social commentary is, but it still doesn't hold back in terms of storytelling or creepiness.

• Halal 1

Alright, so I decided to finish the series in one go.  It's an ostensibly YA series, so it is basically emotionally manipulative by default, but if you don't cry at some point during the last couple episodes, you're a goddamned psychopath. It's not often you say that about horror.

I always feel so conflicted seeing an announcement about another Mike Flanagan project. I have nothing against him, but given that my wife is his ex-wife, I can’t help but compare his successes to my own…and that part of me that’s struggled with self esteem issues in the past has a field day with the comparisons, regardless of how stupid they are. 

Of course, it doesn’t help when my mother-in-law (who has some narcissism issues) never ceases to post headlines about him on FB, commenting about how he is her former son-in-law. 

• Shocked 2

18 minutes ago, GoldenTongue said:

I always feel so conflicted seeing an announcement about another Mike Flanagan project. I have nothing against him, but given that my wife is his ex-wife, I can’t help but compare his successes to my own…and that part of me that’s struggled with self esteem issues in the past has a field day with the comparisons, regardless of how stupid they are. 

Of course, it doesn’t help when my mother-in-law (who has some narcissism issues) never ceases to post headlines about him on FB, commenting about how he is her former son-in-law. 

Courtney Bell?

Also you’re the best. :call:

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, GoldenTongue said:

Your wife is Mike Flanagan's ex-wife? :o

6 hours ago, GoldenTongue said:

I can see how that might cause some weird self esteem issues.  On the other hand, you can always go to bed every night swaddled securely in the blanket of “I lay the pipe better than Mike Flanagan.”  

• True 1

Great show so far. I always enjoy his Netflix series, but they also usually suffer from some shaky acting (usually from his wife). I actually find this to be the best-acted series, so far (finished the first five episodes). If I had to rank the series I've seen (so far), it would be:

1. Midnight Mass (9/10)
  2. The Midnight Club (9/10)
  3. Haunting of Hill House (8/10)
  4. Haunting of Bly Manor (7.5/10)
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Great show so far. I always enjoy his Netflix series, but they also usually suffer from some shaky acting (usually from his wife). I actually find this to be the best-acted series, so far (finished the first five episodes). If I had to rank the series I've seen (so far), it would be:

1. Midnight Mass (9/10)
  2. The Midnight Club (9/10)
  3. Haunting of Hill House (8/10)
  4. Haunting of Bly Manor (7.5/10)

Have you also seen his movies? Where do they rank for you, out of curiosity?

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

I don't think I've seen any. I don't particularly like horror movies, mainly because of the jump scares, but I do seem to like his Netflix series since it's more about atmosphere.

I haven't seen it yet, but isn't the first episode (at least) of The Midnight Club full of jump scares? :p 

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

I haven't seen it yet, but isn't the first episode (at least) of The Midnight Club full of jump scares? :p 

They're almost all in one scene, and it's completely absurd. Others were annoyed by it (as evidenced in this thread), but as soon as I realized what was happening I just started laughing. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2022 at 2:35 PM, GoldenTongue said:

Lol, yep. Small world and all that ****. 

She and I were high school sweethearts, then reconnected about 20 years later on Facebook. 

She worked in LA in the entertainment industry while she was married to him, but left it a couple years after they divorced. 

I have questions, but I’ll let it all go. :p